StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this note from shell the other day figured I'd share it.

From Shell-

'We recently ran the JASO MA friction test on Rotella T with Triple
Protection 15W-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) and our soon to be
introduced (within the next 2 months) Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4.
All three oils passed the wet clutch friction test. Rotella T Synthetic
5W-40 (CI-4) has more than 1.2% ash (JASO MA spec limit) so it can not
be classified as JASO MA. However, Rotella T with Triple Protection
15W-40 and our soon to be introduced Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 do
meet JASO MA."

If you have any additional questions please call us at 800-231-6950.
Thank you for your interest in Shell products.

Richard Moore
Staff Engineer
Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.
Westhollow Technology Center, PO Box 4327, Houston, TX 77210, United
States of America'

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Thanks for the update. Nice to have something official about a popular oil.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You got that letter the other day? Well, I guess it is a form letter as it was posted in another forum about 6 months ago... I think it was a FZ6 forum... It just means the new version (which is already out, I believe) of 5w-40 syn is official in that it is MA (good for bikes) compliant....

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Yeah, what does it mean. In layman's terms.
The Cliff's Notes:
You should not use "engine protecting" or "friction reducing" oils in your bike because the friction reducers make them too slick for use in a wet clutch. What Shell is saying is that the three oils referenced in the note passed their test for use in wet clutches. Two of the qualified for JATO MA rating and one did not, but is still safe for wet clutches. So now there are 3 more lower cost oils which are appropriate for use in motorcycles.

JASO Specs:
The only body which is rates oils for use in 4-stroke, wet clutch motorcycles is the Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (JASO). There are two ratings from JASO: MA and MB . MA is for hi friction engines (motorcycles) and MB for low friction engines (cars). MB is never recommended for any wet clutch motorcycle.

Here are a couple of pretty good reads on bike vs. car motor oil:
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/motorcycle_oil_technical_facts.htm
http://www.bikenomads.com/wiki/index.php/Do_not_use_car_oil_in_bikes

W

·
0 Posts
My local Walmart isn't selling the 5W-40 Rotella synth anymore.. :mad: But they still have it at Autozone so that's good.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got this as, what I guess their standard reply

about a month ago I just forgot to post it.

Our wal mart still sells the rotella 5-40 syn. and I am not too worried about the slightly high ash content.

I have seen mobil 1 full syn.at the walmart the other day in a 15-50w and that should be good for warm weather anyway and it is on sale here for $18 for 5 liters.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Well after reading this thread, I was a little skeptical about that letter from Shell. I called the number in the letter and asked for technical service. I was connected with Richard Moore, and he explained to me that because of the newer diesel particulate filters, they formulated the Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40 CJ-4 with a lower ash content of 1.0 which is well within the JASO spec. He also told me that they spent $10,000.00 to do the wet clutch testing to satisfy JASO requirements.

I asked him why it didn't have the JASO spec. on the label. He told me that he presented his findings to the company, but the European marketing people did not want JASO on the label because it would compete with the Shell motorcycle specific oil that they sell in Europe. Even though Shell Rotella T Synthetic is not sold in Europe.

I asked about the high heat of motorcycle engines and he told me that this oil is extremely good at high temperatures. He highly recommended this oil for motorcycles. Well, except for Harleys which he said require a 20w-50.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Wow. Good stuff. What exactly is the downside to ash?

·
0 Posts
Tom, are you stating that the Shell Rotella Synth 5w-40 is what he recommends for motorcycles(except Hardleys) and is OK for wet clutch usage? Just a bit confused is all.

This is the same oil I use in my Subaru...the STi community LOVES this stuff, UOA always comes back nice...and it would be great to use the same stuff in my bike.

Appreciate it.

BTD.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I guess the really short version is that I don't need to run to the garage right this minute and drain it out of my bike. Whew. What a relief.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I have 42,000 miles on the stuff. I think you're fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Low ash oil

Hello,

Diesel trucks made in 2007 and later have a diesel particulate filter installed after the turbo and the ash from the engine oil can foul that filter. The EPA requires that the filter must go 200,000 miles before it must be cleaned at the dealer. The lower ash oil helps meet that requirement.

Steve

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Mr. Moore told me that ash carries anti-wear additives like zinc, and detergents and acid neutralizers. The only downside is that it would possibly clog the newer finer particulate diesel filters.

Tom, are you stating that the Shell Rotella Synth 5w-40 is what he recommends for motorcycles(except Hardleys) and is OK for wet clutch usage? Just a bit confused is all.

This is the same oil I use in my Subaru...the STi community LOVES this stuff, UOA always comes back nice...and it would be great to use the same stuff in my bike.

Appreciate it.

BTD.
Yes Matt, It meets JASO MA specs. Approved for Japanese motorcycles with wet clutches. It just isn't gonna say so on the label because of Shell's euro marketing goons. It's a 40 weight oil at operating temps, and a 5 weight at startup for better flow when cold. And, it's Greywolf approved!:D I've also been using it for many miles. Most of my 37,600 miles have been on this oil. :thumbsup: - Tom

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Thanks Pat and Tom. I've found my new oil!!!

BTD.
You found oil!!?? If I were you I'd load up the truck and move to Beverly.

Hills that is.

Please drop Ellie May off here on your way.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
13,818 Posts
Please drop Ellie May off here on your way.

I guess you didn't see that special about the Beverlyt Hillbillies a few years ago? Ellie May doesn't look quite the same..

..Tom

1 - 20 of 28 Posts