StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the time is fast approaching, my oldest & I are off to Montreal this Saturday. The goal of the trip is to walk around Montreal, I think we will hit Quebec City as well. I've heard some horror stories lately regarding Montreal and motorcycles, though I don't think MY Strom will be in the "Most wanted [to steal]" category.

Any recommended places to stay (or stay clear of)?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
So the time is fast approaching, my oldest & I are off to Montreal this Saturday. The goal of the trip is to walk around Montreal, I think we will hit Quebec City as well. I've heard some horror stories lately regarding Montreal and motorcycles, though I don't think MY Strom will be in the "Most wanted [to steal]" category.

Our "wakes" may pass each other. I am headed over to Lake Champlain for a gathering with my family. I'll be leaving here on Friday and returning on Sunday.

Sounds like a really neat time with your son. I bumped into my oldest daughter this evening and asked, (Okay, almost begged), her to spend an evening or 1/2 a day riding with me. Time passes much too quickly......

Enjoy!!!

B.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Yes

Absolutely.....:thumbup:

Stay clear of Montreal!!!:thumbdown:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I've stayed here: http://www.hotel-saint-malo.com/
a few times. Relatively inexpensive, pretty near the heart of downtown, walking distance to loads of places, a real "ye olde-timey type of place", but parking's free.
Chris in Boston
(I so do like your avatar. I smile everytime I see it. I say to myself, "Now, that's how one of these bikes is supposed to be ridden." Before you know it, you'll get rid of all of the plastic and buy a welding system........)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Our "wakes" may pass each other. I am headed over to Lake Champlain for a gathering with my family. I'll be leaving here on Friday and returning on Sunday.
I'll be on the lookout, there is no mistaking your bike Barry!

Sounds like a really neat time with your son.
My two oldest are my girls. Don't be confused should you see my maroon bike, 2-up, with a pink passenger ;-)

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
My two oldest are my girls. Don't be confused should you see my maroon bike, 2-up, with a pink passenger ;-)
My apologies to your daughter!!! I went back and re-read your post and I am scratching my head as to how I inferred "son" from your text.

Pink? Well, I guess neither of us is going to miss the other!!!

(I have two daughters as well.).

It all sounds like a bunch of fun!

B.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Just be sure and tell them you are Americans.

It's OK for dumb Americans not to speak French, but otherwise they assume you are Anglo-Canadian and that doesn't go well....

And because of the NHL's expansion, they now have a strange nostalgia for Original Six teams and fans.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You can see the usual tourist traps. Old Montreal, the mountain, china town. Saturday night is the fireworks at La Ronde, they close off the Jacques-Cartier bridge around 8pm. It's a great vantage point to watch them.
Lots of great places to eat, night-life is awesome, I don't think your daughter will appreciate the other thing Montreal is famous for: strip clubs.

"Can you spare some change" is how people say "hello" in Montreal.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
If it were me.............I would take her to Québec City. Lots to do and easier to get around; not as BIG.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just be sure and tell them you are Americans.

It's OK for dumb Americans not to speak French, but otherwise they assume you are Anglo-Canadian and that doesn't go well....
With a last name of 'Sansoucie' I shock a lot of French-Speaking people when they find out I don't speak any French at all.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can see the usual tourist traps. Old Montreal, the mountain, china town. Saturday night is the fireworks at La Ronde, they close off the Jacques-Cartier bridge around 8pm. It's a great vantage point to watch them.
This is a great idea (the fireworks).

I'm thinking about us leaving Friday evening instead of Saturday AM. We would do a little Motorcycle Camping at a State, National, or Provincial Park if the weather holds out.

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
(I so do like your avatar. I smile everytime I see it. I say to myself, "Now, that's how one of these bikes is supposed to be ridden." Before you know it, you'll get rid of all of the plastic and buy a welding system........)
Thanks Barry. I do own a welder, but enjoy the looks of the bike too much to have a hack at it.
I'll be leaving for Chisasibi/ Radisson on the 8th August, so if anyone is on my way, give me a shout. (I apologize for hijacking)
chris in boston

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Thanks Barry. I do own a welder, but enjoy the looks of the bike too much to have a hack at it.
I'll be leaving for Chisasibi/ Radisson on the 8th August, so if anyone is on my way, give me a shout. (I apologize for hijacking)
chris in boston
You know, if you left on Friday, August 6th, you would get two extra days of riding in. Just sayin'.............

·
Registered
333 Posts
As it is, I have to work until 7pm on that fri sat and sun, so will be leaving under cover of darkness Sunday night. :thumbdown:
I hope to reach Laval by about midnight, and bunk down for the night for an early rise on monday morning.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, that was a blast.

Still trying to get situated.

We did leave Friday evening. We camped the first two evenings. I should have photos and a story line to go along in a bit.

We saw a number of V-Stroms on this trip, I thought I saw Janice's bike on AUT-15 North Sunday Morning, a yellow V with something other than 'V-Strom' on it.

I am researching new rear shock options. I think I may have destroyed the stock shock.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I am researching new rear shock options. I think I may have destroyed the stock shock.
In this instance, I do believe it would be okay to say, "We destroyed the rear shock." But, it sounds like it was done in good fun and well worth it. I'm looking forward to the stories and photos.

B.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts