StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the '13 Wee for almost a year now (maybe it's time to name it?). I ride daily, rain or shine, from the 20s to the 90s here in GA and yesterday was my first time spending any real time in the dirt. Sure there was some on the honeymoon last June but that was 2-up and geared-up.

Yesterday, in the Cohutta Wilderness of N. Georgia I discovered what I'd been missing... DIRT!

After riding 80 miles from ATL I hit the forest service roads. I probably covered 50 miles of dirt, 10 of which were easy-moderate OHV trails.

Now, I have no crash bars, no skid plate, and I'm running a Shinko 705 front and Anakee 3 rear combo. I'm a total noob but the grip on the groomed forest service roads was really good. I probably kept it to 20-30mph for the first 1/3 of the trip until the OHV trails where I had to slow down. After three wipe outs (the Anakees turn into racing slicks when they hit mud) I needed to adjust the clutch lever assembly and discovered the one tool I needed (8mil crescent) was the ONE tool I "borrowed" for another project (won't do that again.) I waived down a group dads and their teen sons (dads were on KLRs and the teens were on 250-400cc dualsports) for the 2 minute repair and to get my hand guard back on, then I watched them TEAR OFF down the trail... So I start thinking to myself "hmmm... ? I wonder if my rubber can do more?"

I aired down about 10psi then... took off like a ROCKET. I used to race mountain bikes and while the Wee is WAY bigger than anything I've raced, the physics are similar. My body position became more correct for dirt, the wheel wiggles started feeling familiar and even total slip-outs started to be managed in stride. I realized that I was MADE for this! I ended up averaging... well let's just say I might have been close to highway speeds here an there.

I played with how the controls felt, braking in different situations, popping the back end loose, feeling the ABS work as I worked it... I realized that my road riding hasn't been early as natural feeling as this dirt (28 years of mountain biking, remember). What a joy!

Really, I can't imagine wanting a different bike... maybe wanting additional bikes. I can see taking a DZ400 for more trail, or an R1200GS for 20,000 miles in a go, or a KLR when the apocalypse hits and I need to mount a machine gun and navigate the post-nuclear landscape... But on the daily, for a weekend, or a month, or a few on moderate trails, road and back roads, day in and day out... I can't imagine preferring something else.

I'm looking forward to getting the proper protection for the underside, a seat upgrade and some soft luggage. Life sure is good!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Good on you nice report .

I prefer to take the fuse out ( right side under seat ) & disable the ABS , stops all that juddering of the rear brake especially when going downhill .

Three things have worked for me taking the bike off road when I lay it down - bark buster handguards , crash bars & a folding gear lever

Awesome enjoy

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've done some MTB racing too, and the skills do translate somewhat. Don't like mud under the Vstrom though, that's just too much weight for me to deal with when things get slippy. But sometimes we don't get a choice....

"Sure there was some on the honeymoon last June but that was 2-up and geared-up. " Your bride sounds like a keeper!

·
Registered
179 Posts
No skid plate? You might want to arrange some kind of protection for the oil filter. I've even had a dent put in it on the highway before I got a plate.

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Administrator
16,806 Posts
Mount up some Shinko 804/805 tires and enjoy roads like that much easier. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eastern Vstrom Rally
That's awesome! I'll look into it... as long as I'm not in finals or taking a board exam, I'd love to be there.

Your bride sounds like a keeper!
She is for sure! 2-up ATL to Denver and back, mostly by back roads ??? It wasn't always easy, but we're much stronger for it

I've even had a dent put in it on the highway before I got a plate.
Yea it's first on the list of add-ons

Shinko 804/805 :)
That's exactly what the KLR guys said. I can't wait!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$h!tty day here, this post made me smile(y)
Hey gristle, funny you say that. I'm having a similar day today, went back to read this for a smile. I hope things are looking up for you (y)

·
Registered
21 Posts
ADVChiro, glad to see you're enjoying your Strom as much as I do! I currently have a few bikes in addition to my 16' VStrom (Guzzi Griso, Thruxton R, KLX300R and an old Yamaha IT175 2 stroke). I've owned all kinds of bikes in th past (Tigers, Ninjas, Scramblers, FZ1s, Versys, DR's, other Guzzis, etc.) and there is something special about the Wee. I'm a serial trader but somehow I've managed to keep it longer than any of my other bikes. I now live in Central OR, and have spooned on Twinduro TKC 80's which are excellent I must say, and really having fun on this bike. It's my go-to for just about everything. It's easy to ride, goes anywhere, has as much horsepower as I need and is just enjoyable for any and every kind of riding. (Now I did just blow a fork seal running around on a washboard fire trail, but it's time for upgraded springs and oil anyhow :LOL:).

Over the past few years of ownership, I've considered "sexy" European bikes like KTMs, Tigers and the Multistrada. Each time I think I can trade my Strom in, I go for a ride and am reminded how excellent and versatile this bike is. How in the world could I justify an $18k - $20k bike when this one does just about everything so well?!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts