Strom Trooper banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you have the time and place while on your travels or sometime after you get home have a look inside your air box. Take out the breather filter and you will likely find that its an oily mess as well as oil inside the air box. This will also be a great time to confirm the condition of the breather filter as they can degrade over time. You likely checked this prior to your trip or the last time you checked your air filter, so I suspect all will be good and therefore no rush to get into it on your travels.
Alright my friend, the time has come and I have checked the airbox to see, and it was exactly what you were talking about!

Oil in the box.

The breather filter doesn't look TERRIBLE, but I want to replace it.

Only problem?

On the schematic for the air box it doesn't show it anywhere.

Can I replace that with something else instead?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yup, the 650 is notorious for sucking a little oil at higher RPM's for extended periods. This may or may not be related to taking a nap as oil will find its way into the airbox and my guess is that bikes that exhibit this tendency have napped. DAMHIK, lol...could be entirely unrelated but once oil finds a route, it tends to follow it more readily.

As for not running them hard, redline on my K9 Wee is 10500 and at 80 indicated she's turning 6k...certainly not enough to lessen longevity. The real reason newer motors last longer is two-fold: cleaner fuels and waayy cleaner oils. Crankcase ventilation systems have virtually eliminated unburned fuel from diluting oils and depositing unburned carbons into the crankcase, not to mention that modern oils are simply better. Look at oil from a typical motor at 3,000 miles (the "traditional" oil change interval) and you'll find it to be clean, honey-colored and without odor. Most manufacturers have bumped the interval to much higher mileages and regular changes of filters and PCV valves helps even more.

Lots of evidence of the 650 motor turning well over 100k miles...not bad for a relatively small-displacement v-twin!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Alright my friend, the time has come and I have checked the airbox to see, and it was exactly what you were talking about!

Oil in the box.

The breather filter doesn't look TERRIBLE, but I want to replace it.

Only problem?

On the schematic for the air box it doesn't show it anywhere.

Can I replace that with something else instead?
Yes, use the google box on this forum and you should find your answer. I think I read that there are some dust filters that are commonly used on lawnmowers that will work fine to replace M/C breather filters.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You'll notice that little filter is quite porous. Be careful what you replace it with. That crankcase needs to breath.
I was worried someone was going to mention that. I ended up putting something that was pretty dense sponge in there. I assume that's not a good move. I'll have to pull the tank again and get some more porous sponge. Might just get the oem replacement for it

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I used the filter in the attached image, is this too dense?

If it is, what would be a good quick replacement, as I do not have time to wait for the oem replacement

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
On my last bike the separator was no longer available. I used green scrub pads. I used the 3m ones as they were stiffer and more porous.
I use those in the kitchen (for intended purpose). I've noticed that they shed green particles during use. Maybe a well used one would be better?

·
Registered
687 Posts

If it is, what would be a good quick replacement, as I do not have time to wait for the oem replacement

Thanks for your help!
IMO that's too dense. Although it could take a long time to see any results from poor crankcase ventilation.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
IMO that's too dense. Although it could take a long time to see any results from poor crankcase ventilation.
What are the results of that? Something engine related?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Modern oils are so much cleaner, I couldn't say. In older engines back when oil wasn't quite as good there would be more sludge build up. Probably a little more back pressure in the crankcase too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have been fighting this oil disapearing on my bike for over one year. Oil was disappearing at a rate of half a quart every tank full. I can Finally confirmed my fix is working and oil has stopped disappearing in the last tankfull.

in a nutshell, get a new suzuki breather and change to thicker oil (15-50).

It started when I laid my bike down in an accident. and it was on its left side for about 10 minutes. oil seeped out of below the tank at the accident then I noticed that oil started disapearing when riding. I had to add half a quart every tankful. I mainly use the bike at high speed commuting the highway, avging 75-80 MPH.

I took the tank and airbox off after the accident after about 3-4 months not riding while I heal my fractured collar bone due to the accident. I discovered the airbox full of oil and the crankcase breather was soaked in oil. I cleaned up the airbox of oil and cleaned the breather sponge of oil by using Royal Purple Degresser as I didn't have a breather on hand and it will take a week for the breather to order and arrive. I thought all is good. But once I started riding, I noticed that my oil was continue to disappear at the same rate of half quart every tankful.

After months of riding and oil is still disappearing, I kept adding oil every tankful, until last week. So I decided to bite the bullet and pay for the OEM Suzuki crankcase breather for about 15.00 shipped.

It's been about 2 tank fulls and the oil does not seem to be disappearing after the installation of the new crankcase breather.

The crankcase breather OEM part number for my k8 wee is 13788-27G10

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
My 15XT has been down at least 5 times, but I have noticed no oil in air box nor any negligible use/loss of oil in over 24k miles. No question that we must ensure the breather filter to be in good working condition, I keep mine lightly saturated with clean engine oil "keeps it from deteriorating". I wouldn't recommend anyone going with a 50 wt unless they live/ride regularly in a very hot climate, a 40 wt oil is pretty damn thick already if you think about it. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts

Thanks for your help!
Lawnmower air filters are perfect and breath very well. Put a teaspoon of engine oil in them. I replace mine with every air filter change.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
I use those in the kitchen (for intended purpose). I've noticed that they shed green particles during use. Maybe a well used one would be better?
I would think they only shed when abraded. Sitting in the air box they should be stable. OEM would be best when available. It is designed to give enough air flow to suck the moisture through yet condense the oil mist.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have to say this is my one disappointment with the bike; using oil. When I was looking for a used motorcycle, I searched google for what is the most reliable motorcycle. The V-Strom was the one that came up quite frequently.

Yet not one single post mentioned it using oil on the highway at 70MPH! Kind of a big deal if you run out of oil the engine dies. I was under the impression my motorcycle NEVER used oil. But I noticed it getting louder and shifting not as smooth.

After about 2500 miles I had used half a quart of oil. I'd like to look into the breather and all that but I'll wait until the cold months to mess with it.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,082 Posts
I have to say this is my one disappointment with the bike; using oil. When I was looking for a used motorcycle, I searched google for what is the most reliable motorcycle. The V-Strom was the one that came up quite frequently.

Yet not one single post mentioned it using oil on the highway at 70MPH! Kind of a big deal if you run out of oil the engine dies. I was under the impression my motorcycle NEVER used oil. But I noticed it getting louder and shifting not as smooth.

After about 2500 miles I had used half a quart of oil. I'd like to look into the breather and all that but I'll wait until the cold months to mess with it.
I don't know of any that used oil on the highway at 70 mph. The ones that used the oil are usually run quite a bit faster and under heavier load ( think loaded down with gear and throttle opening higher).

Any engine can use oil, and 1/2 quart every 2500 miles is well within limits for about any engine. Yes, I get that you don't want it to use oil and personally I very much would want to know why it is using....any at all.

Yes it can the the breather, countershaft seal, any leak at all. But if it is the valve guides or ring seal that is almost never heard of on the DL 650 under 80,000 miles. Commonly over 100,000 miles and they are "oil tight".

·
Registered
204 Posts

Just make checking your oil is one of those routine visual service along with lubing the chain, check the brakes, lights and you should be set.
After a while, you will get use to the 'rhythm' and know how much oil your bikes needs after x amount of miles.
While you are at it at replacing the crankcase breather, you may want to consider replacing the air filter and do it the same time when you have the tank off to access the airbox.

It's not that hard to stand the bike up off the side stand, stand on right side of bike, stoop down and check the oil level in the oil viewing glass.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My 15XT has been down at least 5 times, but I have noticed no oil in air box nor any negligible use/loss of oil in over 24k miles. No question that we must ensure the breather filter to be in good working condition, I keep mine lightly saturated with clean engine oil "keeps it from deteriorating". I wouldn't recommend anyone going with a 50 wt unless they live/ride regularly in a very hot climate, a 40 wt oil is pretty damn thick already if you think about it. :)

Maybe speed had something to do with it??? I was in 4th gear and probably going around 50 MPH when I layed my bike down. Luckily my engine crash bar took the blunt of the fall and the only part damaged was I needed a new bar end screw and scratches on my crash bar.

When you went down 5 times, were they parked and dropped or were you going at pretty good speed?

I'm just trying to figure out why I had oil in my airbox and you didn't. that's all.

Thanks,

21 - 40 of 42 Posts