StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
One or more of you must have ordered this, right?

I need some clarity:
How exactly does it attach to the bike? (or) The photo is pretty clear with what's happening on the right side, but on the left side where we can't see it, does one have to use any of the existing engine cover bolts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Are they really worth $240 bucks is what I'm wondering. :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
On both sides, you use the existing engine bolts to attach brackets to the bike, and then you bolt the cowling to the brackets. There is also an attachment point at the top front.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On both sides, you use the existing engine bolts to attach brackets to the bike, and then you bolt the cowling to the brackets. There is also an attachment point at the top front.
:thumbsup: Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
87 Posts
UC

Two Shots, What brand of crash bars are seen in your pic of the under cowling? My SW-M bars don't fit with the OEM under cowl.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Those are suzuki bars..

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are they really worth $240 bucks is what I'm wondering. :confused:
I only paid $190, and the short answer is 'YES!'. It looks great, it is plastic, but it is a strong resin which DOES offer protection and it is more scratch resistant than painted steel. Also, it does not have to be removed to change the oil filter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I only paid $190, and the short answer is 'YES!'. It looks great, it is plastic, but it is a strong resin which DOES offer protection and it is more scratch resistant than painted steel. Also, it does not have to be removed to change the oil filter.
Where did you order yours from? they are listed at $289 on the suzuki website, and I definatly don't want to pay that much.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bars

Thanks two shots. May have to go that way.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Where did you order yours from? they are listed at $289 on the suzuki website, and I definatly don't want to pay that much.
I picked mine up at the local shop where I bought my bike. The original price is $226.99, but when you purchase a bike there, they give you 15% off? Take a look at that link in my other post, it clearly shows the suggested retail price to be $226.99 cdn for the undercowling.
I can't see it being cheaper on Suzukis web site in Canada, it was probably a price adjustment that has not hit the US yet

·
Registered
220 Posts
I picked mine up at the local shop where I bought my bike. The original price is $226.99, but when you purchase a bike there, they give you 15% off? Take a look at that link in my other post, it clearly shows the suggested retail price to be $225.99 cdn for the undercowling.
I can't see it being cheaper on Suzukis web site in Canada, it was probably a price adjustment that has not hit the US yet. Here is the Suzuki Canada link:
Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - V-Strom 650 - 2012 - DL650A - Accessories
Just click on the 'Lower Fairing' link

·
Registered
6 Posts
Under cowling versus oil cooler on 2011 ABS

I bought the under cowling from the local dealer not knowing it was not intended for the 2011 with an oil cooler. The cross bracket/bar that the upper portion of the cowling attaches to uses the same two bolt holes used to hold the oil cooler. I was going to return it but now I am thinking maybe I can modify the cross bracket to bolt in the same location as the cooler. Or possibly design some aditional side brackets, similar to the A-frame shaped ones that hold the bottom part of the cowling, to hold the upper cowling in lieu of the cross bar. I don't believe the cowling was intended to protect anything as much as it is to look good and cover the oil filter area that looks somewhat unfinished. I can't imagine why Suzuki would let these bikes out the door with out some sort of cover down there? In any case I may give it a go and hope I don't make a $300 mistake!

·
Registered
6 Posts
so if the OEM cowling is used, will only the OEM bars fit?
i have the OEM cowl. ordered. looking at bars.. glad this was posted today.
I ordered some Givi bars. I hope I can make them work along with my (maybe) modification to the support brackets on the OEM under cowling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cowling price in San Diego.

I picked mine up at the local shop where I bought my bike. The original price is $226.99, but when you purchase a bike there, they give you 15% off? Take a look at that link in my other post, it clearly shows the suggested retail price to be $225.99 cdn for the undercowling.
I can't see it being cheaper on Suzukis web site in Canada, it was probably a price adjustment that has not hit the US yet. Here is the Suzuki Canada link:
Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - V-Strom 650 - 2012 - DL650A - Accessories
Just click on the 'Lower Fairing' link
Mine was $289.00, $281.00 with discount. Kind of pricey considering I will have to build some brackets to make it fit my bike. It was not intended for the bikes with oil cooler...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts