StromTrooper banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #101

This is a shot of one set of intake valves. Can't remember whether it was front or rear cylinder, but the others looked similar. I gather this isn't half-bad for a 50k-mile engine.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Too early to be certain whether the leak is fixed. But, I've now replaced every single bit of rubber in my entire cooling system. Yes, even the radiator cap.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I do think I have another leak. I think my clutch pushrod seal may be allowing a small oil seep.

Why? Because I keep finding a dirty covering of oil and dirt on the area below the front sprocket cover. It's not dripping, more like a light film. But it shouldn't be there, and is making the area extra-dirty.

It's been several months of riding since I cleaned around the front sprocket, so it's probably time to get in there and see what's what.

Fortunately, from what I'm reading it is not that difficult to swap the clutch pushrod seal. The only painful part is obtaining the things, as they're a bit pricey for what they are.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Also worth investigating. I do need to check the clutch fluid level.

I was low on engine oil last weekend, so it's possible I have more than one leak. I think the leak I'm seeing is engine oil because it looks and smells like engine oil. Maybe I can post a photo later.

When I had the air box open for all that work last week, it was very clean. That's in part because I haven't dropped the bike in a long time (which now is guaranteed to happen, probably), and my breather sponge is in good shape. So the oil has to be going somewhere.

But, it could also be the engine's normal oil consumption. Have to check my records.

·
Registered
454 Posts
But no coolant yet? That's good! Could also be your output shaft oil seal that's leaking oil. Both it and the pushrod seal are fairly simple to replace, but yeah...spendy for what they are.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
No coolant yet, no, but not much riding yet - which is why I say it's too soon to tell.

I stuffed fresh paper towels in and around the engine valley. They'll tell the tale if any coolant tries to gain freedom as before.

As for the possible oil leak, here's the area of concern:

The flat area above where it says "MADE IN JAPAN" was pretty dirty before I cleaned it up.

We'll see if it gets dirty, for no apparent reason, over the next several rides.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Once you remove the sprocket cover it should be fairly obvious if it's the outputshaft seal that's leaking!

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Rode to work this morning. Typically, the previous leak would show evidence even on shortish (under 20 minutes) rides like that.

And...(drumroll)...

The paper towels stuffed in the engine valley are pristine. No evidence of any leaks yet.

Stay tuned for further updates!

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Checked clutch fluid. It's all there, every drop I put in last spring. So a clutch fluid leak's out.

Probably down to the output seal shaft or clutch rod seal, then.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Probably pushrod seal, especially if the pushrod is at all corroded. If so, best to replace that as well. Neither is pricey.

You'll know either way when you open it up.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Yep. I've only got 5k miles on the chain and sprockets, so I might not wait til when I swap those after all.

It would be pretty great to have nothing leaking for a while.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
We took a good long ride yesterday, best part of 100 miles (well, that's long for US, it was her first "road trip").

Again, zero evidence of stray coolant. Maybe it really was the O-rings.

I still don't get how that works. Coolant would have to have been getting out and somehow making its way along one or both of the short coolant hoses from the unions, then dripping off the thermostat housing.

At least twice, I watched the dripping happen in the garage, & there was no evidence coolant was coming from anywhere but the thermostat housing.

Go figure.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #119

More riding done - survey says, leak is most likely fixed for good. My sophisticated Pseudoscientific Absorbent Pre-Employed Reusable Telltale Of Worrisome Engine Leaks (P.A.P.E.R. T.O.W.E.L.) system shows no evidence of further coolant escape.

(Yes, one of them does look a little yellowish in this photo - but that's just the weird lighting in my garage. To the eye, the paper is pristine.)

101 - 120 of 120 Posts