StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most of the magazine and online adventure bike reviews or comparisons that include the V2 point out that, compared to many of the other bikes, ground clearance and suspension travel on the V2 is less. Love my (faster) white '14 bike, but have only used it on road until now. I do have a reasonable amount of off-road experience.

Who regularly takes their V2 off-road? Given appropriate tyres and bashplate and crash bars, in the real world how much of a disadvantage is the V2 at compared to the bikes with more ground clearance and suspension travel?

Not talking about gnarly single track here, but rather forest trails and unpaved roads of low to medium difficulty. Am I overthinking this? Will my suitably prepped V2 take it in its stride, or do I need to think the unthinkable and start saving for an Africa Twin or similar?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I had very little off-road experience when i entered the v-strom world a few years ago. With my first strom (650), I started venturing onto dirt/gravel roads that were in fine condition. These were normal roads that you could take any passenger car down. Then I upgraded to the vee2, and I hooked up with another Strommer who basically grew up on dirt bikes. We regularly take our Stroms where they have no business being. The only limiting factor is ground clearance. We've had to unsaddle a few times to lift the bikes over some obstacles - only a few though. Of, course it is necessary to fit with crash bars, barkbusters and a proper skid plate. As I keep saying, my Strom has been dropped more times than soap in the shower. No damage other than scratches on the crash bars and handlebar ends. Well, I did mangle my brake shifter once when it hit a boulder going down some rocky single track.
But to your question of "forest trails and unpaved roads of low to medium difficulty", absolutely no problem for the bike. I've been toying with the idea of trading in for an Africa Twin - but it would be only with the intention of spending more time in the more difficult terrain i.e. rocky jeep trails, single track, mud, sand. For any road that you could reasonably take a Camry down, I would say Vee2 over AT. Jeep trails and worse, advantage goes to the Honda.

Edit: forgot to add, sometimes it's necessary to turn off TC, like when climbing in loose terrain, other times TC can be beneficial. Also, sometimes we turn off ABS.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
I was on dirt often last year and the bike did fine. Got hung up on a log once, fell over on some huge boulders once, slammed down on my HT plate a dozen times on large rocks with no issues.

I have added a stabilizer now so anxious to try it out in dirt again, but do not want to wreck the bike just before my big trip, so that will have to wait until my return, but I will be doing a few thousand km's on dirt/gravel/mud on my way to Inuvik, so that should test out this stabilizer for me.

No issues with V2 offroad for me except that clearance thing.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
It's a great dirt road bike, not a great single track bike. I have done nasty stuff on a DL, I don't recommend it, but it's possible.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
It's a great dirt road bike, not a great single track bike. I have done nasty stuff on a DL, I don't recommend it, but it's possible.
+1 to this, I've offroaded every Strom i've owned (two 1000's and my current 650). The achilles heel is the ground clearance, nothing you can do about that...it really inhibits you in ruts or over ledges/rocks. But, if not for that the Strom is about as capable as the rest of the bikes in its class.

Mild trails and fire roads are nothing for the Strom....gobbles that up with ease.

Reactions: Big B

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
Looking forward to finally getting mine off road.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Anyone used the 1" lift for the rear??? I think it was HT that has them??? Wondering if the handling changes?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
It does. The point I'd make is it's a bike so clearance isn't quite the issue it is with something with 4 wheels. I've ridden through tracks where the 4WD's were towing one another out. It'll go most places, it's just a bit slower than it would be on a bike with more ground clearance. It's also faster in some places than the more highly rated bikes, it's a hell of a lot more stable on dirt roads where clearance isn't an issue than the KTM's for example.

·
Registered
615 Posts
ABS off ,TC on 1 and the Vee is a lot of fun on easy to moderate fire trails :grin2:

·
Registered
525 Posts
just got back from the bba ..where i got into a 2.5 hero section by mistake ..my skidplate looks like it went 12 rounds with rocky
the ground clearance is not enough for anything serious and the suspension sucks on rocks as well...had a very experienced off road rider took my bike and he said "your bike scared me going up this hill" pretty steep hill made of rocks and some mud

1 - 12 of 12 Posts