StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there 3 different OEM seats for the v2, or is there just a "low" or "high" seat option?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
3 different seats :)

Low, regular and high.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bville-Bud I don't have a pic I can post right now...

But judging by the pics that York posted, I think mine is the standard seat.

So now I've gotta decide if I wanna try the tall seat for $200 or shell out 400 to 500 bucks for a custom. I'm 6'4" so I could benefit from a little room between the seat and pegs...

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm enjoying a tall seat and Adventure Tech's peg lowering bracket. On the long rides, I'll toss on the Airhawk R, which gives just a touch more height and distributes the pressure for butt happiness.

Bville - a taller seat is generally desired to provide more distance between the pegs and seat for those with longer legs (less knee bend angle). Adjusting sag won't change this geometry.

edit: 6'1" with 34" inseam.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm too much of a "redneck engineer" but wonder if you might try a cheaper solution while you determine your seat needs? Maybe a sheepskin or a pad & sheepskin would give you some extra height?

When I first bought mine I was dead set on buying a shorter seat; now that I have gotten some miles on her I'm glad I didn't get a shorter seat.

I know thinking like this I should have bought a KLR...

Bville-Bud I don't have a pic I can post right now...

But judging by the pics that York posted, I think mine is the standard seat.

So now I've gotta decide if I wanna try the tall seat for $200 or shell out 400 to 500 bucks for a custom. I'm 6'4" so I could benefit from a little room between the seat and pegs...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm too much of a "redneck engineer" but wonder if you might try a cheaper solution while you determine your seat needs? Maybe a sheepskin or a pad & sheepskin would give you some extra height?

I know thinking like this I should have bought a KLR...
I've been masturdebating about my arse comfort/ legroom issues for days lol. Can't ride right now bc of weather and work, but I folded up a towel on the seat and sat on the bike in the garage... definitely would benefit from extra legroom. I'm thinking maybe just a seat pad and peg lowering kit for starters....

I have a KLR and the ergos are pretty good for me. However I don't take it on any long rides and the stock seat is not comfortable for me. But that's an issue for another forum lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
I JUST bought a '16 Wee EXP last week. I'm about halfway through a 2000 mile two-up shakedown trip and despite lots of extra padding (probably at least an extra 40mm/inch-and-a-half with a buttbuster, then gel pad, then Airhawk) I find for any day over about 150 miles (my shortest day so far) the seat is horrid! Not only does my 34" inseam STILL feel cramped despite the extra height, the convex shape of the seat seems to put way too much pressure on my tailbone and even the airhawk can't help (and yes, I DID adjust the airhawk properly!) I had a dual Russell Day Long on my R1200GS and I did multiple 600 mile-plus days without any pain or discomfort at ALL! I get the fact that Russell's are as ugly as sin, but who buys an ADV bike (particularly a Strom) 'because pretty'?? I get that they're expensive, but when you're doing REALLY long days like I often do, it's worth every red penny!!! My partner agrees, although with an extra 3-inches of very wide padding 'netted' down to her seat, hers doesn't seem to be as bad!

As soon as the snow flies, I'll send my pan out to RDL with instructions to add an inch and a half or so, plus I'll do the AdventureTech lowered pegs. That ought to make my new ride truly iron-butt worthy!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I bought the tall seat for about 260 bucks.
At first it seemed a little weird in the padding department, but I now find it quite comfy and it gave me some more leg room.
I don't do 600 mile days.
From what I have read, if you are doing big days, you might be better off with a Russel Day Long.
Right tool for the right job.
Having said that I am satisfied with the OEM tall and would do it again.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was just joking about the KLR due to my redneck engineering. Strap on a seat cover, next thing you know I'll have a milk crate strapped to the back.

I've been masturdebating about my arse comfort/ legroom issues for days lol. Can't ride right now bc of weather and work, but I folded up a towel on the seat and sat on the bike in the garage... definitely would benefit from extra legroom. I'm thinking maybe just a seat pad and peg lowering kit for starters....

I have a KLR and the ergos are pretty good for me. However I don't take it on any long rides and the stock seat is not comfortable for me. But that's an issue for another forum lol

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I bought the tall seat for about 260 bucks.
At first it seemed a little weird in the padding department, but I now find it quite comfy and it gave me some more leg room.
I don't do 600 mile days.
From what I have read, if you are doing big days, you might be better off with a Russel Day Long.
Right tool for the right job.
Having said that I am satisfied with the OEM tall and would do it again.
Do you find the Tall seat kills any of the vibrations to the rider? I've got the stock seat... and tonight noticed my teeth buzzing when i was on the hwy.

I'll probably do the drop pegs first...but that won't kill the vibes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Midwinter, you will be able to flat foot, I'm 6'1" with no issues. I have a tall seat and lowering brackets for sale if anyone is interested.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts