StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Vee (k9) factory top box exhibits a bit of rocking/looseness when locked down to its mount.

I removed the top box and noticed that there are two styles of rubber bumpers for supporting the top box. One style being flat topped (quantity 2) and the other bullet nosed (quantity 4).
The installed pattern of the bumper styles is not symmetrical and is probably allowing the top box to rock when locked down to the mount.
Starting from the rear key lock down bracket, (going clockwise), the current pattern is as follows:

flat........bullet
. .
. .
. .
bullet bullet
. .
. .
. .
flat..lock..bullet

I'm thinking that the two flat rubber bumpers should be installed either both at the rear of the mount, or both at the front of the mount.

Could someone please check out their factory mount and report back with the correct pattern for the rubber mounts?

Thanks in advance.

Ray B.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rubber spacers

Had the same problem with my top trunk, my answer an it worked for me an its cheap. I cut some 1/4 tubing it took a couple to get the right thickness an gluled them on with silicone putting a dab in each hole

·
Registered
813 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
I had the same issue with my Givi. Corrected by simply cutting a section of neoprene (that rubber wetsuit stuff or goto a drug store and buy a cheap knee support sleeve). Problem solved.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Upon further investigation, I noticed that on the racks for the OEM bags, the bumpers were also populated with both types of bumpers.
(The bags also seemed to be loose on their racks.)
When the luggage system was put on by the dealer, the tech must of arbitrarily put in the bumpers onto all the racks.

There are a total of 8 bullet type bumpers and 6 flat topped type bumpers.
I placed all the bullet type in the saddlebag racks and the flat bumpers onto the top trunk rack.

The saddlebags were perfect with the bullet type bumpers!

As suggested by Blackrock charlie above, I placed a piece of higher tubing around each flat bumper and it worked as described.
Additionally, I placed some adhesive backed foam weather strips, (cut to a taper), on each side of the top box latch receptacle.

The top box doesn't rattle around and move side to side at the rack latch anymore.

Thanks again
Ray B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts