StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the info...

Let me know what you think of the OEM centerstand once you get it. I'm still undecided between the OEM and the Motech centerstand :?

Cheers,
Lucky

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think this stand just came out.

I know a guy who bought a used 650 several months ago and his had an OEM stand

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OEM Stand

Nope, as far as I know Suzuki has not offered the centerstand for this bike until now. I have been asking Suzuki since April when I bought my bike. Some people were trying to put a DL 1000 stand on it, but it didn't fit. SW Motech was really on the ball, and had a stand out for it immediately.

I installed the OEM stand this afternoon, it took about 30 minutes or so. Very good fit, the welding is so-so, but who really cares given where the part is located on the bike. Functions very well, it seems to be well balanced. Easy to lift the bike, and just the right amount of effort to push it back off the stand. On the shop floor the bike seems pretty stable. I had one part left over, it's a 10 mm flat sided stud called a "sensor", but the diagram location doesn't match my bike layout.

My riding buddy put a SW Motech stand from twisted throttle on his bike last spring, and he swears by it. The fit and finish on the MOTECH stand is superb, and he is happy with the function. A truly superior product, according to him. But landed in Canada with all taxes and exchange paid, he paid 50% more than I did.

Overall, I'd go for the OEM stand, now that they're available. I'm a cheap bastard, and it does the same job but 2/3 the price. And if I have any problems with it, I can go down the street and throw it at the parts clerk.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: OEM Stand

Der Strom said:
Nope, as far as I know Suzuki has not offered the centerstand for this bike until now.
This might be true in U.S. but over here in Europe center stands were available already last summer. Bought my bike new in mid-June with factory center stand. And yes - it works great.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I put my DL1000 stand on my 650. The only difference that I could see was the 650 is missing a boss on the frame. All I did was add a spacer.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, as far as I know Suzuki has not offered the centerstand for this bike until now. I have been asking Suzuki since April when I bought my bike. Some people were trying to put a DL 1000 stand on it, but it didn't fit. SW Motech was really on the ball, and had a stand out for it immediately.
The bike I'm talking about was in Ontario so either it had a DL1000 stand retrofitted, he has a SW Motech stand and doesn't know it or your dealer is wrong. I'm pretty sure the dealer in Kingston where I bought mine offered me the stnad in about May. I had installed an SW motech in April

·
Registered
232 Posts
Now I know the Australian dealers are really stealers, they want $450 here for a suzuki centre stand, our dollar is only 77 US cents but even still $450 seems a bit rude when the whole bike costs $9990 new :x

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re. centre stand discussion

The centre stand was offered in the UK for the 650 a while ago. List price at the end of last year was 123 GBP, plus VAT, however that compares with Aussie dollars? Still sounds a lot to me; SW Motech was even dearer, but looked better made. I bought a Motrax paddock stand for 26 GBP to do the maintenance. Not so convenient, but a bloody sight cheaper. :lol:

Simon.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Are there any issues fitting other aftermarket stuff when using the Suzuki stand. IE will motech bars fit a bike with an oem centerstand?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Motech engine bars (I presume you mean these?) fit onto the centre engine mount and the front/top bracket mount (i.e. the front/top of the 'Vee' bracket that the engine is slung from). They fit really easily, and I can't see that they will interfere with the centre stand. I'll scan in a picture of the OEM stand if I can find it, and try to add it to this post.

Simon.

Hey, I've just had a better look at the accessories catalogue, and Suzuki supply engine bars in balck or silver that look exactly like the SW-Motech version, and they're cheaper! Doh! :roll:

As far as the image of the stand (or the whole page of accessories for that matter?), send me a PM and I'll e-mail it to anyone who wants it. OK?

·
Registered
12 Posts
FWIW - I know for a fact that the stand has been available in Canada since at least June of '04, and I have an invoice from Blackfoot Motosports to prove it, dated 06/28/04.

The 10mm flat sided sensor you refer to is a replacement for the LH footpeg feeler. The foot bar on the stand sticks out enough that when leaned over, it will ground before the stock peg feeler. Installing the longer (and goofy looking) "sensor" is a cheap fix. Having the stand hit without warning is not a good thing. I intend to modify the foot lever by cutting it off, shortening it by 1.5" and welding it back on. After seeing the stand on the DL1000, it became pretty clear that the basic stand is the same, except for perhapos the mounting lugs. The foot lever on the 1000 needs to be longer to clear the LH exhaust (something not needed on the 650 of course)...

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: OEM Stand

Der Strom said:
Nope, as far as I know Suzuki has not offered the centerstand for this bike until now...
Actually, it was available as of late-March 2004; your Suzuki dealer was just too stupid to know about it! Don't feel bad, the dealer where I bought mine wasn't too bright either. :? I actually called 6 different Suzuki dealers in NB, NS and PEI: 4 said there was no such thing, 2 said they could get it within a week. :wink:

Which just goes to show how many Suzuki dealers simply don't have a clue :D

Cheers,
Lucky

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ive continued to check with dealers in my area here in Australia for a DL 650 stand, so far Ive got "they dont make one mate" from 1 dealer, $450 from another and get this,$607 from yet another. I might be able to get a DL 1000 srand cheaper but noticed 1 thread saying they dont fit and 1 thread saying all you need to do is add a spacer,not haveing ever seen either of these centre stands Id apreciate any advice on weather a DL 1000 stand can be made to fit :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There definately IS one. Try the Yahoo DL650 group. There are several members from Australia who may be able to help with country specific part numbers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts