StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am constantly surprised by the road holding/handling of stock tyres on road but have concerns about them on loose gravelly roads. So question- how do the knobbies go on road and do they suffer or hamper bikes handling? Suggestions for tyres?

·
Registered
220 Posts
knobbies

I have a lot of experience in 21/18 inch wheels with knobbies, but limited with 19/17.

The consensus is that the more aggressive the pattern the less distance they last.

I will be trying some Mitas E07 on my DL650 next. They are a good 50/50 road trail tyre and seem to last well.

Kenda big block tyres are more aggressive but may not last as well

Many riders like the Dunlop 606 in the rear ( 17 inch available)

I tried the MitasE09 on my DRZ. The rear was acceptable, the front hopeless in sand but OK otherwise.

I hope this helps. Oh I read somewhere that the 140/17 is a better idea compared to a 150/17 for dirt use.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
I am constantly surprised by the road holding/handling of stock tyres on road but have concerns about them on loose gravelly roads. So question- how do the knobbies go on road and do they suffer or hamper bikes handling? Suggestions for tyres?
Have the Kenda K784 Big Block tyres fitted, have had them on now for ages and they are wearing quite well, given they are a 60% Road/40% Off-Road compound/tread.

They are about the most aggressive "knobby" tyres that you can get for a 19/17" adventure bike combo (alongside the Continental TKC80), so I expected some limitations to their road characteristics, as they sacrifice some road ability for off-road ability.

What surprised me the most was how good they actually handle the tarmac! :yikes: I have never had an issue where I felt they were substandard, and I have given them a good run on twisty roads :thumbup:

Of course off-road they are awesome, give you so much confidence on hard packed dirt, soft/sandy corners and over rocks.

Plus they look awesome :thumbup:

You can read more here: Kenda K784 Big Block Tyres | A Pair of Stroms

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
I find it hard to believe that your givi bash plate is still spotless zedex9r! >>;P
Me too :mrgreen:

From the amount of sticks and rocks I hear bouncing off it I keep expecting to see it marked or damaged when I get off, but it is holding up really well :thumbup:

Whenever I hear a crack on the bash plate I keep thinking how that could have been the oil filter!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Me too :mrgreen:

From the amount of sticks and rocks I hear bouncing off it I keep expecting to see it marked or damaged when I get off, but it is holding up really well :thumbup:

Whenever I hear a crack on the bash plate I keep thinking how that could have been the oil filter!
You should be doing the 3 day ADV ride in Jindabyne!!!

·
Banned
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I just put on some K60 scouts. Pretty much a 50/50 tire, and pretty good road handling so far. They certainly rumble at lower speeds but smooth out above 30 mph. I have read that they last a long time, so I'm hoping to ride em for my summer excursion to Idaho.
Another vote for K60's, fine off road and if I can hold off an R1 on seal running them, good enough.

(That said, I did destroy the front doing that, but - well, it was worth it :) ).

Pete

·
Registered
60 Posts
Check the Metzeler Karoo 3 tires out. I ran them on a 19/17 wheel setup. A bit more agressive offroad then I expected but did as well as a set of TKC80's that I had on a 21/17 setup.

Not sure I will go with these on the new V Strom as I now prefer a bit more pavement then offroad but would consider them.

Front Karoo on a 19" Warp 9 Wheel

Rear Karoo on a 17" Warp 9 Wheel

·
Registered
453 Posts
As much as folks that own these fine "standard" motorcycles want to make them out to be off-road dirt bikes......they are not and will never be. Putting knobbie tires on a street bike does not a dirt bike make. Putting more aggressive tires on the V-Strom only compromises it's street designed brakes and steering geometry. I really like my 650 V-Strom Adventure and plan on keeping it a long long time. I put a bash plate on my bike to save the spin on oil filter and pipe from the rocks or debris from the front tire. If these bikes were designed for off road travel do you really think the oil filter location and pipe routing would be as it is:confused:...........Just my $.02........Mike

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
As much as folks that own these fine "standard" motorcycles want to make them out to be off-road dirt bikes......they are not and will never be. Putting knobbie tires on a street bike does not a dirt bike make. Putting more aggressive tires on the V-Strom only compromises it's street designed brakes and steering geometry. I really like my 650 V-Strom Adventure and plan on keeping it a long long time. I put a bash plate on my bike to save the spin on oil filter and pipe from the rocks or debris from the front tire. If these bikes were designed for off road travel do you really think the oil filter location and pipe routing would be as it is:confused:...........Just my $.02........Mike
Rubbish.

Don't be scared to take the V-Strom off-road, it is a much more capable bike than you think, as proven by many Strom riders over the years.

But that's ok, keep yours on the street, let the rest of us have the adventures :yesnod:

·
Registered
499 Posts
taking this the other way. I dont plan on taking my vstrom off the road for the first year. I noticed the tires on it are dual sport tires, is there any benefit of switching to a road only tire? Would I get better road performance?

I was considering maybe switching to a road tire and putting these back on when I am ready for some off roading.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Rubbish.

Don't be scared to take the V-Strom off-road, it is a much more capable bike than you think, as proven by many Strom riders over the years.

But that's ok, keep yours on the street, let the rest of us have the adventures :yesnod:[/QUOTE

You misinterpret my post. I'm not insulting your choice of motorcycle or how YOU use it. Please don't insult me. I once found a 1940's sedan automobile 50 miles from any road in a desert arroyo, stuck. I'm sure the person that drove it there thought it "capable". But it wasn't a 4X4 off road vehicle.
I've raced the desert in Nevada on a Yamaha IT bike alongside the off road trucks and rails and been axle deep in mud in the Maine woods. I've ridden bikes in Mexico, Canada and 38 states of the US. I've had adventures, been broke down in the middle of nowhere, crashed in the rain, worked and only owned a MC for 2 years that I road winter and summer rain, cold, heat. I used to eat, live, breath motorcycles for decades. Hell, I once road from St Johns Newfoundland to Argentia NFLD in a snow storm on a motorcycle. All I wanted to say and relay is there are more "capable" bikes designed for off road travel. Can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear so to speak. I travel up and down the dirt, gravel roads and I occasionally ride through the field to get somewhere and do it on my Strom. However I know my Strom isn't going to be anymore "capable" than a 1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R I used for the same thing in the '70's.
I like my V-Strom 650 better than any other motorcycle I've ever owned. I go where I want with it but I know that no change in tires or modifications that I can afford will make it into an off road motorcycle............Mike

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Rubbish.

But that's ok, keep yours on the street, let the rest of us have the adventures :yesnod:[/QUOTE

You misinterpret my post. I'm not insulting your choice of motorcycle or how YOU use it. Please don't insult me. I once found a 1940's sedan automobile 50 miles from any road in a desert arroyo, stuck. I'm sure the person that drove it there thought it "capable". But it wasn't a 4X4 off road vehicle.
I've raced the desert in Nevada on a Yamaha IT bike alongside the off road trucks and rails and been axle deep in mud in the Maine woods. I've ridden bikes in Mexico, Canada and 38 states of the US. I've had adventures, been broke down in the middle of nowhere, crashed in the rain, worked and only owned a MC for 2 years that I road winter and summer rain, cold, heat. I used to eat, live, breath motorcycles for decades. Hell, I once road from St Johns Newfoundland to Argentia NFLD in a snow storm on a motorcycle. All I wanted to say and relay is there are more "capable" bikes designed for off road travel. Can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear so to speak. I travel up and down the dirt, gravel roads and I occasionally ride through the field to get somewhere and do it on my Strom. However I know my Strom isn't going to be anymore "capable" than a 1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R I used for the same thing in the '70's.
I like my V-Strom 650 better than any other motorcycle I've ever owned. I go where I want with it but I know that no change in tires or modifications that I can afford will make it into an off road motorcycle............Mike
This is the best thing about a bike like the V-Strom, each owner can choose how/where they want to ride their "standard" motorcycle. :yesnod:

It is a very versatile package and will take many owners to their preferred choice of destination.

Yes there are many more capable off-road bikes out there, but at the expense of road manners. Just like there are better road bikes out there that are better and more capable than a V-Strom on road as well. It's the perfect blend of both that has contributed to the V-Strom's success over the past decade.

This thread was created by the OP to ask other owners about a tyre that is suitable for on/off road, as he is obviously interested in a better tyre for some off-road excursions. There was no need for you to get on here denouncing other owners choice of riding and tyre choices , not to mention giving out misinformation :thumbdown:

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Thanks for the link medve :thumbup:

These look good:

2 Day Navigation Ride – 7th and 8th June
Mittagong to Bathurst and return

2 day Navigation Ride – 12th and 13th of July
Lithgow to Orange and return

Will have to check my calendar dates :mrgreen:

·
Registered
73 Posts
not sure if it qualifies for "off road", but I do take the weestrom on dirt roads as much as possible, usually 2 up with camping gear. The original tires were pretty much junk for this, so I decided to try a karoo 3 front paired with a tourance rear. My thinking on this is, one, I need the rear to last, and most folks get 7-10k out of a rear tourance, which works for me, since I'll be taking this bike west later this year. Two, I really like the front to be secure on gravel/dirt roads, so I figured I'd try the karoo on the front and see how it would do. well, so far, it's great, feels awesome on gravel and dirt, and I have yet to find the limits on the pavement, of course, I'm no roadracer, but I DO like to ride the twisties at speed, and this tire feels pretty good for a knobby!
The main thing I'm looking for at this point is mileage, I know the rear is good, I'm just hoping I can get the same mileage out of the front. If I'm spending every weekend blasting around the backroads of WV, I'd probably wear it out pretty quick, but on tour, riding at a sane pace, I'm hoping it will last as long as the tourance rear.
anyways, not sure if any of this relates to the original topic!

·
Registered
358 Posts
taking this the other way. I dont plan on taking my vstrom off the road for the first year. I noticed the tires on it are dual sport tires, is there any benefit of switching to a road only tire? Would I get better road performance?

I was considering maybe switching to a road tire and putting these back on when I am ready for some off roading.
I'd say to go ahead and use them up. IMHO they are pretty much just street tires anyhow with hopefully just enough grip to keep me from busting my ass if I have to ride across some wet grass. I now have the Shinko E705 on my rear and it seems to be compatible with whats left of my OEM front and is about the same street/dirt ratio and are cheap. I think both the OEM and the Shinko stick well enough to the pavement. I manage to scrape pegs and haven't felt any tire slippage. I don't get real high mileage out of any tires and never have. That's just part of the cost of fun and well worth it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts