Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

So I've had my '06 vstrom since last October, and maybe put 3k miles on it before I left for my trip. I didn't notice any burning oil.

I replaced the clutch, and in two weeks I've done 6k miles for my trip.

I noticed once in Kansas that I was down a liter, and figured maybe it was because of the clutch replacement.

I got to San Diego today, and noticed I am probably down another liter.

I don't smell burning oil ever, even when stopped, just seems to be drinking it.

Mostly highway miles doing about 90 with a lot of weight on the bike, maybe this is causing it?

Any ideas?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,085 Posts
Common occurrence! You are turning a LOT of rpm's at that speed. That creates a lot of mist in the crankcase. That gets pulled up into the airbox breather. While some might get burned after going into the intake system, some stays in the airbox. Some might even go out the airbox drain.

I feel confident that this is what is going on.

Just keep an eye on the oil level when running that hard.

It will go back to normal at lower speeds.

·
Super Moderator
12,983 Posts
Have had exactly the same experiences, as many other have, doing the same thing as you. Normal... just top up the oil at the end of the day.

..Tom

·
Registered
639 Posts
I know this question will potentially kick up a bunch of dust but: What oil are you using?

Also is your bike a 650 or 1000?

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you have the time and place while on your travels or sometime after you get home have a look inside your air box. Take out the breather filter and you will likely find that its an oily mess as well as oil inside the air box. This will also be a great time to confirm the condition of the breather filter as they can degrade over time. You likely checked this prior to your trip or the last time you checked your air filter, so I suspect all will be good and therefore no rush to get into it on your travels.

·
5,085 Posts
I know this question will potentially kick up a bunch of dust but: What oil are you using?

We know he owns a DL 650 from previous threads.

There has been many owners with this same problem. I am sure they have run everything from Walmart Super Tech to Redline or Liqui-Moly oils. I know that some changed oils and viscosity, with no measurable change in the habit.

·
Premium Member
4,568 Posts
It's using oil not burning it ...for reasons cited above. Just keep an eye on it.

Burgman 650 did it too on long sustained speed runs ....it had a nifty oil level gauge that would alert you when the level dropped.

·
Super Moderator
12,983 Posts

I was talking about my 2006 DL650 which had over 100,000 miles on it when I went out west but the effect wa noticeable way earlier in it's life. The oil brand doesn't matter as lots of people have noticed the same thing using different brands and viscosity.

My 2015 DL1000 doesn't seem to use any noticeable amounts of oil between changes.

Did you ask the same question on Facebook? I think I gave more details there.

..Tom

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have the time and place while on your travels or sometime after you get home have a look inside your air box. Take out the breather filter and you will likely find that its an oily mess as well as oil inside the air box. This will also be a great time to confirm the condition of the breather filter as they can degrade over time. You likely checked this prior to your trip or the last time you checked your air filter, so I suspect all will be good and therefore no rush to get into it on your travels.
I have not checked this yet, definitely something to look into

·
Registered
687 Posts
I got back from South Dakota last Sunday. Most of my speeds were around 70 (actual). In 2,400 miles my 650 used a pint. I'm not worried about it, just disappointed.

·
5,085 Posts
Speeds of 70 don't seem to have much of an effect. And there are bikes that seem less inclined to do it. I have run mine at 75+ ( gps ) for a few tanks and it never used oil. I did watch for that. But I also ran a 16t front sprocket which lowers rpms 400 or so.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
BMW has a saying for that condition..."They all do that!".
Running those hours at speed and the oil mysteriously disappears.
Just check it at the end of the day or the beginning of the new day.
Oh, carry an extra liter or quart so you can top off.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
90mph loaded? Wow, she's turning some RPMs! Gotta be running close to 7k rpms... ?

The root cause has been covered above. I rarely went faster than 80mph, lots of 70-75mph extended highway runs, and my 650 never burned any noticeable amount of oil.

·
Super Moderator
12,983 Posts
90mph loaded? Wow, she's turning some RPMs! Gotta be running close to 7k rpms... ?

The root cause has been covered above. I rarely went faster than 80mph, lots of 70-75mph extended highway runs, and my 650 never burned any noticeable amount of oil.
I don't think you had it long enough to notice... ;)

..Tom

·
Registered
239 Posts
A couple of comments. First, if the oil is not leaking out of the bike, its going out the exhaust. I'd call that burning the oil.

Second, I question the advisability of running the bike that hard. Its been said more than a few times that the reason cars used to last 100,00 miles and newer cars go about 200K miles is the change by manufacturers from three speed transmissions to 4 and 5 speeds - with overdrive. Reduce piston speed and you reduce wear and tear on the engine and increase its life.

My bike came from the PO with a 17 tooth sprocket, and it would turn about 5K rpms at 75. I changed to a 16t sprocket and the rpms went up about 500. If you go to the stock 15t, without doing the math, my guess would be about 6K revs at 75 mph so you must be running in the neighborhood of 75 to 8000 rpms (simply a rough guesstimate). Of course the bike can do this, but the question is for how long before you sustain permanent damage from wear or part failure.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
You can't just put motor life down to lower RPM's

On older motors if you removed the rocker cover there was a build up of crud, oils would get hot and burn blocking lifters and oil galleries.

New motors run closer to the set temperature as the cooling systems are more efficient and modern oils don't burn and leave crud built up on pistons and rings.

Even just putting modern oils in old motors can extend there life.

·
Super Moderator
12,983 Posts
There are two kinds of "burning oil."

One is when oil is leaking past piston rings and/or valve guides and directly enters the combustion chamber and is burned. A small amount of oil burned this way is normal but large amount consumed this way would be what most people historically would refer to as "burning oil" . For most people this would be regarded as a problem with the engine as it tends to cost big bucks to fix.

Another type or "burning oil" is when oil from the crankcase breather (or similar) is sent back into the intake system. This could be caused by engine problems (too much blow by etc.) But also could be for less significant reasons.

In the case of the DL650 motor it doesn't appear to be caused by blow-by but rather from the design of the engine's crank causing vapours from the crankcase to carry oil laden air into the breather housing then sucking it back into the intake. Yes oil is burned but the causes are relatively benign.

As far as engines revving hard how long do your seriously expect your engine ( the actual engine in your strom that you are currently riding) to be running while you own it?

I can tell you that my 2006 DL650 ran fine when I last rode it. It spent a lot of its life running at higher speeds daily at 80 + mph and had many trips running loaded at 80 to 90 mph in temperatures into 80 to 100f range day after day. I parked it with 202,000 km. It sat for several ears in my hanger. A friend from my work has it and after a bit of fiddling tells me it runs fine. The DL650 really loves running at high revs.

..Tom

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are two kinds of "burning oil."

One is when oil is leaking past piston rings and/or valve guides and directly enters the combustion chamber and is burned. A small amount of oil burned this way is normal but large amount consumed this way would be what most people historically would refer to as "burning oil" . For most people this would be regarded as a problem with the engine as it tends to cost big bucks to fix.

Another type or "burning oil" is when oil from the crankcase breather (or similar) is sent back into the intake system. This could be caused by engine problems (too much blow by etc.) But also could be for less significant reasons.

In the case of the DL650 motor it doesn't appear to be caused by blow-by but rather from the design of the engine's crank causing vapours from the crankcase to carry oil laden air into the breather housing then sucking it back into the intake. Yes oil is burned but the causes are relatively benign.

As far as engines revving hard how long do your seriously expect your engine ( the actual engine in your strom that you are currently riding) to be running while you own it?

I can tell you that my 2006 DL650 ran fine when I last rode it. It spent a lot of its life running at higher speeds daily at 80 + mph and had many trips running loaded at 80 to 90 mph in temperatures into 80 to 100f range day after day. I parked it with 202,000 km. It sat for several ears in my hanger. A friend from my work has it and after a bit of fiddling tells me it runs fine. The DL650 really loves running at high revs.

..Tom
Comforting to hear about the strom not minding 80 to 90 mph loaded. I initially bought it because I heard they are pretty indestructible under "normal" riding conditions. aka not riding it like a street bike

and as for how many miles I hope to run on this bike. It currently has 45k on it. I'd like to make it through the end of my trip down to South Africa, but I couldn't tell you if that's possible or not. I'm just beginning my trip

1 - 20 of 42 Posts