StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Recently had a small crash on gravel and I noticed that one of the side pannier attachment pins have been bent. Not sure if I will be able to straighten it out so I was wondering if you could identify the part or guide me to a place where I could get a replacement part.

These seem to be the OEM Suzuki side pannier racks. They fit the rounded, plastic Suzuki side panniers.

Thankyou!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am not an expert on the subject, but Suzuki probably bought the parts from a manufacturer. Maybe you can find which (probably a logo somewhere in or in the cases), and go from there?

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Have you tried to unscrew the bolt out of the bobbin ?

It may require some heat ?

You could just change the bolt with another bolt or some treaded rod if you can get the old bolt out.

Putting the bolt in from the other side of the frame would make getting the right length bolt easier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not an expert on the subject, but Suzuki probably bought the parts from a manufacturer. Maybe you can find which (probably a logo somewhere in or in the cases), and go from there?
The original panniers come from an Italian brand named Soft, but they don't exist anymore...

By the way: these bobbins are different than the givi bobbins , although they look similar

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have figured out about the manufacturer, but as @NielsieZ already mentioned company dont exist anymore so not much luck there.
Also, @Rolex its a one piece. Nut is removable, but the thread is one piece with the part where the luggage slides on.

Maybe there is a similar mounting pins from other manufacturers?

I have looked at these as an possible alternative option. Mounting seems quite similar. EVO side carrier adapter kit for Givi cases - SW-MOTECH So they would not fit @NielsieZ ?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have some of the SW Motech bobbins which are slightly taller & larger diameter than the Givi bobbins. They still dont look as tall as the ones shown on those Soft racks...but mabe a spacer & longer countersink bolt would work. I'll measure the Motech bobbins & edit this post to include the dimensions.

Motech Bobbin head 19mm shank 11mm height 17mm
Givi bobbin head 16mm shank 10mm height 10mm

Another option would be to cut off the bent stud..then drill & tap threads for a bolt in bobbin if it's all 1 piece. (Or drill thru & countersink for bolt like the Motech & Givi bobbins.
View attachment 287430

·
Registered
499 Posts
That is...

Unless its a separate stud screwed into threads that are already there. Be sure to check closely before cutting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will double check that. I also think that those Givi bobbins from SW-motech might just work If I get the right spacer.

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
I will double check that. I also think that those Givi bobbins from SW-motech might just work If I get the right spacer.
SW-Motech makes several different sets of adapters for their racks so you can mount other brands of side/top cases. Might want to check out the other "bobbins" and see which is the closest.

Twisted Throttle - SW Motech adapters (scroll about half way down, hopefully)

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
To me the bobbin looked alloy ?

If it is alloy it must be two parts, if it is steel it could be one piece.

If it is one piece you could drill right through and secure it to the frame with a countersunk bolt or drill and tap and feed the bolt in from the rear.

Start with a small pilot hole taking care to get it in the centre.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As far as I remember the bobbins for Givi Monokey are slightly smaller. I converted a stock (Soft) top case rack to Givi Monokey a couple of years ago, and I had to go for the Givi bobbins because the stock ones wouldn't go into the case - but I believe it were mainly the heads who where too big. Too bad I sold the bike a month ago so I can't tell you if it will work the other way (original case on Givi bobbins).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts