StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the oil tonight on my 05 DL650. I have an engine guard on it but left it on since there is a hole to insert a socket and get the oil drain bolt out. The bolt came out very smoothly with no issues. Now I'm trying to put the bolt back in and it will not thread nicely at all. I feel it get stuck and I have to apply more pressure than I'm comfortable with which makes me fear I'm setting myself up for a stripped or cross thread situation.

Should I feel it 'grab' when it first catches or should it be smooth all the way up to the crush washer? The washer is on the bolt so I know the bolt is not grabbing that. I'll remove the guard if I have to so I can get in there better but I was hoping to avoid that step.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just using a deep socket with your fingers will give you a little leverage but not enough to damage threads. Start by rotating backwards, like loosening, till you feel the threads fall-in the correct starting point. If you need more leverage than a deep socket and fingers, you're cross-threading.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that was the confirmation I needed! First time doing this and I didn't realize how easy the skid plate could be dropped. Filling her up with some clean oil right now!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just using a deep socket with your fingers will give you a little leverage but not enough to damage threads. Start by rotating backwards, like loosening, till you feel the threads fall-in the correct starting point. If you need more leverage than a deep socket and fingers, you're cross-threading.
That's why I posted. I was attempting what you suggested but every time it was grabbing. I think the socket plus engine guard gave me the wrong angle.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Those "wobble" type extensions for you socket wrench are helpful when you have those small misalignments. Cheap addition to your tool box from Harbor Freight. I also have the "ball" ended Allen wrenches for the same reason when working around brake calipers on various bikes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts