StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am looking for a new bike to replace the 2 I have. One is a fantastic 2 up tourer (BMW K1200LT) and the other is, well a KLR 650. It does great off road for what I use it for.
I want just one bike and I know that no bike is perfect at everything, but looking for a good compromise for my use.
I mostly ride Forest Service roads, will be doing the Washington BDR this summer and general 2 track type stuff.
I also need to be able to handle riding with my grown daughters, they both like to go on road trips.
I thought the Wee would do what I want, but a buddy has one and he loves it, but talked me out of the Wee for my needs. We ride together and he knows my needs so I trust him.
The R1200GS was suggested, but I want to stay under $10K if possible and to do that it would have to be a much older one. I see new 2014 DL1000s for under $10K and I like the look of the bike.
I know it will need protection and better tires, but will it meet my needs? I don't plan to ride it around the world, but want to explore every FS road in the NW and be able to haul my wife and daughters.

·
Super Moderator
16,860 Posts
Don't you already have pretty much identical threads started about this very thing?

Edit: Yup you have several "similar" threads posted with various questions all over the forum in different sections, I would really prefer your stick with what is already open. Also.......in each respective section, I bet the answers or opinions you seek are already there. ;) Very obvious you are potentially interested in these bikes, read the forum sections a bit more and gather all the intel you need to make a decision.

·
Registered
508 Posts
So, I am looking for a new bike to replace the 2 I have. One is a fantastic 2 up tourer (BMW K1200LT) and the other is, well a KLR 650. It does great off road for what I use it for.
I want just one bike and I know that no bike is perfect at everything, but looking for a good compromise for my use.
I mostly ride Forest Service roads, will be doing the Washington BDR this summer and general 2 track type stuff.
I also need to be able to handle riding with my grown daughters, they both like to go on road trips.
I thought the Wee would do what I want, but a buddy has one and he loves it, but talked me out of the Wee for my needs. We ride together and he knows my needs so I trust him.
The R1200GS was suggested, but I want to stay under $10K if possible and to do that it would have to be a much older one. I see new 2014 DL1000s for under $10K and I like the look of the bike.
I know it will need protection and better tires, but will it meet my needs? I don't plan to ride it around the world, but want to explore every FS road in the NW and be able to haul my wife and daughters.
i would just build a switch to disable the abs ,but i guess i'm just not as good as these two
http://www.2ar.eu/

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
it will do exactly as you ask of it. It will be a step back offroad from the KLR but not a very big one. Fire roads are no problem though, you will have a blast on them with the traction control allowing you to fish tail all over the place (on setting 1) wih relative safety.

two up touring the bike is FANTASTIC. My wife and Ienjoyed a couple of road trips last year on mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. And yes I had asked before, a while back and it was more about the 650 XT and the older 650s. While here in California I tried to test ride one, well I guess you just can't do that here. So I called back home (WA) and am arranging for a test drive and financing on a leftover 2014 DL1000.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A dealer in CA. Malcolm Smith Motorsports has one for $7299.00 and two dealers back near Tacoma/Seattle have them for $8990.00
I have done a lot of looking and only thing that comes close on price is used.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just sold my Connie road bike, Newish 14 650 wee coming home next week. After some simple gravel road testing I plan to put the very rusty KLR up for sale. Some say the baby head part of WABDR is too much for the wee, but guess I will see.

I really wanted a v2 but another 3k was too much for me this time around.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I tour on my V2 ever year and love it. Now that all the recalls are done I am set for another 11k km. Already over 1.5k and it has only been insured a month. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just picked up a 2014 DL1000A what recalls have you had done to your bike?
There is a 3 part wiring harness recall for the '14 model. Depending on the condition of the wiring / connectors in question, determines how much of the recall is completed on your bike. There is a huge thread about it around here somewhere.

Also, if you just purchased from a dealer, it should already be completed before they place the bike on the floor. At least they were supposed to.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is a 3 part wiring harness recall for the '14 model. Depending on the condition of the wiring / connectors in question, determines how much of the recall is completed on your bike. There is a huge thread about it around here somewhere.

Also, if you just purchased from a dealer, it should already be completed before they place the bike on the floor. At least they were supposed to.
On my '14 V2 which I just picked up < 1 mo ago, the recall sticker is under the seat area and right near the battery. About 2x2 inches with a date of recall service performed.

I'd look around there first...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts