StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "New-to-me" 2015 DL650A has this oil filter installed by the PO. The bike has other high quality farkles so I assume this is something very good? I have had very good luck with OEM and K&N oil filters over the years and have no issues with going back to one at my next change. Can anyone here tell me what this filter is, and its pros and cons?
Oil Filter.jpg

·
Registered
454 Posts
That's a Flo reusable oil filter. Quite controversial reading the comments in this article. I don't remember seeing it on this forum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Yes, it's a Re-usable System..........seems like alot of mess and some time to clean every so often. I prefer the disposable type.........unscrew, toss, screw a new one on. Done.
If it was me, I would replace with a disposable unit, sell the SS Unit here on the forum or Ebay........

·
Registered
404 Posts
The 400,000+ mile DL1000 used (maybe still uses) regular oil filters changed per the owners manual. And regular automotive synthetic oil.
I have heard that kevlar clutch fibres will survive regular automotive oil without slipping. Is that what is in the 400,000 mile bike?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Wix 51359 works too. Available at auto stores, which is convenient for me.

Maybe someone will confirm this Wix P/N is correct.

Welcome

:)

·
Super Moderator
16,228 Posts
K&N or OEM for me, but many like the WIX filters or the NAPA brand which I also believe is rebranded WIX?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hi Big B.

Thought of you, a week, or two, ago, when OSU played Kentucky in basketball. Wondered who you cheered for!

Sorry for the brief thread hijack...

·
Super Moderator
16,228 Posts
Hi Big B.

Thought of you, a week, or two, ago, when OSU played Kentucky in basketball. Wondered who you cheered for!

Sorry for the brief thread hijack...

Always big blue for roundball and OSU for that weird shaped ball. Happy to see the Bucks doing well in roundball, they are certainly better than the overrated Wildcats this season.

As for oil filters, there are some threads/posts here on the forum which list all the many recommended after market filters available for these bikes, but yeah I wouldn't go with a reusable unit like the one you have on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would stick with factory spec oil and filter for worry free reliability. I trust OEM engineering over whoever makes shiny aftermarket parts for lots of different models.Sames goes for other engine intake/fuel/oil components.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I believe it was all stock except for the K&N air filter and that seemed to be a theme. Stock equipment, normal oil and filters, routine maintenance at the recommended frequency. I'm sure someone here can find his thread. It's still here somewhere.

Google found it - The 400,000 mile K3 DL1000 V-Strom
Castrol car oil and Fram oil filters, k&n air filter and....87 octane gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts