StromTrooper banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Replaced the bypass hose & clamps yesterday.

The new clamps are a different design than the old. Improved, I'd say - there is now a latching mechanism that should ensure they maintain pressure over time.

I never saw that pipe leaking, but I'm in desperation mode here. I've now replaced literally every piece of rubber or moving part in the entire cooling system, aside from the cylinder head O-rings. I'm leaving those for "never" because they don't seem to be leaking, and it's a massive pain in the butt to get at them.

I also re-tightened the thermostat housing bolts to book spec, using my small torque wrench. Spec is only 7.0 lb-ft which is basically "hand-tight plus a hair." Which is pretty much how I already had them tightened. That was just for giggles - I don't expect it to have any real effect on the leaking problem, but I've been surprised before.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Replaced the bypass hose & clamps yesterday.

The new clamps are a different design than the old. Improved, I'd say - there is now a latching mechanism that should ensure they maintain pressure over time.

I never saw that pipe leaking, but I'm in desperation mode here. I've now replaced literally every piece of rubber or moving part in the entire cooling system, aside from the cylinder head O-rings. I'm leaving those for "never" because they don't seem to be leaking, and it's a massive pain in the butt to get at them.

I also re-tightened the thermostat housing bolts to book spec, using my small torque wrench. Spec is only 7.0 lb-ft which is basically "hand-tight plus a hair." Which is pretty much how I already had them tightened. That was just for giggles - I don't expect it to have any real effect on the leaking problem, but I've been surprised before.
Do those O-rings, man. Problem solved.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
As I've explained several times, the coolant drips aren't coming from anywhere near even the vague neighborhood of the O-rings. They're coming from the thermostat housing.

That ain't it.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,145 Posts
Be careful swearing where a leak ISN"T coming from....

I have found that out the hard way. Throw some talc powder in there and see if that helps....

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I've directly observed coolant dripping from the thermostat housing, but it's certainly possible other stuff is leaking too. The talcum powder thing is worth a shot, thanks.

I rigged a cut up soda can with a paper towel liner to catch drips from the thermostat housing. If leaks are coming from elsewhere as well, I'll know soon.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Only a short ride last night, but so far survey says, no leakage from the coolant unions/O-rings.

I took a good long look at things, and I think changing those O-rings may not be that bad after all.

Each coolant union is held to the cylinder head by a hex head bolt, and there's enough room to turn or swing a tool. Assuming stuff isn't a corroded-together mess, shouldn't be too bad once I've done that. With the right combination of extensions, universal joints, and adapters, almost anything's possible.

Other than that, it's yet another case where I have to drain coolant first, then later refill & purge air from the system. Super glad I bought that extra bottle of 50/50 premixed coolant.

I'm getting to be an expert at draining and re-filling coolant, at least there's that.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Only a short ride last night, but so far survey says, no leakage from the coolant unions/O-rings.

I took a good long look at things, and I think changing those O-rings may not be that bad after all.

Each coolant union is held to the cylinder head by a hex head bolt, and there's enough room to turn or swing a tool. Assuming stuff isn't a corroded-together mess, shouldn't be too bad once I've done that. With the right combination of extensions, universal joints, and adapters, almost anything's possible.

Other than that, it's yet another case where I have to drain coolant first, then later refill & purge air from the system. Super glad I bought that extra bottle of 50/50 premixed coolant.

I'm getting to be an expert at draining and re-filling coolant, at least there's that.
You'll want complete access to those ports to clean out the disintegrated bits of O-ring and crud. You need to remove the throttle bodies to do this.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I disagree. I'm pretty sure that's what a mirror-on-a-stick tool is for. This fella:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/656709-post8.html

managed to do the O-ring shuffle without half-disassembling the bike. I can do the same, when the time comes.

That being the case, I won't be changing the O-rings anytime soon. As I've been saying since page 1, they're not leaking (yet).

Either that, or ninjas are sneaking in every time I park the bike, cleaning up the leaked coolant before I can see it. Also, replacing the talcum powder I placed to detect any leaks.

So, we're back to the thermostat housing leaking for no obvious reason.

Whatever. I give up. The soda can and paper towel "diaper" I made is doing its job.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Nope, minor leakage still happening. Don't ask me how.

While I've ruled out the usual suspects, I do see one other possible source of leaks.

There's a gasket on the temperature sensor, which plugs into the "inlet" side of the thermostat. Like any gasket, it can and may have dried out/worn out and could be the actual source of drippage. Could be coolant is coming out there, then running down the side of the thermostat casing, so that it merely LOOKS like it's coming from between the housing halves. It's hard to see in there, and I didn't think to look there before.

I suppose the next step is to tie something clean, light-colored and dry around the temp sensor area to verify the source of leaks.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Can someone please explain how the cylinder head union O-rings were supposed to have anything to do with coolant leaking from the thermostat housing? I never understood that.

Stupid thermostat housing is still leaking. Seemingly completely at random. I've been changing the paper towel under it about once a week.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Can someone please explain how the cylinder head union O-rings were supposed to have anything to do with coolant leaking from the thermostat housing? I never understood that.

Stupid thermostat housing is still leaking. Seemingly completely at random. I've been changing the paper towel under it about once a week.
The hoses on either end of the thermostat join the cylinder heads via ports ("unions"). The ports seal to the heads by way of an O-Ring. The O-Rings turn to mush, resulting in a leak. The leak travels and fools you into thinking you have a coolant leak elsewhere. For me, it was a cylinder head gasket that turned into an O-Ring. For you, it looks like a thermostat. It seems to be a universal failure point eventually. Even if this is not where your leak is coming from, you'd best do them anyhow. You will also have the opportunity for a good look around while you're in there. Prepare to remove the throttle bodies to get at them. It's not a big deal. Really. Set aside half a day and a six-pack.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Is there any safe & easy way to clean the throttle bodies while they're off? I mean the outsides, the insides are pristine. But the outsides have quite a lot of dirt on them. Cleaning with Q-tips etc. is going to get super tedious. Rather spray them down with the appropriate solvent (if any is OK) and rinse with water (presumably, this won't hurt anything?).

Would also be a good time to lubricate any joints that need it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Is there any safe & easy way to clean the throttle bodies while they're off?
I seriously was googling just last night how to best clean my parts before putting them back on the bike! Including my throttle bodies.

I've read really good things about Dawn dishwashing detergent in really hot water, with a nylon brush. I'm wondering if that would hurt anything if it got "inside" the throttle bodies?

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I am concerned about the throttle position sensor. Also the motors that move the secondary throttle plates.

The innards of those are normally sealed off from any possiblity of water entry.

I suppose I'll use plastic tape to temporarily waterproof any entry points. Then carefully use an old toothbrush, warm water, and dish soap to get the major grime off in a wash basin.

I don't expect the throttle bodies to be clean enough to eat off, but they have years of road grime on them. That can't be good for them.

·
Registered
412 Posts
...they have years of road grime on them. That can't be good for them.
And yet...you have 50k+ miles on yours; 63k+ on mine, and they still work, so...it's probably ok that they're dirty! :)

But I'm still gonna clean mine. :)

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Well, I only put about 28k of that 50k on the bike. It was disgustingly clean and under-used when I got it (someone else purchased it new 2007, only 22k miles by late 2016 when I bought it).

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I made a little progress toward getting the TB's off. Loosened the two screws that hold the boots on the intake pipes.

I need to disconnect a few things, but am absolutely stuck on getting the primary and secondary throttle position sensors unplugged.

I can't see any obvious way to get them free.

Do you press in a tab somewhere or something?

Access angle is very awkward, which doesn't help.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I just looked at mine; looks like the secondary TPS (the one on top) comes free by pressing the tab and pulling, and, oddly, the TPS (bottom) needs a small flat screwdriver in the top of the connector, up against the throttle body side, and then pry it gently away from the throttle body.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts