StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greasy, one by roundabout in this time of heat no rain and traffic.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Marc, that is one heck of an inscrutable post.
Would you care to explain what the dickens you mean?

I am a supporter of roundabouts, and have modified my routes to visit roundabouts
in Golden Colorado and Carmel (pronounced KAR-mel) Indiana, to my edification and
delight, so you have surely piqued my curiosity.

Best wishes,
Keith

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
yeehaw....

Since I'm currently in N Australia opposite direction roundabouts are keeping me amused.... :D
carefully on a KLR with 606s.

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
One of my GPSs shows the way through roundabouts as if I were driving on the RHS, not the LHS, of the road. :confused:

Wanna try the Magic Roundabout in the UK?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
slip sliding about

Marc, that is one heck of an inscrutable post.
Would you care to explain what the dickens you mean?

I am a supporter of roundabouts ... you have surely piqued my curiosity.

Best wishes,
Keith
Point trying to be made was that the roundabouts and intersections in this neighbourhood have become quite greasy, that is slippery, with weeks of hot weather and drought; and the usual traffic scrubbing tires and leaking bodily fluids upon the surface. No I did not fall, but on three occasions yesterday while riding in and around the city (while turning sharply left at intersections or going about the roundabout, also in the official NASCAR direction) the bike and I did that happy little side step as the Michelins mostly did their thing well, as is their wont. I suppose most people would have slowed down or gone home to change shorts after the first indication of low μ. Glad to clear that up, Keith.

Yes, I like roundabouts. Quite enjoy them, actually, is a rowdy sort of way. Ottawa and its sister city Gatineau, formerly Hull, have added quite a few in recent years. They seem to work quite well, but we still don't have the huge ones of Paris or London and maybe elsewhere where I haven't been. I got passed by a deux-chevaux all atilt once on one. I guess he had finally got his speed up and wasn't slowing down for anyone.

Cheers

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
Roundabouts suck. Some Calif RAB's have stop signs to impede the flow even further.
It's a science local traffic engineers don't understand.

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Roundabouts suck. Some Calif RAB's have stop signs to impede the flow even further.
It's a science local traffic engineers don't understand.
I think that in general traffic engineers like roundabouts.. do you mean that your local traffic engineers don't understand traffic circles or that the traffic engineers don't understand why in hell they would put stop signs at traffic circles?

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Point trying to be made was that the roundabouts and intersections in this neighbourhood have become quite greasy, that is slippery, with weeks of hot weather and drought.
Thanks for explaining! I had a feeling you meant something like that (or had drank too much when posting.)

..Tom

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
Seeing that monkey motion round a bout in action from above would be interesting.
Stateside engineers don't seem to think of round a bouts as a traffic flow solution but rather novelty to slow traffic down.
I believe the current term for obstructions of various sorts is TRAFFIC CALMING.
RAB's, bumps in the road, chicanes, whatever it's called, it still sucks.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for explaining! I had a feeling you meant something like that (or had drank too much when posting.)

..Tom
Yes. (yes.)

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Praise for Michael Wallwork

I think the world's expert on roundabouts is Michael Wallwork of Melbourne Australia. He started his career of Traffic Engineering by designing traffic-light-controlled intersections for Melbourne. He was proud of his work, but saddened greatly by the knowledge that the results of his work, as good as he could make them, would be the places where many many Australians would be seriously injured; indeed, a large fraction of the injured would die from those injuries.

When he had the opportunity to switch to designing roundabouts, he leapt at the chance, and now Melbourne has 4400 roundabouts ... that is quite a number.

Whether you like or dislike roundabouts is not as important as the proven fact that, when a roundabout replaces a traffic light, the number of deaths and serious injuries per annum at that intersection is divided by SIX or more. That is ONE coffin instead of SIX, one pair of crutches instead of seven, and so on.

I had the pleasure to converse with Michael Wallwork for twenty minutes during one of his visits to Sarasota, my home town. I would say, from his talent and zeal, that he is committed to improving traffic safety via roundabouts, and his proven record of success absolutely ECLIPSES any other results achieved anywhere.

He has replaced three-lane thoroughfares, studded with traffic lights, with one-lane-each-way streets with roundabouts and lower speed limits than the original expressways, and increased throughput while greatly decreasing injuries and fatalities. San Diego, several capitals in South America, and my home town Sarasota Florida are locations where he is saving lives daily.

If Wallwork approves of YOUR scheme of roundabouts, you have a winner. If he has doubts, then many motorists will pay ... in BLOOD.

Simple azzat? Maybe not, but please pursue the matter further if it interests you. There are lots of ways to scorn roundabouts, but they still save a lot of lives.

Keith

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
I like roundabouts.

I don't like the fact that so many drivers don't know the rules for using them.

As a result, at a local hardware store, I'll avoid the roundabout near their entrance because it is too difficult to enter the roundabout from the side street. I'll go around the block to a set of lights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts