StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend, ~50 degrees with good amounts of sun. Saw a happy dude on a bright yellow Goldwing ramble on past my driveway. Watching the rest of the snow piles along my driveway drop in height quickly each day. Mostly matted down grass now except for the remaining snow piles.

I spent a good chunk of the weekend in the garage tending to the awakening of one DL650 VStrom.

Lowering links- check.
Lower front end- check.
Install 16t sprocket- check.
Chain maintenance- check.
Air in tires- check.
General once-over of bike- check.
Install battery- check.
Hit starter button and VROOM! on the first tap of the button, just like it had never spent 4-months under cover.

Now we in the south half of MN get to watch as Momma Nature dumps 2-6" or more of wet, sloppy, heavy snow on us starting tomorrow. This will be okay, because it will be sunny and 50 again by mid-week and all that rapid melt will carry away the winter salt film, but if the road crews drop fresh salt on this snowfall, I... I... I just can't say I'll be able to take responsibility for my actions. (Pheeeeeew, deep breath. In a few weeks I'll be mowing the lawn.)

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
No snow here in Ohio this week but we have been getting a lot of rain. At least you don't have to shovel it. Slid out for a quikie on Scarlett yesterday and rode down to some of the low areas that saw a lot of flooding. Parts of this State Park were under water last week and may be underwater again soon as rain is in the forecast again for 8 of the next 10 days.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I managed to get out twice yesterday -TWICE! - in between doing lots of work around the house. Went for a quick morning ride, then dropped the bike off for inspection. Picked it up in the afternoon and decided to detour on the way home on a few back roads I hadn't been on. Two of them turned into 'seasonal' roads marked 'NO WINTER MAINTENANCE.' So of course I had to ride them ... lots of loose gravel and ruts, but the DL handled 'em just fine.

And then, after the last seasonal road, I kinda got lost. Not 'where the heck am I' lost, but 'hmmm ... wonder where this road will end if I keep riding' lost. I ended up back at the house an hour later than I wanted to with about 50 more miles than I'd intended. Oh, darn. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nice!

The weather in the Deep South that is. (Nice). Just riding all I can in the last month before the temp and humidity top out in the 90's.
Say Scarlet, thats a great looking bike you got there, what color is that anyway?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Another 4" of snow over this weekend:mad:. But that is ok warm weather is on its way suppose to be 58 by next Saturday.:p

·
Registered
797 Posts
Another 4" of snow over this weekend:mad:. But that is ok warm weather is on its way suppose to be 58 by next Saturday.:p
Haven't you learned NOT to trust the weather forecasts around here? ;)

It snowed all weekend at my house. I could only dream about riding today. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Stevet, I rode up to Bemidji on Friday evening and back Sunday. Put about 450 miles on. The gravel roads up there are still frozen! Was a fun ride, but the cold let me know I was still very much alive, down to 30 when I got there and 38 when I left.

·
Registered
168 Posts
"Now we in the south half of MN get to watch as Momma Nature dumps 2-6" or more of wet, sloppy, heavy snow on us starting tomorrow. This will be okay, because it will be sunny and 50 again by mid-week and all that rapid melt will carry away the winter salt film, but if the road crews drop fresh salt on this snowfall, I... I... I just can't say I'll be able to take responsibility for my actions. (Pheeeeeew, deep breath. In a few weeks I'll be mowing the lawn.)"

Didn't know MN had a Southern half. I thought it just had 2 Northern halves.
;0)

Stan Henley
Palmetto, GA

·
Banned
593 Posts
NE Ohio finally got the snow and salt off the roads. Rode to work this morning; 32 miles in the rain and 47degrees. It was very nice, but I always feel guilty leaving her out in the rain during the day.
Just put on new rear tire, chain and sprockets yesterday. On the highway the rear end broke loose at 75mph- just a loss of traction with no wiggle, but I was still very surprised. It was a tar strip. Must be the new rear tire isn't completely scuffed in.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stevet, I rode up to Bemidji on Friday evening and back Sunday. Put about 450 miles on. The gravel roads up there are still frozen! Was a fun ride, but the cold let me know I was still very much alive, down to 30 when I got there and 38 when I left.
Sweet! Maybe when my 'Strom is up there in years and miles I'll use it for 12-month duty, but it still has the new car smell right now and the thought of salt dust in all those nooks and crannies makes me shiver.

What was your route up and back?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in the southern half. Its snowing heavily right now. 6-10" expected today and another 2" tonight. Oh well. I got to ride all weekend and this crap will be gone in a few days. Thats the nice thing about March/April snowfalls.

I'm supposed to pick up my new DR650 tonight at Cities Edge in Shakopee. SteveT, just didn't get over the hump on buying a Guzzi. I will get one some day, maybe a used Stelvio when they become available. Just can't deal with the "issues" that come with most European bikes; for the money they cost they should be bulletproof and they are not. My local dealer just got in a slug of new KTM's and was pushing me to buy a 990 Adventurer. Wonderful bike but the cost of ownership will easily outweigh the benefits - I don't really need a 990 Adventurer to ride corn and beans country.

It will be good to have a DR again. That way the Strom can stay fitted out for the road trips.
Hey rj, I don't blame your thinking on the Guzzi at all. I know you've spent lots of time at WildGuzzi, so you know the talk and experiences owners (rookies and veterans) and dealers are having with that company right now. Just another pissing post for another huge corporation (Piaggio). I mean, when Ned's down in Iowa pulls the pin on that brand, you know something isn't right. He had probably the most loyal following in the upper midwest. And dealers here in the Twin Cities area? Forget it. Judson is your only bet around here as far as I'm concerned. My opinion is still out on Leo's South carrying the Guzzi line. The shop in Mora, forget it. I'm done with him.

I know what Guzzi owners are talking about with the whole "soul" thing, and to an extent I agree. I agree with you, though, for the price they should be bulletproof. Well, they are, but there are so few dealers and wrenches that know how to actually set them up bulletproof, because the factory sure doesn't ship them built like they should be. But with that brand comes a certain responsibility as an owner that the typical Japanese bike owner just doesn't have to deal with. Like someone told me just before I bought my Guzzi- "A Honda (or other Japanese brand) is like a faithful servant, always there when you need him. A Moto Guzzi is like a good drinking buddy. Which would you prefer to spend your time with?" If an old disk brake Eldorado ever crosses my path for a low price, well, maybe I'll become involved again. Put-put-put-put-put-put-put...

Enjoy that new DR!!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Sweet! Maybe when my 'Strom is up there in years and miles I'll use it for 12-month duty, but it still has the new car smell right now and the thought of salt dust in all those nooks and crannies makes me shiver.

Stevet,

The route was nothing special, I was heading up there to help on the farm. Due to the accident on 494 on Friday I went up 169 to 55 then west to 494, then to CoRd 9 and off cause 494 was slow. County 9 to 55, 55 to Maple Lake, north to 94, 94 to 24, 24 to 10, 10 to 64 in Motley to its end at 200 then county roads and township roads to the home farm.

County Road 1 north of Randal is more fun, but it was dark and I was just commuting.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Fickle in the mid atlantic!

Left Friday from Raleigh, NC and rode to Maryland. Beatiful 80 degrees the whole way! Left Sunday to ride home, low 40's and rain the whole way! I about froze by the time I got home. Something about that wet cold that goes right through me!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stevet,

The route was nothing special, I was heading up there to help on the farm. Due to the accident on 494 on Friday I went up 169 to 55 then west to 494, then to CoRd 9 and off cause 494 was slow. County 9 to 55, 55 to Maple Lake, north to 94, 94 to 24, 24 to 10, 10 to 64 in Motley to its end at 200 then county roads and township roads to the home farm.

County Road 1 north of Randal is more fun, but it was dark and I was just commuting.
Yeah, that was an ugly accident Friday afternoon.

Bemidji would be one to ride to all off-the-beaten-path, to "see Minnesota".

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yes, there are better off of the beaten path routes.

·
Registered
774 Posts

How bad would you consider the salt on Minnesota roads right now? I went home on my lunch yesterday and couldn't resist the temptation to ride back to work. Now this morning I rode in again. I do notice a hint of white dust on the rear swing arm. I figure a good washing in the next day or so will fix that. Are you guys staying off the roads until a good rain? I'm used to riding my old bike... I don't want to hurt the the Vstrom.

Any feedback from my fellow Minnesota 'Stromers?

·
Registered
800 Posts
The salt on the roads is very heavy. You will even see some piles of it near intersections. They now use a tackifier in the salt to make it stick to the roads better. A year ago one of the counties used molases as the tackifier, it made a brown crappy saline sludge on the roads, and was very difficult to clean off.

Once you get over an hour north of the metro most counties and towns are still using sand, or sand salt. That is much easier to clean off.

I need to wash my bike to get it off, will likely do it this weekend. My bike gets lots of washing in the spring then non all summer for the most part.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How bad would you consider the salt on Minnesota roads right now? I went home on my lunch yesterday and couldn't resist the temptation to ride back to work. Now this morning I rode in again. I do notice a hint of white dust on the rear swing arm. I figure a good washing in the next day or so will fix that. Are you guys staying off the roads until a good rain? I'm used to riding my old bike... I don't want to hurt the the Vstrom.

Any feedback from my fellow Minnesota 'Stromers?
After Monday's snow, they dumped a fresh batch of salt all over the northwest metro area, city streets to the interstates. Like JayR said, white haze all over and little piles of salt at intersections. I've got a personal rule about not taking the bike out until after a healthy rain, such as an all-day steady soaker or a good ol' midwest gully washer. I want that salt gone. I just checked a TV weather forecast, and long term they are saying possible heavy rains for the middle of next week. That may do it for me.

My paranoia comes from the thought of getting salt into all the points on the bike that aren't accessible for cleaning. And I'm not known to keep my vehicles sparkling clean. I think my Strom got a bath once last season. Yeah, I cheat myself from a few weeks of riding, but I don't want to rot things out. See, when they asked me if I want the undercoating and rust preventer package when I bought my bike, I declined.

Just kidding on that undercoating.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thanks guys. I may have to hitch up the patience a notch and let Mother Nature do her thing. Argh, I just want to ride.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys. I may have to hitch up the patience a notch and let Mother Nature do her thing. Argh, I just want to ride.
We feel your pain, Brother!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts