StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relatively new to the V-Strom and to the adventure bike realm in general. Really enjoying my DL1000, though. And it feels great to be back in the saddle after having to park my Intruder a few years ago.

A buddy and I are setting the groundwork for a run at the Pan-American Highway in a couple years. One of the things I'd like to do soon is an off-road training course. I've seen the Black Swan Moto and Rawhyde webpages, but was wondering if any of ya'll knew of a similar course in the Kansas City area...or at least something here in the Midwest.

Thanks!
--Ryan

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I'm relatively new to the V-Strom and to the adventure bike realm in general. Really enjoying my DL1000, though. And it feels great to be back in the saddle after having to park my Intruder a few years ago.

A buddy and I are setting the groundwork for a run at the Pan-American Highway in a couple years. One of the things I'd like to do soon is an off-road training course. I've seen the Black Swan Moto and Rawhyde webpages, but was wondering if any of ya'll knew of a similar course in the Kansas City area...or at least something here in the Midwest.

Thanks!
--Ryan

If your an off road newbie you would be better off learning on a small (250ish) dirt bike.

The Strom is a big top heavy bike and not a good choice to acquire dirt skills.

·
Adventure Traveler
285 Posts

Thanks!
--Ryan
I've taken MSF's "DirtBike School" in Warrensburg, MO at the Missouri Safety Center on the campus of University of Central Missouri. I think I did it in 2012 or 2013.

It was a pretty basic but good class, just me & the instructor, a full 8 hours of standing up on the pegs doing off road drills. I used their bike, a Yamaha 250 dual sport (I don't remember the model). After the class I bought myself a 2013 Honda CRF250L to continue practicing.

Like you, I wanted to prep myself for riding my vstrom off road. It did help with my subsequent travels all over North America, on & off road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

I ended up finding and attending the BC Moto Adventures Off Road Foundations L1 course down in Blue Mound, KS. Awesome class. Great instruction and exercises. Totally worth it if you get the chance (sounds like it's more-or-less an annual thing).

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, some training similar to what I see at RawHyde, (which can't be 40 miles from my house), as the DL1K is a bit bigger and different than my two other bikes, KTM 520 and Kawasaki 200, both at least 200+ lbs lighter than either the 1K or the 650.

I looked at the RawHyde site, they certainly have a bias toward the northern European bikes, I did not see anything that would prevent me from taking the 1K for a class....other than the price. :)

I looked at the MSF that I took my class, did not see anything regarding off road or dirt bike training.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts