StromTrooper banner

oil and oil filters canada

8K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  V-Tom 
#1 ·
New to me '12 650 V-Strom

My fellow 'Nucks,

Where do you get your oil what kind do you use? I was in Canadian Tire today and there was NO 10W40. Also a lot of the oils have different classifications than what is in the manual and there are no 4 L jugs. As an example I found some that exceeds SP/SN PLUS/SN/SM but no mention of API SF, SG SH or SJ or JASO MA.

Also,

What oil filters do you use? has anyone used this one?

#3 ·
Canadin Tire carries 10w40 oil in at least a few varieties. They have an ATV oil that meets the spec as well as one called Motorcycle oil. The motorcycle oil costs less than the ATV oil. I'd bet they are the exact same. Both 10w40 and JASO. Amazon has the Kimpex ATV oil for $36 cdn a jug delivered if you have Prime. I buy my Suzuki Ecstar oil and filter at the dealer in a kit. I do this to keep the untested warranty in as good a position as possible. I do all my own maintenance so far. My warranty is up next fall on my 2017 (bought in 2018).

#6 ·
thank you for the replies! I was thinking about Shell Rotella 15W-40, comes in big jugs, cheap pretty sure it's JASO MA, will check first. Does anyone use that?

I was also wondering about after market filters that might be less expensive. In any case I guess the suzuki oil filter is 16510-07J00 and the crush washers are 09168-12002. I am going to look into getting separately instead of kit, doesn't look like you can get that way from suzuki. Also air filter - again suzuki only seems to sell with a kit containing oil filter, crush washer, spark plugs for $105 Cdn. will check with dealer when I find one! twenty I'm in Kingston, no suzuki dealer!

thanks!

#7 ·
call a local auto parts store and give them the Suzuki filter number, may have an equivalent.

the squish washer the same, the Vee is just a 14mm, can get anywhere. the wee is smaller, 12mm i think but someone else can confirm.

yes rottella is used, think the T6 5w40 is preferred.

I've bought just the air filter or oil filter from the suzuki dealer. this one looks fairly close to you, may ship to you or looks like less than an hour away.

#8 ·
Welcome from New Mexico, USA!

I don;t know if this helps Canadians or not, but: Many use Rotella 15W40 in their bikes, but I use that in my truck and can find no mention of JASO MA on the jugs. NOT JASO rated oil.

For my first oil change, I used Valvoline Motorcycle 10W40 oil. $7 and change per quart here in the U.S. Can you get a dedicated motorcycle oil at your auto parts store in Canada? They will all almost certainly be JASO MA rated. Forget the SF, SN etc ratings - if it's JASO rated it will meet Suzuki specs.

Also, look for Hi-Flo HF138 filters on Amazon. The OEM filter crosses with that HF138 and: K&N KN138; and Fram PH6018. There are many others that cross ref with the OEM, I don;t have them at hand.

Crush washers on Amazon are $6 to $9 for a 10-pack. I used the old one that came off. No issues so far after 2000 miles.

Reactions: Philbytx
#10 ·
Didn't know that (JASO MA) about Rotella T6 (that's full synth). I do know that on my next oil change I will probably go to a semi-synthetic for a change or two and then a full synthetic later on and will look into T6. The MOTULs and AMSOILs, as good as they may be, are just too rich for my blood. However, WalMart does carry Ecstar Suzuki 10W40 for about $37 per gallon. Pure mineral oil, I think.

Re-read your post again @johnny canada and now see you're looking at air filters too. My 2022 650 uses (OEM cross-ref) Hi-Flo HFA 3611 and K&N SU-1002, and again, there are others that also cross reference. I do not know if there has been a change in air filters between your 2012 model and my 2022, so check that.

#15 ·
The dealership prices are fine. I normally stop by 2 wheel motorsport just north of Guelph and pickup Suzuki filters, oil and crush washers. They also sell the Suzuki oil change kits. Some nice country riding between Brampton where I live and them.

#16 ·
It is good to spend some money at our local dealerships.Especially if they treat you right.
You aren’t going to get advice or bike gossip from Amazon.I wish l was closer to the shop in Ottawa where I bought my 1050. Two& a half hours away. Nearest Suzuki shop is an hour away..New owner.

We will see what this year brings.

#19 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Marmora, agreed. As the sign at my local (non Suzuki) shop says, " keep buying parts on line and pretty soon there won't be anywhere to install them!" I am buying a set of Michelin Anakees from him and getting them installed there as well. bit more expensive than online but.

Northern Pike, that was my thinking as well, buy a big bucket of the Rotella 15W40.

Twenty, yes I found Belleville Sport and Lawn this a.m. Next closest is Ottawa. They're closed today calling tomorrow for OEM washers and and a couple of oil filters, air filter. to get me started and maybe order a HiFlo filter or two when I order my Givi Screen from Fortnine!

Best,

Johnny

#20 ·
Well, I researched and you guys are right - Rotella T6 and T4 are both JASO MA rated. I must have some of the older Rotella T jugs out in my shop because I could not find a JASO MA designation on them. Looked online and WalMart has Rotella T4 15W40 for $17 gallon. That's hard to beat.
(<---- Disregard this Robot/Human nomenclature - that's a good link to WalMart's Rotella T4)

#23 · (Edited)
I have been using rotella T-6 in my TriumphTiger, DL650, 1k, Toyota, Subie, F350 diesel, lawn mower, etc. for decades now.
No oil related issues so far.... 30 +years now...Just sayin'...
17 + years using the same in the entire fleet when I ran the large United Rentals reginal hub shop shop.
15-40 (available in the south us.) or 5-40 in the winter , available in 300 gallon bulk.
THE Fleet oil to use.
Works in Honda trash pumps To 1600 I/R industrial compressors.
Pull oil samples on each piece of equipment every 500 hrs or so.
Good stuff.
Not ONE oil related failure on my watch.
TOL Purolator filters also.
"Nuff said.

• Haha
Reactions: Big Boy
#24 ·
New to me '12 650 V-Strom

My fellow 'Nucks,

Where do you get your oil what kind do you use? I was in Canadian Tire today and there was NO 10W40. Also a lot of the oils have different classifications than what is in the manual and there are no 4 L jugs. As an example I found some that exceeds SP/SN PLUS/SN/SM but no mention of API SF, SG SH or SJ or JASO MA.

Also,

What oil filters do you use? has anyone used this one?

I get my oil at Home Hardware, It‘s Castrol motorcycle oil, non synthetic . It’ also a bit cheaper than crappy tire. I order a case once a year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.