StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Wee off road. Dropped my Wee off road. Put my Wee back on the road...

Decided I was going to go to a local private trail site. Unfortunately it rained fairly heavy the night before. Didn't stop me, i'm too stupid...

The owner tried to warn me, "With the rain last night it will be pretty slick!"
I didn't listen.

The ride across the property to the trail opening tried to warn me. "Hey dummy they weren't lying. It's slippery out here!"
I didn't listen.

The 2' deep by 30' long mud puddle tried to warn me, "Hey little fella you don't need to be mucking about!"
I didn't listen.

9 steps at 13" height going down from the plateau tried to stop me. "Hey you don't fit here!"
OK, well you are just being rude.

The 200 yards of slushy silt and clay tried to change my mind. "Taste my power buddy!"
With a face full of mud and an inability to go more than 8mph I started to get the hint. Slipping onto the side

Now to go back the way I came, where did I come from? I can't get back up that hill! I guess this way...

All in all I proved to myself the Wee is capable of traversing some pretty messy off road. What it doesn't do is zip around rough wet, slippery ATV/Dirtbike trails with grace and speed! (At least with me driving)

Other than handlebar risers, my bike is stock. For hardcore off road I need
New tires
Skid plate
A lighter bike.

I think dry trails would be fun, but this slick, sloppy, crap I was trying to run in was no fun. 45 minutes of hell just getting in and back out.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my Wee and I will go back when the trails dry out. IF my adventures take me to this kind of trail I won't back down, but you won't find me planning on riding muddy trails any time soon.
( I may be stupeed enough to try again once I get more aggressive tires...)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No doubt they don't mix well. My original plan did not include mud. The day before the ground was dry. At home it sprinkled, but at the trails it apparently rained pretty hard. My schedule was to hit the trails so I did.

I knew it wasn't going to be much fun, but I wanted to see how far I could push it.
In all honesty that was the toughest 45 minutes of riding I've ever done.

·
Registered
686 Posts
It's not a dirt bike... It's a street bike that can handle the odd dirt /gravel road. Where are your engine guards? Engine guards and side panier racks offer a lot of protection.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
In my DL, iF it's dry, I'll tackle it, wet.........I run away with my tail between my legs.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would love to find someplace to learn to ride my bike off road. I get really nervous on anything unpaved. The way I see it is the only way to expand my comfort zone is to go out of it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I would love to find someplace to learn to ride my bike off road. I get really nervous on anything unpaved. The way I see it is the only way to expand my comfort zone is to go out of it.
Have you heard of Raw Hyde Adventures? Their 2 day classes might be just what you're looking for. http://www.rawhyde-offroad.com (I'm in no way affiliated with them)

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
How many times did you go down? It doesn't like like the bike is worse for wear.

Are those the stock hand guards?

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
The Wee is squirmy off pavement on street tires and rock solid on 50/50 like Mitas 07s or K60 Scouts.

On the K60s I would not slow much transitioning to gravel but on my P3s I learned I had to slow down.

As far as "off road" ...the Wee is simply not an offroad bike compared even to the marginal KLR60s.

Your first step is decide what you want to do.
Gravel and dirt back roads. ( off pavement )...put a set of 50/50s on and gradually build up your confidence.

Off/road single track....once you've gotten comfortable wih off pavement. Figure out which other bike you'd want for actual offroad use. Weight and clearance, small front tire all dictate against the Wee and it can get expensive to drop. If you are serious, snag a DR400 or even a KLR650 and get dirty - that will give you more confidence on the Wee off pavement but you will realize the limitations of the Wee and chose your roads accordingly.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All good and welcomed information. I know this is no dirt bike. I didn't attack the trails like it was. I'm not without some real dirtbike experience, though that was many years ago.
I know the bike is heavy. I know this is primarily a street bike. I know my bike is missing a ton of dirt farkles and basic necessities. Still if one so choose you could have taken a Harley on the trails. Just the manner in wich you proceed through them would have to be carefully considered.

If not for fun, why ride a bike?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How many times did you go down? It doesn't like like the bike is worse for wear.

Are those the stock hand guards?
I only went down once, on the back 40, where the runoff silt collected on top of the packed clay. That stuff is like ice. It was very slow speed and more of just me setting the bike down when it started to slip.
No damage but my inspection. Did reveal a nut is missing on the left handguard.

Knowing I was in way over my head I didn't push the bike or my skills. I simply went slow and manhandled the bike through everything at very slow speed. Three days later and I'm sill feeling it in my back and shoulders.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I carry a small air compressor and am running Mitas eo7 dakar tires,when going off road I will drop air to 18-20 front 24-30 rear ,makes a big difference ,then when back on black top air back up.

Reactions: SpudBob

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have Mitas 07 and even with that the mud can be challenge. On the plus side, it makes for softer landings. V STROM CAN!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Tires, guard, LIGHTER BIKE, training, LIGHTER OFF ROAD BIKE ...

Glad you didn't injure yourself by ending up underneath the bike when you dumped it.

I think of the Strom as a car-based SUV like a Toyota Highlander or Ford Explorer. You can go off road, and with a lot of skill you can do surprising things with a Strom, but it isn't a "Jeep."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tires, guard, LIGHTER BIKE, training, LIGHTER OFF ROAD BIKE ...

Glad you didn't injure yourself by ending up underneath the bike when you dumped it.

I think of the Strom as a car-based SUV like a Toyota Highlander or Ford Explorer. You can go off road, and with a lot of skill you can do surprising things with a Strom, but it isn't a "Jeep."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I too am glad I was not hurt. Even better that there was no damage to the bike. I believe it better to practice and take chance, than to find one's self forced to take chance.

I don't credit my skill as much as I credit both positive results to my fear of pain and suffering. While my spirit runs ramped with childhood stupidity, my age and wisdom is able to purposefully sedate it enough for self preservation.

My first passion is another childhood dream. Flying a hangglider. 12 years 1000's of flights, many hundreds of hours, and I have not damaged a glider nor myself. A feat that I relish above all other past time accomplishments.

Risk and reward carefully weighed and measured. I am a fool, but I am not reckless without thought.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts