StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Suzuki bikes use a 1mm pitch oil filter thread. The typical thread for other makes of car and bike is 1.5mm.

I have the list of filters that fit the Suzuki thread saved to copy and paste every time this question is asked. Be aware the Suzuki filter is the only one needing two turns after contact. The others are usually hand tight or 3/4 to 1 turn.

oil filters
AMSOil SMF 109
Baldwin B7419
Bike Master 314-0025
Champion PH7016
Cycle Power 314-1919
Emgo 10-55662
Emgo 10-55660
Fram PH6018
Hi-Flo HF138 <-- Recommended
J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
K&N 138 <-- Recommended
NAPA Gold 1359 (at UAP/NAPA) <-- Recommended
WIX 51359 (at UAP/NAPA) <-- Recommended
Parts Unlimited
Per-Form J-509
ProPart 01-0029
Purolator ML16818 <-- Recommended
STP SMO-18
Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07 or 16510-07J00 <-- Recommended
VESRAH vsf-3009

Recommended means John Weldon at VSRI cut it apart and liked what he saw. He has not checked all makes.

Filters for cars and other bikes can be used if the stock filter spigot is replaced. Bales Technical Service Oil Filter Adaptor

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
from what i understand even if car filters fit the bike doesn't run at the right pressure for the filter to filter. saving a dime could cost you a dollar..

·
38,047 Posts
Filters don't run at a certain pressure. Pressure differences are about when the bypass valve opens to let unfiltered oil through to prevent oil starvation. Plenty of people run filters along with a Bales adapter without a single problem. I put one on my '07 Wee at 50,000 miles IIRC. It has passed 126,000 miles with a new owner.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I've always used the Wix filter in Greywolf's list. No known issues.

Also available at O'Reilly's auto parts.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Suzuki bikes use a 1mm pitch oil filter thread. The typical thread for other makes of car and bike is 1.5mm.

I have the list of filters that fit the Suzuki thread saved to copy and paste every time this question is asked. Be aware the Suzuki filter is the only one needing two turns after contact. The others are usually hand tight or 3/4 to 1 turn.

oil filters
AMSOil SMF 109
Baldwin B7419
Bike Master 314-0025
Champion PH7016
Cycle Power 314-1919
Emgo 10-55662
Emgo 10-55660
Fram PH6018
Hi-Flo HF138 <-- Recommended
J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
K&N 138 <-- Recommended
NAPA Gold 1359 (at UAP/NAPA) <-- Recommended
WIX 51359 (at UAP/NAPA) <-- Recommended
Parts Unlimited
Per-Form J-509
ProPart 01-0029
Purolator ML16818 <-- Recommended
STP SMO-18
Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07 or 16510-07J00 <-- Recommended
VESRAH vsf-3009

Recommended means John Weldon at VSRI cut it apart and liked what he saw. He has not checked all makes.

Filters for cars and other bikes can be used if the stock filter spigot is replaced. Bales Technical Service Oil Filter Adaptor
Does this list of filters work for both the 650 and the 1000 all model years?

·
38,047 Posts
Yes. Suzuki pretty much settled on one filter for its entire line of streetable bikes.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I've always used car filters on my bikes, if there was a car equivalent. I used the Fram PH6018 on the V-Strom, and a Mobil M1-108 on my Super Ten. So far, neither one of my bikes has flown to pieces like the Bluesmobile.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Where's the Bales Adadptor?

Anyone know where the Bales oil adaptor site go? I get a 404 error...file not found!

·
38,047 Posts
They closed down. :crying2:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Be AWARE

He just because an oil filter fits the threads and physical location doesn't always mean its the right choice.

A number of years ago I asked the same question about my 2005 Honda ST1300 oil filter. It was then I was educated about the internals of screw on oil filters.

For instances did you know that there are bypass valves in most filters? The valves allow oil to flow if or when the filter becomes clogged so as not to starve the engine of oil causing major damage. Because a motorcycle engine is usually much smaller than an automobile engine and carries less oil the pressure at which these internal bypass valves open is critical.

Also there is anti-drain back valve in the filter on the DL1000 that many auto filters don't have.

A cross reference guide produced and update 3-9-2017 by

Oil Filter Cross Reference indicates the best non Suzuki filter for the DL1000 2002-2016. Recommended non Suzuki filter is Mobil M1MC-133 that actually costs more than an OEM filter.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
He just because an oil filter fits the threads and physical location doesn't always mean its the right choice.

A number of years ago I asked the same question about my 2005 Honda ST1300 oil filter. It was then I was educated about the internals of screw on oil filters.

For instances did you know that there are bypass valves in most filters? The valves allow oil to flow if or when the filter becomes clogged so as not to starve the engine of oil causing major damage. Because a motorcycle engine is usually much smaller than an automobile engine and carries less oil the pressure at which these internal bypass valves open is critical.

Also there is anti-drain back valve in the filter on the DL1000 that many auto filters don't have.

A cross reference guide produced and update 3-9-2017 by

Oil Filter Cross Reference indicates the best non Suzuki filter for the DL1000 2002-2016. Recommended non Suzuki filter is Mobil M1MC-133 that actually costs more than an OEM filter.

I’m using the Wix filter. Had my oil analyzed and the lab said my filter was very good. It has a drain back valve and works. I get it at the convenient auto parts store near me. Fear mongering has no place in mechanics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Fear mongering has no place in mechanics.
Not "fear mongering" at all. I use just what the motorcycle manufacturer recommends, order them online 3 at a time, sent to my house. All at a discount.
Use what they recommend, and you dont even have to THINK about it, much less fear anything.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Not "fear mongering" at all. I use just what the motorcycle manufacturer recommends, order them online 3 at a time, sent to my house. All at a discount.
Use what they recommend, and you dont even have to THINK about it, much less fear anything.

You had a valid point on the bypass valve so I looked it up. The Suzuki and Wix filter I use has the same bypass pressure. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
926 Posts
Most of the filters listed in the hoggdoc's link I recognize as being intended for motorcycle use, and have personally used the Fram, HiFlo, Purolator, and Wix 51359. (Don't recognize the other Wix on the list.) Point is, they are motorcycle filters that meet manufacturer specs, so no problem using them. I go for wix these days since my employer started carrying them a few yrs ago, and I get a discount.

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts
My Valkyrie engine is pretty much a car engine, so car filters work great. LOL

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is there any of this filters that fit the Vstrom DL1000 K4 without an adapter?

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts
Is there any of this filters that fit the Vstrom DL1000 K4 without an adapter?

To my knowledge all on the list above are compatible with the OEM filter threads. The K&N, Napa and WIX filters I have used at least once, I now use nothing but the K&N 138.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts