StromTrooper banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased this oil filter adapter. I have successfully removed the old adapter, however I am having a difficult time removing the old Loctite. Any advice on how to remove it from the internal threads? Like the instructions state, I have used a shop rag to try and get it out but it hasn't worked that well. I have thought about using my gun cleaning kit with some solvent to remove it. Is that a bad idea?

·
Registered
531 Posts
if you have a heat gun, that will do the trick to soften the Loc-Tite, then wipe with shop rag.

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used a micro torch and it seemed to work OK. There was still some remnants of the old Loctite. Adapter went in well and all looks good.

Since I am using a slightly larger filter (1 inch longer) does it make sense that I would also use more oil? I put in 2.9 qts and it shows low.

TIA

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The larger filter will use more oil. I put in 3 quarts.

·
Registered
241 Posts
whats the average turn around tim? I ordered one 2 weeks ago and have received nothing. My email to them has gone unanswered. I need to change my oil soon.

·
38,104 Posts
One week would be unusual.

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats the average turn around tim? I ordered one 2 weeks ago and have received nothing. My email to them has gone unanswered. I need to change my oil soon.
I got mine in 3 days to Portland, OR! I was very impressed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I just ordered one on Monday (maybe Sunday night) and it showed up yesterday (Thursday.)

I have a question about the locktite: suppose I left it, that passage (that the adapter screws into) is clean oil out of the filter, correct? Therefore I don't want anything that might break loose and end up in the bearings.

·
38,104 Posts
I left the old stuff there. It isn't going anywhere.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I recently purchased this oil filter adapter. I have successfully removed the old adapter, however I am having a difficult time removing the old Loctite. Any advice on how to remove it from the internal threads? Like the instructions state, I have used a shop rag to try and get it out but it hasn't worked that well. I have thought about using my gun cleaning kit with some solvent to remove it. Is that a bad idea?
When my filters are used up I'm installing one of these so I can use Purolator filters. As a bonus I checked the site you listed and it gave me an alternate Purolator 1 filter for my CB1000 with no adapter necessary which I installed today without getting robbed by the dealer for an inferior product.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Used a micro torch and it seemed to work OK. There was still some remnants of the old Loctite. Adapter went in well and all looks good.

Since I am using a slightly larger filter (1 inch longer) does it make sense that I would also use more oil? I put in 2.9 qts and it shows low.

TIA
What filter did you use?
Bill

·
Registered
275 Posts
There was a post telling about some kind of "shallow extractor" for removing the OEM part in order to use the Bales adapter. I thought I had saved the info, but now I can't find it even by searching. Anyone remember the McMaster Carr part #?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
153 Posts
There was a post telling about some kind of "shallow extractor" for removing the OEM part in order to use the Bales adapter. I thought I had saved the info, but now I can't find it even by searching. Anyone remember the McMaster Carr part #?

Thanks guys!
Thanks for reminding me to post these pics I took a month ago when I installed mine. I went with the PureOne filter.

I got mine at Sears for less than $10
#6 15/32 ID screw extractor [not specifically a "shallow" one but as you can see it didn't protrude all the way through]
it hardly made any marks on the old filter thing at all. 2 quick taps with a hammer and then I just backed the old one out with a crescent wrench.

screw extractor still in the adapter after removal:

old adapter:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks tpak, that doesn't look just like the one in the other post, but if it works and I can slide over to Sears and pick one up, so much the better. :thumbup:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks tpak, that doesn't look just like the one in the other post, but if it works and I can slide over to Sears and pick one up, so much the better. :thumbup:
Yeah - the other one was smaller and cheaper at $4 but then with shipping I figured it was a wash and I was headed to Sears to get a broken ratchet replaced anyhow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is this the one you were thinking of?
Did ya find one? if not you are welcome to borrow mine

·
Registered
35 Posts
I received my BalesTech adapter in about a week, but then I'm a long way from them.

I removed the old loctite with acetone and a stiff steel wire brush from a local plumbing supply house (intended for cleaning copper sweat fittings). My bronze 12 gauge cleaning brush was too soft.

I use the Wal-Mart oil filter, the ST7317, only because it's black. The Purolator is yellow, and I don't want anything around that can be associated with the North Avenue Trade School. May paint the next filter red. . .

Three quarts would have been fine. I put in 3.1 and it's stayed right at the full line for 700 miles or so. No drips so far, nor oil misting.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I have just ordered the second adapter for our vstroms.

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What filter did you use?
Bill
I used the Puralator Pure One PL14612. Picked it up at a local store for $5.99.

Very happy with how it worked out. Put in 3 full qts like Greywolf suggested.

:thumbup:

Reactions: jsrocket469
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.