StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been kicking around the idea of tool tubes for awhile and a recent ride with soft bags had me thinking of a DIY saggy bag solution.

I ordered a set of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TT4M685/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...and with the addition of some M6 stainless hardware, No. 4 rubber stoppers, and some fender washers, came up with this:

They're mounted to the fore and aft-most mounting points for hard luggage. In between bike and tube are the rubber stoppers. I cut them down a little to the right length and then drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the center of them.

All in all, I'm happy with the way it turned out, and it was about $40 total. They look very clean to me. The pre-drilled mounting holes in the tubes were just about exactly the right spacing. The front most mounting hole is ovular to begin with and all I had to do to make the hole spacing work was round file out the rear mounting hole to be a little ovular. The pre drilled holes in the tool tubes are maybe about 1/4 inch to far apart. Making that work was easy peasy.

We'll see how tight things stay. The rubber stoppers are smashed pretty good, and I put a little blue locktite on the hardware during reassembly. I went for about 200 miles this morning, and upon returning, nothing has loosened at all. So far, so good, but I'll keep an eye on them. If the hardware does develop a tendency to loosen with the rubber stopper as backing, I'm thinking a couple cut rings of PVC conduit as backing for a 'hard up' fit.

I haven't ridden with the bags on, but a fitment test gives me a good feeling. I think this will work out well for keeping the bags from sagging into the exhaust and so forth.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've been kicking around the idea of tool tubes for awhile and a recent ride with soft bags had me thinking of a DIY saggy bag solution.

I ordered a set of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TT4M685/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...and with the addition of some M6 stainless hardware, No. 4 rubber stoppers, and some fender washers, came up with this:

They're mounted to the fore and aft-most mounting points for hard luggage. In between bike and tube are the rubber stoppers. I cut them down a little to the right length and then drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the center of them.
Looks great how about a couple of side profile pics.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My bike came with one of those tool tubes installed on the left side of the bike to the inside of the Solo Box pannier frame. I thought it was way too small, and did not like how easy it was for anyone to open and score some tools. I made one out of 4" PVC DWV pipe (the stuff used underground for downspouts, and closed the top off with a plumbers test plug. I removed the thumb nut and used a regular hex nut in its place. When tightened down with the wrench I carry in my top box, it is nigh on impossible to remove the plug unaided. Sure I had to make a custom bracket to hold this thing, but it works fine for me.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Me either, But I just purchased 2 of the same tubes from Agri supply and they were $3.99 each and $11 shipping total = $19 and change

So 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure what the deal with the pics are. They're hosted on Google photos and it seems some can see them and some can't. They appear for me on multiple computers.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I can't see the original pics either. You say that you post them from google photos? I've been trying to figure out for a long time how to post a photo from my google photos.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Not sure what the deal with the pics are. They're hosted on Google photos and it seems some can see them and some can't. They appear for me on multiple computers.
Nope - the pics went Bye Bye

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, I think I have the pics solved. I gave up on Google Photos and went with Flickr. I believe things are working now. Let me know if they aren't, and sorry for the run around.

·
Registered
14,130 Posts
I can see the pics, neener, neener. With no saddle bags on it looks like you have afterburners. Too Hip!
I agree with Rachet though. The drain pipe is super light weight and inexpensive. The caps are like a buck each. Most expensive part was the lock hasp. I got a set of 5 keyed alike locks, well they were about 10 bucks. I can cut to length the drain pipe too. Depending on the saddle bag frame you can get 18" or more of the 4" stuff.
One of the better DIY guys suggested the Square plastic tubing 'cus you get more area in the tube with a square profile.
So many chances to get creative!

·
Vendor
4,656 Posts
About the drain tubes...

But the tool tubes are only $4 each (plus postage from agrisupply, they call them manual canisters). And the are done, no work needed.

Except for maybe the mounts. I guess there must be something to the mounting. Nihilate, got pics of the mounts?

Anyway, looks a lot better than what was being offered on Amazon (zip tie mounting). I like it for the price and functionality. Good share. Farkle of the week contender.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
About the drain tubes...

But the tool tubes are only $4 each (plus postage from agrisupply, they call them manual canisters). And the are done, no work needed.

Except for maybe the mounts. I guess there must be something to the mounting. Nihilate, got pics of the mounts?

Anyway, looks a lot better than what was being offered on Amazon (zip tie mounting). I like it for the price and functionality. Good share. Farkle of the week contender.
Thanks Rick! Not much to show about the mounting other than the pics I posted. The tube feet are pre-drilled and the holes just about perfectly line up with the stock luggage mount points on the bike. I just pulled the M6 bolts from the mount points and secured the tube to that point with an M6 stainless bolt and a rubber stopper as backing.

·
Registered
360 Posts
No , on the Crosstourers we use two extra large rural mailboxes mounted just like your tool tubes. Lots of storage , but if it's parked in the driveway it confuses the mailman .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts