StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I notice that there have been 13 views and no responses. Either the question isn't clear, no one who read it changes their own oil, or no one wants to answer. Which is it?

Andy

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Does this mean the plug washer should be replaced every oil change because it is crushed from the last oil change ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
It will be less likely to leak if you replace it, but replacement is not mandatory. You might take the washer and the plug to your local auto parts store and try to match it with a new one...some are rubber coated.

Not worth paying to have one shipped, IMO.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would replace it if the drain plug was seeping oil when properly torqued. You should get at the very least, 5 oil changes without worrying about the washer.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm not replacing mine until it starts leaking. :) Has anyone had to replace their washer because it starting leaking?

My car drain plug and washer look exactly the same and it never has leaked after at least 15 oil changes.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Chris, I tend to agree with your thoughts but here is another to consider. What materials are used for cars and bikes. Different metals could make the difference with your car parts having a longer service life. Maybe, maybe not. Strom On.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Very true. Now that I know that some recommend changing it periodically I'll definitely keep my eye on it.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
The washers are cheap. Buy a couple and tuck them away in your tool box. Saves that Sunday afternoon panic when you need one and you don't have one.

F

·
0 Posts
ChrisW123 said:
I'm not replacing mine until it starts leaking. :) Has anyone had to replace their washer because it starting leaking?

My car drain plug and washer look exactly the same and it never has leaked after at least 15 oil changes.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Typical No-Cal mentality.
The crush washer is a one time use.
I learned this from my first BMW, an R-90-S in 1975.

The "crush washer" serves a purpose, one time and only one time.
You are going to wait til it starts leaking on you rear tire and THEN CHANGE IT? You'll be changing more than a crush washer!

1. These things are cheap
2. You do the RIGHT thing and replace it EVERYTIME
3. You don't worry about it again

An Ex So-Cal said that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Further said:
You are going to wait til it starts leaking on you rear tire and THEN CHANGE IT? You'll be changing more than a crush washer!
If it leaks enough oil to get on your rear tire, there is something other than a re-used crush washer that needs attention. :lol:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Further said:
OK then, I'll just remove the thing so I never have to replace it. How's that? :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
I like your idea best... When blue smoke pours out the back I'll know it's time to try to make it to the dealership to pick up some oil plug washers, before the bike siezes up. :D :D

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The BMW crush washer is different. It's hollow and deforms when used to fill the space between the seat and the screw head. It needs to be replaced each time. The Suzuki washer is solid. As long as the surfaces involved are not to badly scratched or deformed, replacement after single use is not required.

F

·
0 Posts
OK then, I'll just remove the thing so I never have to replace it. How's that?
Chris;
How's That?
How's This; According to your approach of "I'll change it when it starts leaking" one must conclude that if you had chest pains you would wait until you had a heart attack before seeing a doctor.

Please let the people you ride with be in front of you so your errant ways will not involve them!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Further said:
How's That?
How's This; According to your approach of "I'll change it when it starts leaking" one must conclude that if you had chest pains you would wait until you had a heart attack before seeing a doctor.

Please let the people you ride with be in front of you so your errant ways will not involve them!
Relax Further, I'm kidding.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts