StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three days into the ride to visit my grandchildren in Anchorage. Left Wednesday June 15th on my 2005 DL650. So far the bike is fine the weather is epochally bad. First two night camping I cancelled because of serious rain near 100 Mile House BC and Heart Lake campground. Today’s ride from Mackenzie, home of the world’s largest tree crusher to Prophet River was amazingly bad rain for all be the last 45 minutes. Spent 10ths today including stops for gas and a stretch or snack every 120-150 miles or so. Gas mileage is a little worse than riding in my home area of the PNW but I’m cruising at about 5k rpm which my first motorcycle gps, Zumo 396, says is 62-64 mph. New chain is great, set it at 30mm side stand at home after running it for about 150 miles. No slack change in 1034 miles. Lube it nightly when I’m done riding. No oil added, yea, that’s normal, but I normally cruise a little slower in the PNW, 5k rpm is “high speed” driving for me. I’m getting 48-50 mpg. Carrying 98 lbs plus me in gear at about 220. New rain gear has been good. Rev’it Cyclone 3 H2O and Olympia rain pants.
Hopefully the rain will abate, the locals for two days have said they ain’t seen it like this and an added benefit is that they also say it’s colder than normal.
Tires are wearing faster than expected and getting a feathered edge. Hopefully they’ll be a round trip, I’ll be disappointed if they don’t go 5500-6000 miles. No gopro, no camera other than this phone and my son’s inreach so the family can see where the old guy is. Hope Liard Hot Springs campgrounds tomorrow. An interesting note, when I drive up in 2017 motorcycles we’re the second highest number on the road, these 3 days I’ve only seen 4 other bikes northbound. Lots southbound but that seems early for going south unless it’s Alaskans visiting what’s left of Yellowstone after the floods.
More later probably.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Liard is always a welcomed respite. Wonderful place to linger a bit and leave rejuvinated. Terrible place to buy fuel. Highest price I've ever paid! But at 50 MPG who cares?! Hope it dries up for you and stays that way! Lots of great scenery left, and be careful on those frost heaves !

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Here in the Puget Sound Antpile the rain has been epic and little has been reported for improvement. Cold as well. I wish I could send you a bit of a break. You are a hardy individual to be trekking in these conditions. Find joy in accomplishment and a safe return. TM

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Have a safe trip... and convince your kids to move someplace warmer :)

• Haha
Reactions: TinMan88

·
Premium Member
6,242 Posts
Say thanks to La Nina for your rain. Glad to hear about the Revit gear - above my pay grade and not touring anymore but Itchy Boots supports it and wears it and I was impressed by the factory tour. Some very nice features.
If you haven't already try and pick up
Sky Mountain Ecoregion World Natural landscape

Should be available along the way and very worthwhile info.
Not sure of your route back but hitting Valdez and doing the Lulubelle boat ride is very worth while plus the ride down is wonderful.

Also Hyder/Steward off the Cassiar is very worthwhile short detour and the meals are good at the hotel in Steward.
There is a glacier to see and at the right time of year bears feeding on salmon.
It's an easy turn to miss.

The Kenai Peninsula south of Anchorage is very nice as well and some interesting places to visit. We took a boat cruise but preferred the Lulubelle out of Valdez ....high light of a 5 week visit......but of course it all depends on the weather. :rolleyes:

Enjoy.

Anchorage is not very cold these days and endless reasons to visit them.
Alaska is warming faster than any U.S. state. Alaska's Changing Environment notes that, since 2014, there have been 5 to 30 times more record-high temperatures set than record lows. On July 4, 2019, all-time temperature records were set in Kenai, Palmer, King Salmon, and Anchorage International Airport.
Alaska sets record high December temperature of 19.4C - The ...
https://www.theguardian.com › us-news › dec › alaska-...

28 Dec 2021 — At the island community of Kodiak, the air temperature at a tidal gauge hit 19.4C (67F) degrees on Sunday, the highest December reading ever recorded in Alaska
In December !!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Three days into the ride to visit my grandchildren in Anchorage. Left Wednesday June 15th on my 2005 DL650. So far the bike is fine the weather is epochally bad. First two night camping I cancelled because of serious rain near 100 Mile House BC and Heart Lake campground. Today’s ride from Mackenzie, home of the world’s largest tree crusher to Prophet River was amazingly bad rain for all be the last 45 minutes. Spent 10ths today including stops for gas and a stretch or snack every 120-150 miles or so. Gas mileage is a little worse than riding in my home area of the PNW but I’m cruising at about 5k rpm which my first motorcycle gps, Zumo 396, says is 62-64 mph. New chain is great, set it at 30mm side stand at home after running it for about 150 miles. No slack change in 1034 miles. Lube it nightly when I’m done riding. No oil added, yea, that’s normal, but I normally cruise a little slower in the PNW, 5k rpm is “high speed” driving for me. I’m getting 48-50 mpg. Carrying 98 lbs plus me in gear at about 220. New rain gear has been good. Rev’it Cyclone 3 H2O and Olympia rain pants.
Hopefully the rain will abate, the locals for two days have said they ain’t seen it like this and an added benefit is that they also say it’s colder than normal.
Tires are wearing faster than expected and getting a feathered edge. Hopefully they’ll be a round trip, I’ll be disappointed if they don’t go 5500-6000 miles. No gopro, no camera other than this phone and my son’s inreach so the family can see where the old guy is. Hope Liard Hot Springs campgrounds tomorrow. An interesting note, when I drive up in 2017 motorcycles we’re the second highest number on the road, these 3 days I’ve only seen 4 other bikes northbound. Lots southbound but that seems early for going south unless it’s Alaskans visiting what’s left of Yellowstone after the floods.
More later probably.

M

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Moving
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

Tire Plant Wheel Outdoor bench Vehicle

Tire Cloud Sky Wheel Plant

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

Plant Natural landscape Carnivore Groundcover Grass

Water Sky Cloud Plant Mountain

Moving along now. Camped at Liard Hot Springs and took a soak. Bike running well. Attend my first oil, 3 oz at 1400 miles. Tires ok. Rear has worn about 1.5mm to 7mm and front is about 6 mm but has 3400 vs the rear having 1400. Average mpg today was 5.1L per 100km or about 46 mpg. Worse than planned but cruising at 5000 not my normal 4500. Saw first bears 30 miles south of Ft Nelson then two more just after. Lots of bison and goats too.
Today was long from Liard springs to Whitehorse YK. I think about 420 miles. Long for me, maybe not for many. 10:30 hrs. Gas is roughly the same price in Whitehorse as I paid down near Prince George. But in some of the remote parts I have paid 2.70$cdn per liter rather than the 2.15-19 at most places. I stop for gas when I get to 130-160 miles normally makes for a nice break and leg stretch. Small snacks at gas stops. Saw first bears before Ft Nelson and now every few hours. Lots of bison yesterday before Liard Springs. And goats. And one squirrel 🐿. Southbound bikes outnumber northbound by at least 5-1. BMW most by number split boxer and parallel twin. The rest are a mix. Met one man yesterday about my age who rode his Wee Storm 7 years ago from NC to Key west then to Alaska Dead Horse I believe. 12,000 miles in 16 days. Said it’s a great bike. After talking he Then got in the pickup and took off for Alaska with a trailer this time.
More later if this works.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Thx for sharing...that's a cute black dog in the picture ;) ...next 7days looks dry & decent, keep the shinny side up (y)

Slope Rectangle Line Font Parallel

Reactions: STCorndog

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today was shorter at about 270 miles Whitehorse to Beaver Creek. I was going to camp at Snag Junction but the back issues I’m having made me cnx that so I booked into a roadside motel here the 1202 motel and Fas Gas gas station. Popular station for bikes both directions. A steady stream now both north and southbound. I saw a gaggle of 6-7 KTM 1290 s gassing up at the automated remote gas stop at Burwash Landing. All speaking French all with Saskatchewan plates, oh and one Africa Twin in the group. A couple carrying spare tires, on the bike not the rider 😎. Leaving Whitehorse this morning it was chilly I doubled up my wool base layer shirt (light weight 150 smartwool) and put on the rain suit and my heavier riding gloves that have thinsulate. Weather looked threatening until about noon but seemed to be moving slower than I was at a scorching 95-100km/hr. Stopped in Haines Junction for gas and breakfast and two cups of Java then off towards Beaver Creek. The road north from lunch was definitely in worse condition lots more potholes, one I hit and my inner copilot said PAY ATTENTION dude less looking for bears and scenery. Lots of stretches of sign posted “loose gravel” “extreme caution” parts on this run. One that wasn’t signposted and I found it just after passing a pickup and 5th wheel. I did some wiggle waggle and just eased back on power and gently coaxed away from the side of real loose gravel. At the next gas stop that pickup pulled in as I was putting the tank bag on and he asked how the roads were so far? I said ok except for an unmarked patch of real loose gravel about 6 miles back, he said yaaaa, you passed us, quite a show we got. So tomorrow is the border crossing and I’m going to a place called the Red Eagle Lodge in Christochina AK and got a cabin to keep from aggravating it more in my tent. Two guys on BMWs heading for Wisconsin after going to Deadhorse and the Top of the World Highway warned me the road ahead and into Alaska for a bit is the worse stretch for potholes and frost heaves. So yea for that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
F111>WeeStrom,
Enjoying your RR. Hope you're enjoying the trip. Red Eagle Lodge--it replaced the old Chistochina Lodge, where back in the '60s I worked for a guide, we used the grass strip there for staging supplies. The guide's lodge was on Lake Schlea on the flanks of Mt Drum.

In 2016 I rode home to AK and enjoyed the roads there all over again. Hope you have enough time to see your grandkids and ride every road in mainland AK before you head home.

Keep on having a good trip!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today was shorter, Beaver Creek YK to Red Eagle Lodge Christochina AK. The first 80 miles to Tok, the roads were bad, terrible. Especially the first 60 on the US side. Lots of potholes, and broken patches and whoopty doo dips and ramps. A lot of recent repair work must have been done by someone with no experience in alpine Arctic road maintenance. Fresh repairs where the asphalt was black in comparison to surrounding road surface often had serious potholes or depressions and spalling, it took over 3 hours for the trip to Tok and most of that time was probably 30-35mph.
At least it was raining again, at one point hard enough that the big raindrops were splashing on the road and causing a solid 6” of like rain splash fog as you looked down the road. One .RV towing a jeep had the jeep shred a front tire, and three of the RVs pulled over to give the guy working some safety margins by alerting traffic. This blocked one lane because there was no shoulder to pull off to.
Arriving in Tok I pulled into a mechanic shop and used a drill to stop drill a crack on my windshield that had started from the mount area. This should stop the crack progressing. Highway 1 the Tok Cutoff to Glennallen was a mix of 37 miles ok, 50-55 mph then the next 30 miles was 40-45 because of regular frost heaves or something. It was like they’d paved over an old concrete road, and at 50-75 yard intervals a good sharp jolt, so I kept it slower to save the west and tear on everything. Then 20 miles of nice new pavement. Hoping for better weather and roads as I go to Anchorage tomorrow.
A few pictures from today, hopefully. I’m using the Red Eagle Lodge’s WiFi as there is not ATT cell service in this area.
Tire Wheel Sky Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
183 Posts
On the home stretch! Just past Sheep Mountain after you go around Lions Head is Glacier View. On the left is Mica Guide Service Glacier guides. There's a yurt and a converted old truck into a coffee spot and a deck witha terrific view. Stop in for a coffee and tell Don Hi from me. If it's clear weather have him fix you up with a helicopter ride. The glacier the Chugach and the Talkeetnas are spectacular. I'm sure you're itching to arrive Anchorage so at least stop for coffee!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On the home stretch! Just past Sheep Mountain after you go around Lions Head is Glacier View. On the left is Mica Guide Service Glacier guides. There's a yurt and a converted old truck into a coffee spot and a deck witha terrific view. Stop in for a coffee and tell Don Hi from me. If it's clear weather have him fix you up with a helicopter ride. The glacier the Chugach and the Talkeetnas are spectacular. I'm sure you're itching to arrive Anchorage so at least stop for coffee!
Don days hi
Smile Wood Hat Standing Shorts

1 - 20 of 32 Posts