StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the pressures does everyone use off road, gravel, sand, mud. I have gen 1 VS 1000's and run Shinko E-705's and am trying the Mitas E-07+ Dakars for Morocco in the spring.
I ride from solo to two-up with full travel kit for months at a time. I have been working with different pressures with different terrain for a while. Africa will be two-up with full kit in all kinds of stuff.
Thanks for your responses.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,524 Posts
Some people do reduce their pressures, but I do not. If you are riding at speed where there are rocks, pot holes and sharp edges, a damaged rim will spoil your day real quick.
I'd rather cope with a more nervous bike, knowing that should I come across something unusual that my rims are protected. I use Mitas E-07's.

·
Super Moderator
4,524 Posts
I have a DL650, and if you are talking "2 up with full kit" it makes even much more sense to keep those pressures up. Even without luggage on day trips I still keep those pressures up.

·
Registered
388 Posts
What the pressures does everyone use off road, gravel, sand, mud. I have gen 1 VS 1000's and run Shinko E-705's and am trying the Mitas E-07+ Dakars for Morocco in the spring.
I ride from solo to two-up with full travel kit for months at a time. I have been working with different pressures with different terrain for a while. Africa will be two-up with full kit in all kinds of stuff. Thanks for your responses.
I took my Vee with its Shinko 705s through an off-pavement class a few years ago offered at the Romney meet, that use to be a happening thing with this forum. The instruction was to go down to 50% of pressure. As a novice to off-pavement, I questioned the amount but was told 50%. We rode through fields and on fire roads (mud, dirt, gravel) in the forests, using miles of pavement to get to various ones. It was an all day class. Great confidence builder. Don't know that I'd run 50% for months on end with 2-up, but I'm just letting you know what we were instructed for pressure.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I love dirt and seek it out at every opportunity, I ride a fully loaded V2 two up & I never drop my pressures.

When the going gets steep and tough I have dropping my pressures as a back up plan that I have not yet used.

Anakee 3's are my go to tire on my Stroms.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,192 Posts
I agree with running same pressure you run on pavement. If you get into a situation where the only way you can get across, through, over, or up is to reduce pressure.....you are probably on the wrong bike anyway! The only place I have seen a real advantage in lowering air pressure to where the tire visibly looks squatted is in loose sand and on hill climbs. Otherwise the sloppy feel of the tire hurts as much as it helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts