StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys:
I notice in my last trip that my bike was consuming oil , burn it, 'cause where else could it go :confused:

It was in summer, so temp was between 25 to 39 Celsius (yes it was hot)
I rode about 940 km in 3 days including offroad , and I had to add up 300ml of engine oil back home.

My bike is a 2016 650 XT, almost 2 years old and 26.400+ km. Normally used as a commuter, sometimes a trip on weekends. Yes, I like to start hard on traffic light and leave the cars behind. Usually riding between 4,000 and 7,000 rpm.
24k service was made about 2 - 3 months ago, including valve clearance check. (I hope all was put back together correctly by the mechanic)

Has anyone have the same oil consumption issue ?
Is it normal?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
On the older WEE 650 engines it was the common understanding that that engine would burn some oil when running for extended periods at higher revs, regardless of engine age. If I remember right Greywolf was theorizing that there were some oil fumes getting into the airbox and some get consumed, some drop back down.

My Wee would burn some oil when running hard for hours on the interstate but basically non when cruising around regionally.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that answer Blaustrom, it give me a bit of peace of mind, but still worries me a bit. May I need to carry a can of oil in a long trip then ?

Also well done by remembering Greywolf.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
thanks for that answer Blaustrom, it give me a bit of peace of mind, but still worries me a bit. May I need to carry a can of oil in a long trip then ?

Also well done by remembering Greywolf.
I did. I added one of those "tool tube" containers to my setup and found a drink bottle that fit nicely inside and had that filled with oil. But that was only ever used when tracking 2k miles going out west across the continent.

·
Administrator
13,203 Posts
Hi guys:
I notice in my last trip that my bike was consuming oil , burn it, 'cause where else could it go :confused:

It was in summer, so temp was between 25 to 39 Celsius (yes it was hot)
I rode about 940 km in 3 days including offroad , and I had to add up 300ml of engine oil back home.

My bike is a 2016 650 XT, almost 2 years old and 26.400+ km. Normally used as a commuter, sometimes a trip on weekends. Yes, I like to start hard on traffic light and leave the cars behind. Usually riding between 4,000 and 7,000 rpm.
24k service was made about 2 - 3 months ago, including valve clearance check. (I hope all was put back together correctly by the mechanic)

Has anyone have the same oil consumption issue ?
Is it normal?
Some oil consumption is normal, especially with higher revs. There is one other thing that can be at play:

If your normal riding mainly short trips of less than half an hour and/ or you "warm it up" by sitting there idling for a while there is a tendency for water vapour to condense in the crankcase and get absorbed into the oil. When the oil gets good and hot the water essentially boils out and the oil level can appear to drop.

..Tom

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
I've noticed my '04 Wee uses oil as you describe but I've got 99.5K miles on the engine. I usually carry a 1/2 liter bottle of oil with me on extended mile trips.
GW suggested that a full oil fill on the site glass, as seen on the centerstand, would be at the top of the glass.
I start that way and if it drops to below the center of the glass, I add some.
After hours at 70+ mph the level drops. I don't notice an overly sooty tailpipe and it doesn't feel greasy, I don't have oil spots on the ground where I'm parked so I don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Yep, that will send some into the bottom half of the air filter clam-shell....been there, done that, will do it again.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
There is an oil coalescer in the air box. They disintegrate over time. You can check that. Should catch oil vapors.

My SV had a bad oil ring and was using a lot of oil so I had to get new rings. Could be cylinder scratched too. Bad valve guide seals will blow smoke on start up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you dropped your bike by any chance? ( you mentioned off road riding)
Yes, in Dec, drop in sand, no damage at all
and in this trip , slide in grass, rigth hand mirror stuffed.
Engine guard in perfect state or any other piece , all good.
It's an Adventure bike, right ?
How that relates to burnt oil?

·
Registered
484 Posts
It could be that all those dirt naps caused oil to get into your air-box. Quite a common phenomenon when laying the bike on its side.

·
Administrator
5,027 Posts
I still favour V-Tom's explanation that many short trips create condensation in the crankcase, and then a good long hot run evaporates that condensation away.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Have you dropped your bike by any chance? ( you mentioned off road riding)
have you open the air box after these events? It's common sytuation that oil goes there when bike has been laid down (as mention above). I'm pretty sure your missing oil ended up there. If it is a lot of it you can even thing when looking at exhaust when running the motor that is burning oil (blue smoke coming out). It is burning the oil. not from the engine tough but from the air box.

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
When mine has taken naps the collected oil in the air box was minimal. Yeah, there was some there but a couple shop towels and it was all better.
not enough to notice a real drop in the site glass. Maybe righting the bike before too long kept the amount down?
A couple times i lost it in a campground and we waited until the others showed up for picture and helping lifting it up. It takes a village to take care of me!
I probably owe them a 6 pack!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I still favour V-Tom's explanation that many short trips create condensation in the crankcase, and then a good long hot run evaporates that condensation away.
hmmm , considering that the oil temp of an operative / warmed up engine is about 90 Celsius (5 min ride will give you that temp), and water evaporates at 100. I don't think water plays a big role there. it would be very visible in the oil glass as water does not mixes with oil at all.
I mean 200cc - 300 cc of oil is the difference between Low and High marks .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So basically the big question here is :
Do you all loose a bit of oil every , let's say 1,000 km when riding hard / revving high ?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Riding 10 V Stroms never noticed loosing oil in 10 000 km (not talking 1000km) except one time when it took a nap and wheels ended up being higher than the fuel tank. At this occasion there was quite bit of oil in the air box. But, I almost never reve it really high though.

·
Administrator
5,027 Posts
hmmm , considering that the oil temp of an operative / warmed up engine is about 90 Celsius (5 min ride will give you that temp), and water evaporates at 100. I don't think water plays a big role there. it would be very visible in the oil glass as water does not mixes with oil at all.
I mean 200cc - 300 cc of oil is the difference between Low and High marks .
So basically the big question here is :
Do you all loose a bit of oil every , let's say 1,000 km when riding hard / revving high ?
Both are almost certainly contributors, but that is just what experience has taught me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts