StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started riding dirt bikes when I was 11 years old. Got the first Honda CR125 available in Texas in 1971. Went to street at age 14 with a Honda CB350, then Honda XL500 and Kawasaki KLR600. Got married and went without a bike for a long dry spell, what I call 13 years of begging. I got back into biking at age 40 with a 2000 Honda Valkriey Intersatate ("SWEET" ride, I spent 5 years customizing it and making it my own). 2005 I got an Anniverasary addition Glodwing GL1800. As usuall with a Goldwing the bike is the cheep part, accessories are the big ticket item. My wife loves it. We tour all over the country and pull a Bushtec trailer to take everything we want with us.

Now the V-Strom story starts: I have allways been interested in Adventure bikes. The top of my list were the KTM990 and BMW 1150GS. I went to the International Motorcycle Show every year and found myself in the Suzuki booth sitting on the V-Strom. Time went on and I started surfing EBAY and what did I find..........Heart Stopped...........2008 Vstrom DL1000, 2852 miles, saddel bags, center stand, touring windshield, hand gaurds, SHOW ROOM CONDITION. I placed my bid and won the bike at what I felt was a great price.

Been riding it for 2 weeks. So far have ordered a GPS mount, Handlebar riser/pull back and GIVI Airflow windshield. I see a few more parts I need to make it fit me but so far it is a great addition to my garage and see some new adventures down the road. I am looking forward to reading rider reviews and getting feedback from fellow Vstrom riders.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Started riding dirt bikes when I was 11 years old. Got the first Honda CR125 available in Texas in 1971.
You lucky person I hope that you still have one of those very rare prototypes. the production versions weren't available to us plebs until 1973.
I'd love to see some pictures if you have any.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your story sounds like mine, I kept going back to the Vstrom after looking, and even buying a few other bikes, for the past several years. I finally found and 07 a few weeks back, and the rest is history. Good Luck from another new guy, and welcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old age

K1W1,

Your right, the CR125 was 1973. I had to count back to get the date. I was in 8th grade and my dad let me play hooky from school. We drove from Dallas to Gainsville to pick up the bike. At that time I was riding a stripped down 1971 SL100 and what a difference to get on a prodution moto cross bike (still the stone age compaired to the bikes today). I rode the crap out of that thing. Buy the time I sold it there weren't many parts that hadn't been replaced or welded back together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts