StromTrooper banner

Oil filter change hassles

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Barney 
#1 ·
First I have been working on bikes, my own and others for more decades than one should admit too, in fact I don't do dealers for any service. I like to know the work was done by one who is brighter than a trained chimp.

Test results are available to those requesting them showing I outscored Bobo in everything except the tossing of feces and that was rigged. I had already relieved myself before I knew the test was going to conducted.

Back to topic, I got a '03 1000 about 5 weeks ago and when it was picked up from the dealer (Golden Gate Cycles in San Francisco) they stated the oil had been changed. it did look that way. But later at my home 700+ miles away in checking the oil per the manual I found the level was well above the window. I drained at least a half quart and still felt it was a bit high. But I rode it another 4,000 miles while waiting for a filter from the local dealer.

This last weekend, I drained the oil and found had about 3.5 quarts in it and had yet to remove the filter and its contents. So I went to remove the filter, I had an appropriate end style wrench but I couldn't move the filter, the wrench would just twist off. So I tried a rubber strap style wrench, no luck there either, so I then tried the pliers style filter wrench I have, all that accomplished was a crushing of the filter body. Starting to get a bit po'd, not having a steel strap style in the correct size I went out and bought one.

Got home and still couldn't get it to twist off, it would just slip. So I had a old front tube from the KLR, I cut a piece off and forced it over the filter. Then with the steel strap and a (can you believe this?) a 18" breaker bar I got it to twist off. The seating surface looked good, no real corrosion or other imprefections that would have hindered the removal.

Got my 3.1 quarts in and took it for a ride in the rain and wind to relax.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't even like to take my car in for oil changes--I know I will double check for leaks and appropriate snugness of the filter and drain plug.

It's my guess that the person who put on the oil filter did not first lubricate the gasket. And then that person probably kept adding oil until it was visible in the little window even though the bike was at an angle on its kickstand.

G
#4 ·
TomStromie said:
I don't even like to take my car in for oil changes--I know I will double check for leaks and appropriate snugness of the filter and drain plug.

It's my guess that the person who put on the oil filter did not first lubricate the gasket. And then that person probably kept adding oil until it was visible in the little window even though the bike was at an angle on its kickstand.
Or the filter was over-tightened or both. Suzuki recommend putting a smear of oil on the mating surfaces, screwing the filter on by hand until it meets the resistance of touching the engine, then tightening two complete turns. They recommend marking the 'top dead centre' (their phrase) of the filter so you're sure you get the two full turns only.

#5 ·
And the last person(s) to state they did an oil change to my bike was the dealer in San Francisco where it was bought from. As if I needed any more reasons why I don't let any "professional" work on my bikes. There must be a decent mechanic at a dealership in the country but I don't bother looking for one.

#6 ·
i have yet to find a dealer that i can trust with anything. therefore i know of a couple of local shops who are run by racers. they support their racing by their shops and i totally trust both of them to work on my bike (they are also my friends). one of them is so anal about his machines (they are always perfect) that he can work on my bike and i'll never think twice about it. besides, their labor charges are about half of the dealers.

i always change the oil/filter myself though.

#7 ·
Before embarking on a career change 4 years ago, I was a car mechanic, mainly at Ford dealers, and I can confirm that some "mechanics" have very little idea what they're doing!

If it's at all possible, I think it's a great idea to do your own maintenance, particularly the simple oil and filter changes. Not only do you know it's done right, you also save some $$$$.

For the bigger jobs though, or if you don't have the skills/confidence to tackle it yourself, ask around other riders, they will soon point you in the direction of a reliable grease monkey. Fortunately there are some good ones out there too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.