1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using either of these:

HiFloFilto Oil Filters-HF138

Repsol Oil Moto Sintetico 4T 10W40 1 Liter

I just paid $60 for OEM filter and Honda Syn. Oil (ouch). I know it is good insurance to use the good stuff, but $60? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx, Doug.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Castrol Syntec 20W-50 $3.99/qt at Wallyworld. Closeout changed p/n Suzuki filters (dealer closeouts, they can't use the old p/n's anymore so I was told) off of eBay 5 for $5.99 including shipping. Oil change = ~ $18.00 USD

·
Registered
566 Posts
DCDL said:
Honda HP4-10w40 @ 9 bucks a quart (ouch)(Purchased 4), and oem filter was $17.
That's some mark up by your dealer! :shock: I wouldn't pay $17 for the OEM filter when you can order it online for $7. I'm not a big fan of the Honda oil either. OTOH, if you must use HP-4 then order it from the link I posted for $6. I believe they will ship for free if you order $25 or something like that. I like Mobil 1 or AMSOIL but that's just me and I understand oil is like religion so in the words of Forrest Gump "that's all I have to say about that" :eek:

T

·
0 Posts
nine bucks a quart? thats just insane...i just use regular havoline oil...its a suzuki not a rolls royce merlin.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the cost

I appreciate your responses and your different points of view.

Even at $60 for the oil change, the expense is less then 1/10 of 1% of the cost of the bike. I, like many, plan on having this bike for a long, long time, so taking great care of it is worth the added expense. That being said, if I can save a few bucks in the process, great. I am very open to other brands of synthetic bike oil, that’s why I asked about the aforementioned brand.

I have heard so many good things about the oem filter that I think I am sticking with it (just not at $17). But I am still open to other’s experiences.

Thanx for any help. Doug.

B

·
0 Posts
Mobil 1 15W50 full synthetic.. don't waste your money on the marked up moto specific oils... it is nothing but advertising and scare tactics. :x I pay $4.79 a quart at Meijer, Wally World has it too!! Less price with same protection, as the highest price moto synthetics. :wink:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Re: the cost

DCDL said:
I appreciate your responses and your different points of view.

Even at $60 for the oil change, the expense is less then 1/10 of 1% of the cost of the bike. I, like many, plan on having this bike for a long, long time, so taking great care of it is worth the added expense. That being said, if I can save a few bucks in the process, great. I am very open to other brands of synthetic bike oil, that’s why I asked about the aforementioned brand.

I have heard so many good things about the oem filter that I think I am sticking with it (just not at $17). But I am still open to other’s experiences.

Thanx for any help. Doug.
At that rate my bike with 44k on it and changes every 2k (which I do) it would come to around 13% of the cost of the bike (based on $7900 for a DL1000). Pretty expensive for 2 years of just oil changes. :shock:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep

yeh. Originaly, I thought that riding the dl to work would save me money because of the gas milage (my daily is a Nissan Titan). But now I think it costs more, due to the cost of the oil change, tires, valve adj., ect....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: yep

DCDL said:
yeh. Originaly, I thought that riding the dl to work would save me money because of the gas milage (my daily is a Nissan Titan). But now I think it costs more, due to the cost of the oil change, tires, valve adj., ect....
$70/week in my Titan 330 miles per week (@3.00/gl)
23 weeks per oil change in the Titan $30.00 or $1.30/week (7500 miles)
Tires @ 55000 miles 167 weeks $3.60/week ($600 for tires)
About $75/week to drive my Titan

1K V'Strom
$24/week gas 330 miles/week
$1.49/week oil (4000 miles/change)
$6.67/week for tires (8000 miles)
About $32.16 to operate the 'Strom
Add in the valve adj, I'm figuring if you let the shop do it $400. Do it yourself much less.
$9.42/week
Total 'Strom $41.58
YMMV

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the break down

Good Job, Dude. I'm sold. Vstrom it is!

BTW, how are your breaks on the Titan. Had my discs replaced at 6K under warenty. Nissan is going to replace everything again when the "new" type of pads come in. Wife's titan too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the brakes on the Titan. My trips to work are 29 miles highway with no stops and mostly about 5 miles around town. That may have something to do with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts