StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not trying to circumvent the rules but I have bought several things out of the marketplace but I still can't post and ask questions about goods there.

Please don't be wroth with me, I mostly use moto forums as a resource for information about my bike and parts to buy, my wife keeps me way to busy to do much chatting.

So in keeping with the spirit of your don't try to circumvent the post rules...

I recently clipped a wall with my Adventure pannier. I then dropped the bike and cried a little because its only a couple months old. Luckily the box will mount/unmount but the mounts are a little bent. Anyone ever have this issue and then try to pound out the bends? I'm afraid i will pound straight through the plastic. Suggestions welcome, replies I can then reply to are even more welcome. :thumbup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah, guess I should subscribe to my post

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
I am not trying to circumvent the rules but I have bought several things out of the marketplace but I still can't post and ask questions about goods there.

Please don't be wroth with me, I mostly use moto forums as a resource for information about my bike and parts to buy, my wife keeps me way to busy to do much chatting.

So in keeping with the spirit of your don't try to circumvent the post rules...

I recently clipped a wall with my Adventure pannier. I then dropped the bike and cried a little because its only a couple months old. Luckily the box will mount/unmount but the mounts are a little bent. Anyone ever have this issue and then try to pound out the bends? I'm afraid i will pound straight through the plastic. Suggestions welcome, replies I can then reply to are even more welcome. :thumbup:
Doc, you must have 20 posts to be able to "reply" in the marketplace. You are almost there, have patience.

Depending on how bad the bends are and where they are located they should be able to be fixed to near new appearance. Might pay you to remove the mount so you can pound on the bent tubing properly. Put a piece of wood under it when pounding. There are different ways to get it done, large pliars, hammers, etc. For touch up look for the Rustoleum spray bedliner in a spray can at auto parts stores. It looks good and is a near match for the factory finish.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
oh yeah, guess I should subscribe to my post
"Subscribing" to your post might not net the results you are after. It is considered....bad manners to up your post count with frivolous posts....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doc, you must have 20 posts to be able to "reply" in the marketplace. You are almost there, have patience.

Depending on how bad the bends are and where they are located they should be able to be fixed to near new appearance. Might pay you to remove the mount so you can pound on the bent tubing properly. Put a piece of wood under it when pounding. There are different ways to get it done, large pliars, hammers, etc. For touch up look for the Rustoleum spray bedliner in a spray can at auto parts stores. It looks good and is a near match for the factory finish.
Its actually not the tubing mounts that got bent. Its the aluminum on the panniers itself, which seems crazy to me as that metal is way thicker than whats attached to the tubes. Almost wish the tubes had given way first. It looks like the mounts are, bleh blanking on the word, but permanently attached so I would have to drill them out. Not sure if thats worth it verses just leaving it attached and maybe sliding a metal piece underneath and pounding away.

"Subscribing" to your post might not net the results you are after. It is considered....bad manners to up your post count with frivolous posts....
Is there another way I could have added instant email notifications with out the added post? Yes, want to get the post count up. But, no, not just spamming.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
not knowing what type of plastic the panniers are made of...

maybe try warming them up a bit with a hair dryer then apply pressure to see if you can pop the dent out

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you hit the wall going the other way maybe the bike will balance itself out. No sweat!
Hmm, I just need to find reverse on the bike.

In retrospect, that sounds pretty dumb. Lemme esplain. I have to scoot around a gate when I leave the parking garage at work and pass a wall that juts out a bit. Not an` issue till you have an extra foot sticking off the side. Plus I was in a rush as I was leaving work to go have a phone interview on my lunch.

But I assure you: I felt extremely stupid.

Teevee: I think they are made of PVC or ABS, not positive though. Anyway its the metal that's bent.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Look at it as building character one scratch/dent at a time.:yesnod:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
true that, here are the pics:

hopefully that works. I can still get the box on and off and the metal just makes it kinda "sticky". I was thinking I might just grind down the nub and fill that bend in the plastic with some plastic putty and call it good.
I am open to the power of better suggestions though :thumbup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sigh....

I cant post pics or URL's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts