StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just came back from Autobarn and they sell filter for the strom for $11 and oil ( penrite ) for $30. Has any one used the penrite oil?
I think I will give it a go. Have run Motul but its expensive stuff.
Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks for the info...

Can't comment on the oil really, but I know a few guys that use penrite I their drift cars with no dramas.

What brand filter is it? What's the model number is it?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi mikeyoda,
I used to use the motul but was not happy with it (ran it in my BMW k100 for years) than switched to Penrite HPR GAS 10 10w-50 in my wee , it loves it , less engine/clutch noise and sweeter gear changes , my son also runs it in his DR650 , it loves it too same as the wee.
JUST make sure you get the GAS one the other 10w-50 Penrite oil is a car only oil it will stuff (make it slip) your clutch .
Let us know how you get on with the oil filter , i took one back off my wee after the 2nd or 3rd cold start , it sounded like a bucket of bolts at startup :thumbdown: fitted a filter i got from the local bike shop - no rattle at startup:thumbup: , took the supercheap filter back and got a refund .

·
Super Moderator
4,601 Posts
Thanks for the info...

Can't comment on the oil really, but I know a few guys that use penrith I their drift cars with no dramas.
I live in Penrith and use Penrite (in my car).

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I am going to stick with OEM filters,6k between changes and a few extra bucks :confused: I just don't trust the quality control of the cheapo's.

·
Super Moderator
4,601 Posts
I used to use the motul but was not happy with it (ran it in my BMW k100 for years) than switched to Penrite HPR GAS 10 10w-50 in my wee , it loves it , less engine/clutch noise and sweeter gear changes , my son also runs it in his DR650 , it loves it too same as the wee.
JUST make sure you get the GAS one the other 10w-50 Penrite oil is a car only oil it will stuff (make it slip) your clutch .
That's handy to know, I buy it in 20 litre drums for my car.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I am going to stick with OEM filters,6k between changes and a few extra bucks :confused: I just don't trust the quality control of the cheapo's.
Filter changes are every THIRD oil change in the manual ,just remove the filter and drain old oil out of it. IF you clog a filter in 18,000 klm in these bikes you WILL already have a stuffed engine because it takes a LOT of missing metal from gears etc to block a filter .

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm with you Windy, I dont care what bike (or car for that matter) it is, change the filter with the oil. Can't see the logic of putting clean oil through a dirty filter :confused:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Having changed the oil when I got my bike off dad at the 6000km mark I have decided to change it every 3000km as the oil condition was horrible. My bike has 24000klm and always been serviced by Suzuki Dealer. The oil condition might have something to do with QLD summers however???

·
Super Moderator
4,601 Posts
Is that for top ups between oil changes Ron,:green_lol::green_lol:sorry mate you dropped your guard a bit low there.:yesnod:
Don't tell Land Rover or they will do a recall - mine doesn't leak oil! :fineprint:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah, I always found it hard to follow the manufacturers advice with certain things (fluids and service intervals mostly).

Work cars are set by the factory (Hyandai) now optional 5,000km and required 40,000km...35,000km is way to long to wait for a service.

I will be doing a filter change with every oil change. Whenever this debate comes up, it someone always says "it's like taking a shower but keeping the old undies"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts