StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Honda XR-650 much lighter bike and the bike stands more vertical when parked on its side stand. so MOST of the time parking it off road is NOT a problem.. Now the DL1000 is a Much heavier machine and has a much greater lean angle, meaning it sinks into the ground and falls over, I had this happen once all ready when I first got the bike.. Anyway I was wondering if you can park it off road with the Center stand Down, and have the Side stand down as well like an Out rigger? I don’t like having to scrounge up a Log or rock or something to prop the kick stand on when I park it on anything other then Concrete. It even sinks into asphalt down here in the sunny south!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah

but i was just wondering if the center stand makes a big enough foot print that it keeps the bike from sinking.. The little kick stand thing is a great Idea but in practice is a Pita to use, unless you are so flexible as to be able to touch the ground while sitting on your bike, other then that its the old tilt the bike and slide the kick stand mat thing around with your feet routine. Which BTW is more of a pain when parking off road.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the SW-Motec centerstand on my bike. I recently had to park in a loose gravel parking lot. There was no way the sidestand would have kept my bike vertical. I put down the centerstand and it was solid. Well worth the purchase :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Most of the time the center stand will get you by. But I always carry a plate to put under the side stand just in case.

·
Registered
130 Posts
iron pony

Hey JRE, Have you been to Iron Pony in Columbus? I just went there Friday, and man that place is great. Dirt bike, atv, street, they got everything. Well worth the trip! Doug.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The electrical box cover is all you need. I have one myself. And it was 50 cents not $200.

For tire / chain maintenance you can buy a nice rear stand for $89 from Lockhart Phillips and it will work with any bike - you can keep it when you sell this one.

S

·
0 Posts
Our local dealer has these cool little blue plastic Suzuki plates, which form about a 3" square. He uses them to place all of their bikes side stands on when on the show floor. Their show floor is tile. Well, I asked for one when I bought my V-Strom, and I keep it under the seat, if needed.

I thought I would only need this plate for off road parking, but.........

Just the other day, I parked in a fairly new asphalt parking lot in a church. Came out about an hour later, and the side stand had sunked into the asphalt. I dont know how much longer it would have taken to sink till the bike fell to the ground. Luckily, I guess, the service didnt last too much longer!

Later......................

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts