StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been watching a fair number of classic car rebuild shows, and most of them include some poorly scripted purchase negotiations. All the time, I hear the buyer offering "$X,000 cash."

Is offering cash really still a thing these days? What's the advantage?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
In real estate, cash offers are a favorite because there need not be a bank approval or appraisal, with possible corrections that the appraiser may require. Note: Not suggest. Require. Like a roof, whether an inspector thinks it needs one or not. Avoiding appraisals is a nice way to go.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Is offering cash really still a thing these days? What's the advantage?
Yes it is "still a thing". I always carry cash and it makes a huge difference to a lot of transactions that I do. It is even better for me nowadays because very few people actually carry cash with them.:wink2:

There are many advantages to the vendor, some of which you will just have to work out.:grin2:

Coops.

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
Funny, when I got my Wee, I offered a few hundred to hold the bike and the guys said, just write a check, no sweat.
Then the bank called to be sure i had written the check fo sho!
Lotta times, green backs is a good incentive. In god we trust, all others pay cash!

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Well, if I'm the seller, there's a big advantage. When I sold my Harley, I told the buyer to bring cash, mainly because I don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to get my bike back when I find out that the buyer stiffed me with a bounced check. I also don't want to deal with stopped Paypal payments, or phony certified checks. If I was in the business of buying and selling things then I'd view non-cash payments as a necessary thing, but when it's something I just do once in a while, "cash-only" is the only way I go. There's a reason that "cash on the barrelhead" is an expression.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
There is a movement afoot to become a cash-free society. Theoretically, just about everything could be done electronically. This means everything would have an electronic record of buyer, seller, amount, when, where.
And a lot of our remaining privacy would be gone. There would be very little Big Brother would not know about our daily, personal lives. A lot of people are wary of this prospect. Count me in with them.

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
I do most of my transactions electronically and carry little cash. Just seems easier...until the power goes out.
Then a hidden wad of $20's will be real handy. Bartering may balk at $100's.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
There will always be black markets - even if for barter only.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Advantages of cash for vehicle transactions:
- No bounced / forged checks
- No trip to the bank to deposit MO or bank checks
- No % cut going to a bank or CC vendor
- A little privacy on both ends
- Instant ability to spend proceeds on something else

1 - 10 of 10 Posts