StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a SW-Motech centerstand on the K5 650 that I just traded. Never had any issues with it other than bottoming on the thing once a month or so.

I'm planning to buy another centerstand for my K7 and want to know if any of you folks have bottomed the OEM stand.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
i have heard that the motech stand bottoms easier than the OEM. all i can say is i'm delighted with my OEM stand. it deploys very easily and i've never touched pavement with it while cornering.

·
Registered
273 Posts
+1 for the OEM stand too. Plus is comes with this stupid feeler for the foot peg (which I tossed).

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The latest SW stands have a higher crossbar. I've never bottomed my older model though. Then again, I'm 100lbs lighter than the 285 I've so often seen reported here.:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm happy with the OEM stand -- stable and easy to use. I did screw the inch-long feeler into the left peg, but I haven't scraped it yet even though I have had occasion to use pretty much all of the tire leaning in that direction. I'm not exactly bold when it comes to aggressive cornering, though, so I cannot represent (a) how much further I could lean before scraping the long feeler peg, (b) how much further I could lean before scraping the hard bits of the OEM stand, and (c) how much further I could lean before running out of tire.

·
38,048 Posts
With the long feeler, you get a warning as the footpeg scrapes, vibrates and starts to lift. Without it, the first thing that happens is the sound of the centerstand lever scraping. Very shortly following that, if no corrective action is taken, the rear wheel loses traction and you are sliding across the road. Just so you know.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
it takes a pretty big hit to lever the tire off the road. more likely that you will gradually grind down the deploy tang on the centerstand.

the beauty of big dual-sports like the v-strom is that they are so high off the ground it is pretty hard to scrape (unless, of course, you lower the bike). and if you ARE routinely scraping, you are either:

1) a much better rider than i am
2) on a fast track to a new set of plaster boots

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The initial question was definitely about bottoming as opposed to scraping. Potholes, bumpy roads, speedbumps, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I know a fella who was levering the rear tire off the ground :p He was dragging the exhaust on the ground (Leo Vince system). I should mention Rob is a great rider and ex racer I think.

FWIW I wore the stock Trailwings right to the very edge on my 05 Strom and never dragged a hard part :confused: Peter Beens can verify that comment as he saw my bike and the tires

it takes a pretty big hit to lever the tire off the road. more likely that you will gradually grind down the deploy tang on the centerstand.

the beauty of big dual-sports like the v-strom is that they are so high off the ground it is pretty hard to scrape (unless, of course, you lower the bike). and if you ARE routinely scraping, you are either:

1) a much better rider than i am
2) on a fast track to a new set of plaster boots

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the new sw motech centerstand and a lowered Wee. I haven't done much offroading but the only time I bottomed out was over a speedbump with loaded cases and a passenger. Didn't hurt the centerstand at all either.

·
38,048 Posts
I forget whether it's been mentioned but SW-Motech redesigned their centerstand. The new models have more ground clearance.

·
38,048 Posts
There may be a difference between the 650 and 1000 situation. The page for the 1000 has no updated information while the 650 shows the following at http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/310/203/

SW-MOTECH and Germany's TUV (their version of the Department of Transportation) have tested the straight-ahead ground clearance of both centerstands with the suspension fully compressed. This test showed that SW-MOTECH's original version 1 centerstand has a minimum ground clearance of 62mm (2.44 inches), while the Suzuki stand had a minimum ground clearance of 85mm (3.35 inches). Neither centerstand touched the ground.

The test concluded that if the stock suspension was fully compressed while traveling straight-ahead on flat ground, neither centerstand could contact the ground. This test did not investigate ground clearance on uneven off-road surfaces.

Since the test, SW-MOTECH has revised their design and increased ground clearance by 8mm (0.31 inches), for a total minimum ground clearance of 70mm (2.75 inches). The difference between the minimum ground clearance using the Suzuki and SW-MOTECH centerstand is now 15mm (0.6 inches), the approximate diameter of a "pinkie" finger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts