StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not for tools, purpose is for more lighter objects (bike cover, heated vest, gloves, hats, cool vest, maps, etc). I made these from 4" x 4" Plastic "fence post" purchased at Lowes. They also sell a 5" x 5" post. In retrospect, I should have just purchased a wider Pelican Topbox......oh well. These have not been tested.....yet. I will need all the storage space I can produce, come June (big trip)........without looking like the Beverly Hillbillies. Caps are also sold at Lowes for these posts. They may not appeal to everyone, but at least it gives you some other options for placing a square tool tube on your pannier racks down below....instead of round. Do the math: a 4"x4" square tube gives MANY MORE cubic inches of storage over a 4" round tube.....it will suprise you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Me like, maybe some well placed rubber gasketing glued in place might buy you a better seal for more waterproofing if you need it. I struggled for options like this to go behind the left side GIVI rack, settled for the generic XL tool tube taking the $10.82 aliexpress easy route. Yours seems to have much more room, great idea and well executed. I'm going to look into doing the same or similar. Fence post-gotta love it!

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Nice idea, my 650 had Give side bags, the '14 factory bags are considerably smaller, one of these for maps, gloves, neckerchiefs, gators, etc would take some clutter out of the top box or a side bag.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I like 'em, Mark! And the pyramid end caps look good. Vinyl fencepost was my first thought when I made mine, but I couldn't find a size that would fit both my air compressor and would fit in the space between my pannier rack and the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts