Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could this drain plug be any longer?!? sheesh..my GS750 had a nomal length one... not to mention the crush washer makes for some fun when trying not to over tighten. When you have to crankit down to get the seal you want crikey...

First of many oil changes is now finished... the oil filter it can stay on there for another round as I could not budge the sucker as I lacked a wrench this time around...gemini christmas!:headbang:

·
Registered
506 Posts
The crush washer is pretty funny looking. As for the filter, I use the "end cap" to take it off that hooks up to a 3/8 drive (can't remember the exact name of it). Makes changing the filter a snap. Besides, it's better than leaking...:beatnik:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Could this drain plug be any longer?!? sheesh..my GS750 had a nomal length one... not to mention the crush washer makes for some fun when trying not to over tighten. When you have to crankit down to get the seal you want crikey...

Don't just crank it down:fineprint: it requires 21 nm of torque and a new crush washer. The crush washer is there to help seal and to absorb some of the torque so that you don't strip the thread.:headbang:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have never used a filter wrench. I just get mine off with a large pair of channel-lock pliers. If the filter gives you trouble just crush it flat, which will give you a nice surface to grip.

·
Registered
381 Posts

Don't just crank it down:fineprint: it requires 21 nm of torque and a new crush washer. The crush washer is there to help seal and to absorb some of the torque so that you don't strip the thread.:headbang:
Oops. I've never used a new crush washer. Can you get them at Napa for instance or just the dealer? No problems leaking or over tightening so far but my bike only has 6,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
NAPA and other parts stores have oil drain plug gaskets in assorted sizes and materials. You need to know the millimeter diameter of the threaded section. I use the nylon (or plastic or whatever) gaskets; the fiber also works well. Aluminum is OK, and copper might be too hard to deform and seal before the aluminum threads in the sump strip out.

The OEM item is a real crush washer. Buy whatever's convenient to get to.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
No oil filter cap wrench? Really need it off?

Hammer and a screwdriver will do it. Tap the screwdriver through the filter as far as possible...then grab the screwdriver handle and twist it loose. Voila.

Though that method can be a little dirty. :fineprint:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Thanks PT, I better get a few.
Some people have used the same crush washer a dozen times. Before using a new one, get the old one off. It gets squished into the drain plug head and needs to be pried off with a knife. If the plug is old and darkened, the aluminum crush washer may look to be a lighter color.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Oops. I've never used a new crush washer. Can you get them at Napa for instance or just the dealer? No problems leaking or over tightening so far but my bike only has 6,000 miles on it.
Don't ask your dealer, tell him to give you a new washer/gasket with the filter. He should know better:headbang: Take an OEM with you if you go to Napa.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Same here except 50,000 miles. Reckon I need a new crush washer?
Ya, but I know you have a digital readout on your right wrist which has grown there from continuous experience. Some of the peeps on this forum have yet to reach that plateau.:green_lol::biggrinjester:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Solid washer

My dealer recommended a solid aluminum washer.

I've been using the same one for at least a half dozen oil changes. I torque it per the service manual: 15 ft-lb.

No gouges on the mating surfaces. Easy to clean. No leaks. Perfect.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
I've been using a solid aluminum Honda washer for a couple of years now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts