StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed oil over the weekend and now I have a slow drip. I rode to work today and had one drop of oil on the drain plug when I arrived after 26 miles commute. I tightened the plug but I am freaked out about those posting about stripped oil pan. I don't have a torque wrench and am not sure that I'd use it if I did, based on reports of problems with over tightening. I did not change the drain plug washer, but I consulted the dealer here and they don't always change the washer either.

I know this thread sounds rediculous because most would advise to change the washer and use the torque wrench, so I really don't know what to say, except I'll put the wrench on the plug again, just to make sure it's snugged up.

·
Super Moderator
16,234 Posts
Could just be oil that worked it's way down from the threads when you tightend it, wipe it off and just keep and eye on it for now. I think you will be fine since you just barely snugged up the bolt, just always be sure to use an open end wrench and not a socket. For the record, I almost never changed crush washers on every bike I have owned.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
oil leak

Apparently crush washers work better than flat washers and should be replaced each time. Ya, they can be a pain to get off the drain plug.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
Sometimes the washer falls off the plug and is still in the oil when you put the plug back in.
That's a bother cus you loose a lot of oil even if you are fast doing the swap-o change-o.
I've had the washer last through years worth of changes even at 3 K intervals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts