StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost a month ago returned from a trip with two friends. They both have 1000cc street bikes (R1 & GSXR1000) so in order to catch up with them I had to push my wee engine. By “push” I mean 180Km/h (~110mph) for about 1 ½ hours and for some time 190Km/h (~118mph). I know that I shouldn’t but… unfortunately this is what I did. Returning home I checked the oil level and I realized that more ½ litter was missing! I added some oil and I understood that I should not be so harsh with my bike.

Yesterday, I returned from my village, so I put on about 600Km on my odometer. Most of the time I was traveling with 140Km/h (~85mph) as I always do.

Checking the oil level I noticed again that about ¼ of a litter is missing again!
Have I done something irreversible to my wee? The engine sounds as always and I didn’t notice any difference in performance or gas mileage.

I have now almost 17000Kms on my odometer… She is too yang to die!!!

Have any one of you noticed this happening?

Please let me know…

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you were running under red line, I can't imagine what permanent damage you could have done. Change your oil and use a different brand and/or weight, see if that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you were running under red line, I can't imagine what permanent damage you could have done. Change your oil and use a different brand and/or weight, see if that helps.
Thanks ronnielyons!
All the time I was in 6th gear so no redlining at all.
Do you think that some oil consumption is normal?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That is what gets reported for sustained high speed running. My guess is the oil gets churned up enough in the transmission to lose it out the crankcase breather. The only time my bike uses oil is when I take a trip out west and run at 6000rpm all day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some folks are saying about oil missing when use full syntetic oil at high RPM.And when they use semi symtetic there is no such thing like missing oil.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I think that one thing that could make a difference is viscosity. I wouldn't be surprised if 20W-50 will last longer. I think I'll try it before the Arizona trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts