StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an oil consumption, not sure how much, think it varies alot, but let's say it's 2 dl (0,8 cups) on 1000 km (621 miles)

First of all I hate to bring spare oil with me every time I go for a little longer ride, also I find it little hard to check the oil on those bikes, it's really need to be all straight, slightest tilt and it goes from like full to min.

First I checked in the airbox, it was little oily inside but this was after I had bought it and took it home, later I had it open 2 times again and then it looks dry, just the sponge in the crankcase ventilation that is wet under.

Friends told me when we drive together that my bike smells like burnt oil when I goes on higher rpm, I checked it yesterday when its standing still and if you pull the throttle to higher rpm:s you get a bad smell yes.

A compression test on the engine when its fairly cold shows 9 bar on the front cylinder and 10 on the aft cylinder, also the aft builds up its pressure faster.

So engine is worn?
Need honing cylinders and replace piston rings?

If it was not for the oil consumption I would not think about it to much, because I cant really tell that there is any lack of power on the bike (but never been driving another strom to compare with).

The meter now shows 53000 km or like 33000 miles

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2014 DL1000
37 Posts
You could try a different brand of oil, or try going to a 20w50 weight if you don't ride in cold weather.
What brand and weight oil are you using now ?
How's your fuel mileage ? Running too rich can cause oil consumption.
33K miles sounds low to be having a oil burning problem.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
So I have an oil consumption, not sure how much, think it varies alot, but let's say it's 2 dl (0,8 cups) on 1000 km (621 miles)

First of all I hate to bring spare oil with me every time I go for a little longer ride, also I find it little hard to check the oil on those bikes, it's really need to be all straight, slightest tilt and it goes from like full to min.

First I checked in the airbox, it was little oily inside but this was after I had bought it and took it home, later I had it open 2 times again and then it looks dry, just the sponge in the crankcase ventilation that is wet under.

Friends told me when we drive together that my bike smells like burnt oil when I goes on higher rpm, I checked it yesterday when its standing still and if you pull the throttle to higher rpm:s you get a bad smell yes.

A compression test on the engine when its fairly cold shows 9 bar on the front cylinder and 10 on the aft cylinder, also the aft builds up its pressure faster.

So engine is worn?
Need honing cylinders and replace piston rings?

If it was not for the oil consumption I would not think about it to much, because I cant really tell that there is any lack of power on the bike (but never been driving another strom to compare with).

The meter now shows 53000 km or like 33000 miles

Thanks for any help!
Hi Folivora, welcome. I bet my 2002 DL1000 uses the same amount of oil and mine has a bit lower kms on it. I call it normal. It doesn't hurt, and may even help the stator, to have 200 or 300 ml over full, anyway. That would mean that you would then be less than 1 litre low (yes, that much is too low) when due for an oil change. I don't mind topping up the oil occasionally (once or twice) between oil changes. Your compression is fine considering it was taken cold. The smell at high revs could also be fuel - a bit rich. Lots of manufacturers prefer to set the mixture a bit rich up top for fear of overheating pistons and valves. That's why a lot of remaps (for gasoline engines) are significantly leaner at high revs to make more power.

Ride it and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Compression should be tested on a warm engine, according to my manual. And:

"Overhaul the engine in the following cases:
  • Compression in one cylinder is below 800 kPa
  • Difference between cylinders is more than 200 kPa
  • All cylinders are below 1000 kPa"

If you do get the same measurements with a warm engine, then I'd guess an overhaul is indeed in order. I wonder why though. 53000 km is not a lot for these bikes. They regularly go beyond 100000 km. Has the bike ever been abused or run "dry"?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could try a different brand of oil, or try going to a 20w50 weight if you don't ride in cold weather.
What brand and weight oil are you using now ?
How's your fuel mileage ? Running too rich can cause oil consumption.
33K miles sounds low to be having a oil burning problem.
I use Motul 7100 fully synthetic 15W -50 here gets a little cold in the autumn so not really want to use a thicker one, but I guess could change brand.
It's just I always used Motul in all my bikes.

She consumes around 0,7 liters of gas per 10 km.

The sparkplugs looks normal for me when I look at them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Compression should be tested on a warm engine, according to my manual. And:

"Overhaul the engine in the following cases:
  • Compression in one cylinder is below 800 kPa
  • Difference between cylinders is more than 200 kPa
  • All cylinders are below 1000 kPa"

If you do get the same measurements with a warm engine, then I'd guess an overhaul is indeed in order. I wonder why though. 53000 km is not a lot for these bikes. They regularly go beyond 100000 km. Has the bike ever been abused or run "dry"?
It seems little difficult to check her when shes warm as its such a hassle to remove the spark plugs, tank and cooler is in the way as well as all plastic covers.

I got her in 2019, I have no idea what she been through before that, atleast on the outside she seems okay.

She always start up, I not feel any real lack of power, she goes into the red rpm area if you want and seems accelerating as you would expect.

She dont like to go under 2000 rpm, but I gues thats normal for this type of cycles?

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
836 Posts
You can buy a lot of oil for a hundred bucks. The consumption is not that heavy yet.

Cold compression numbers are not super reliable, so I wouldn't make any expensive decisions based on those readings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can buy a lot of oil for a hundred bucks. The consumption is not that heavy yet.

Cold compression numbers are not super reliable, so I wouldn't make any expensive decisions based on those readings.
Yes, sure not that big yet, just I am used to like zero consumption and not wish to bring oil with me always.

I only did compression test once before, it was on an 4 cyl engine kawasaki z 750 -81, then it was almost identical for cold and warm engine.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,219 Posts
I was in a similar boat not too long ago. My 2007 DL1000 was nearing 95000 km (~59000 miles) and I was having around 1 liter/1600 km disappear.

I posted about it somewhere in the last year, if you care to search.

Like you, I looked in the airbox for a cause. It was not oily. Since I was in there, I replaced the crankcase breather foam (the sponge you mentioned). Checked for oil leaks, using a UV-fluorescent dye and UV flashlight. Did not find a leak. The new crankcase breather foam made no difference.

Did not get as far as a compression test. Bike was totaled for me in May.

Supposedly my oil consumption was normal. Having to add a liter every 1000 miles/1600 km seemed to me excessive. I did not like the thought of needing to top up in the middle of a road trip, but I guess it could have been worse.

I never noticed a smell of burning oil, but I don't know where else it could have gone, other than burning.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an 02 DL1000 with 225000 km and it does burn a little bit of oil. I change oil at 5000 km intervals and I find that for 3000 to 3500 km it needs virtually no topping up but starts using oil after that. Over the 5000km it would probably use about 250 -300 mls of oil mainly towards the end of the 5000km. I use a 15-50 w mineral oil. Maybe that you need to change your oil more often?

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Pull the top off the airbox and replace the sponge in the circuit that collects oil blown out of the crankcase. They fall apart after a few years and there's probably only sad remains of sponge there now. A mower air filter cut to size works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pull the top off the airbox and replace the sponge in the circuit that collects oil blown out of the crankcase. They fall apart after a few years and there's probably only sad remains of sponge there now. A mower air filter cut to size works.
My sponge is there and not falling apart, its oily but only on the underside, no traces of oil on the airfilter or in the airfilter box.
So it seems its not this way the oil goes, even if fine vapours, it would leave some traces I guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have an 02 DL1000 with 225000 km and it does burn a little bit of oil. I change oil at 5000 km intervals and I find that for 3000 to 3500 km it needs virtually no topping up but starts using oil after that. Over the 5000km it would probably use about 250 -300 mls of oil mainly towards the end of the 5000km. I use a 15-50 w mineral oil. Maybe that you need to change your oil more often?
I also run on 15W-50 oil, I change every year, thats what I been doing with other bikes and as this one also needs to be topping up from time to time I not see any need to change it more often.

If any I would feel it consumes more oil after its been topped up than when its in between full and min on the seight glass.

The oil in the glass looks like new all the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was in a similar boat not too long ago. My 2007 DL1000 was nearing 95000 km (~59000 miles) and I was having around 1 liter/1600 km disappear.

I posted about it somewhere in the last year, if you care to search.

Like you, I looked in the airbox for a cause. It was not oily. Since I was in there, I replaced the crankcase breather foam (the sponge you mentioned). Checked for oil leaks, using a UV-fluorescent dye and UV flashlight. Did not find a leak. The new crankcase breather foam made no difference.

Did not get as far as a compression test. Bike was totaled for me in May.

Supposedly my oil consumption was normal. Having to add a liter every 1000 miles/1600 km seemed to me excessive. I did not like the thought of needing to top up in the middle of a road trip, but I guess it could have been worse.

I never noticed a smell of burning oil, but I don't know where else it could have gone, other than burning.
I found your thread now yes.
Sorry for your accident.

It seems like many have this oil consuming problem.

For me Im thinking about what to do with it, Im not really have somewhere to go and try fix this by myself, so it would have to go to some mechanic and that would probably be expencive.

To sell it feels so so when it consumes oil too.

Its sad I like the model.....

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
From experience with my Gen 1 650. Couple of options, replace the valve stem seals, run a much heavier oil. There are 60W diesel oils, those.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Keep it and ride it. If you're on a trip there would likely be somewhere on that trip to buy a litre of oil when you see it is a HALF litre low. Top it up and if you don't have space to take the remainder in the litre bottle with you, leave it there for someone else to use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts