StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil changes are easy and changing the filter is also very easy. Most of the time. As we all know, the factory says to really crank on the filter - two turns after "contact" and there are lots of threads about wrenches to do the job. Of course, I have been following those directions like a good boy.

This time, as I was removing the oil filter (an "EMGO" - what the dealer had and promised was perfect for the job..) I put on my filter wrench (from Cycle Gear - fits perfectly) and start to unscrew. It takes a little force but starts to move. After several revolutions, I determine that I am not getting anywhere. The "can" of the filter body is moving inside of the flange of the spin-on mounting plate!

To make a long story short and spare the innocent of my feelings, I bought a big (18") Stilson wrench - also known as a pipe or monkey wrench. Quite unsophisticated - and cheap. The flange of the filter is slightly larger that the mounting surface (yay!) and after removing the oil pressure sender for clearance, the big wrench can fit in and get a good grip on the flange. It gets the good grip by digging into the flange so I had to be careful not to get a grip in the engine! After a fraction of a turn, I could resort to turning the body of the filter with the regular wrench. I am really glad I didn't have to resort to some sort of mayhem like detroying the filter to get to the mounting plate from the inside.

The rest of the oil change went without incident.

So if this happens to you - don't panic or go the the dealer that sold you the shitty filter (that day), just get some old fashioned tools and have at it.

B

·
0 Posts
If you used the factory filters and the suzuki oil filter wrench/tool, your oil changes would be done in an instant!! :)

B

·
0 Posts
I guess it is possible that you got a bad filter but I have used Emgos with good results on multiple bikes and 100s of thousands of miles so I don't think it's the brand.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My .02 cents on this is only tighten a genuine Suzuki oil filter two full turns, after initial contact. Tighten all other filters two bare hands tight only.
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
A1A

Can't agree with that statement. If the aftermarket filters are used go with the 2 turns as recommended by Suzuki. At my first service at the dealer I watched the fellow put on an aftermarket filter and tighten it by hand. When I did the next change myself I got a surprise. The filter was loose enough to take off with fingertips only. Why it didn't leak is beyond me. I put the new filter on 2 turns. The o-ring has to be compressed enough to seal securely..

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've probably changed 500 spin-on oil filters in my lifetime, on cars, motorcycles, airplanes, what have you. On every single one, I've generally adhered to the rule of getting the filter on as tight as you can with your bare hands. I've never had one loosen, leak, or give me any undue amount of trouble getting off later.

YMMV.

- Mark

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Markjenn

Been there, done that and it works great. #501 leaked and almost cost me the price off an engine. After that I changed my method a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
When I first checked Suzuki's recommendation on filter tightening in users manual I also was pretty much surprised! :shock: This method of tightening the oil filter with 2 full turns is quite uncommon in vehicle's world or at least I have never heard it.
Does anybody have an idea what is the reason behind? I can only think on the heat-expansion due to the design and light alloy material of the engine block. I mean if you use the same size filter on a car it is not specified to tighten other than the good old way with hands.
:?: :?: :?:

K

·
0 Posts
I believe it has to do with the type of gasket on the filter. A round o-ring type requires more pressure to seat properly because it has to flatten somewhat. A flat suface only requires about 3/4 of a turn to seal.

·
Registered
566 Posts
water warrior said:
A1A

Can't agree with that statement. If the aftermarket filters are used go with the 2 turns as recommended by Suzuki. At my first service at the dealer I watched the fellow put on an aftermarket filter and tighten it by hand. When I did the next change myself I got a surprise. The filter was loose enough to take off with fingertips only. Why it didn't leak is beyond me. I put the new filter on 2 turns. The o-ring has to be compressed enough to seal securely..
I use my hand to tighten my oil filters.

Now that we have that out of the way.....if you can loosen the oil filter on my bike using your hand only then I'll give you the bike! :p

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I also tighten by hand.

I happen to have very strong hands/wrists (drummer for over 20 yrs).

Never have I had a filter back out or come loose on me, on the contrary, when I used to use a wrench and go 1 - 1 1/2 turns (NEVER more than that) I have had to use a screwdriver to punch a hole thru the damn filter and lever it back out. Ever since that not-so-enjoyable experience I put them on very handtight and never had an issue.

Of course, checking the filter for seeping or leaks before ANY ride will eliminate 99% of any tragic oil mishaps on the road. Two seconds to peek under the bike, and/or put a hand on that filter (especially before an all-day or multi-day trip) is all it takes to be sure!

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
RubberDown

Now you have me chuckling and holding my sides. I am almost tempted to show up for your next oil change. What color is your bike and Vee or Wee. Of course you would ride it up here for me wouldn't you ? lol.

·
Registered
566 Posts
water warrior said:
RubberDown

Now you have me chuckling and holding my sides. I am almost tempted to show up for your next oil change. What color is your bike and Vee or Wee. Of course you would ride it up here for me wouldn't you ? lol.
ahhhhhh but you have to let me ride the bike first.

Now would be an excellent time because....
a. I'm due for an oil change and
2. the oil filter has been on there for 3500 miles.

It's a beautiful RED DL650. I don't do house calls so you'll have to ride to Ideeeho.

·
Registered
566 Posts
MonkeyGrass said:
I also tighten by hand.

I happen to have very strong hands/wrists (drummer for over 20 yrs).
My brother from another mother! :lol:

BTW....my challenge excludes anyone with drummer experience.

*Post edited by my super-ego*

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
RubberDown

If all goes well I might be in your State in 4 or 5 weeks. Driving or riding is still unknown. Where abouts are you in Idaho ?

Q

·
0 Posts
the oem filter has an o-ring...which i believe seals much better then a normal gasket.

also...the threads are super long on the filter housing so i doubt you need to tighten it 2 full turns.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No claim to particularly great hand strength, but I got the old filter off by hand (dirt from the front wheel provides great traction). I was also able to do the two full turns by hand. I marked it just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Stromski said:
No claim to particularly great hand strength, but I got the old filter off by hand (dirt from the front wheel provides great traction). I was also able to do the two full turns by hand. I marked it just to be sure.
You may not claim great hand strength but you've got it. If you can get two full turns on that filter by hand I do not want to mess with you... sir.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just changed the oil & filter on my SV650 using a stock Suzuki filter and tightened the filter two full turns after initial contact. The first thing I noticed was that Suzuki has changed there oil filter manufacturer to made in China. I noticed that this filter tightened a lot easier and that I could have probably tightened the filter two turns by using my bare hands.
Where before the previous manufactured Suzuki oil filter would be an effort to tighten the last 1/4 turn of the two turn cycle.
To those who use non-Suzuki oil filters and especially if you use the K&N oil filter with the welded nut on the end of the filter. BEWARE, as the K&N filter will slip or spin before it gets even close to two full turns tight. :shock: Now how do I know that! :roll:
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts