StromTrooper banner

OEM Plastic Sidecases for 2017-2022 650XT

1266 Views 13 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  81Delorean
I have bought some sidecases used off of the Market Place. The right sidecase works like a charm. The left side locking mechanism will not work. The handle will not completely go down flat which prevents sidecase from being securely latched to bike. Does anybody have any experience with this type of problem with their sidecases. It seems to be some obstruction that will not let the handle properly close. Trying to take it apart, there seems to be pop rivets that hold all of guts of the case. I am afraid to drill out the rivets and have parts go everywhere. I have tried to close with latch open, closeded and with key or without key. No luck! My Suzuki dealer does not know how to repair. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Trunk Netbook
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Trunk Netbook
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2020 Suzuki 650 XT Adventure
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cant tell from the pic. Is the case locked in this picture? MIne has to be in the unlocked position to close all the way. Or maybe the lock is not all the way disengaged.
Case is unlocked. I have tried every way I know. Real mystery that I can get the right side case to operate properly but the left side absolutely will not. If the handle does not fold completely flat, the little bar that slides through the slot will not go through to secure case. The slotted mechanism does not go down far enough to engage the little bar.

· Registered
4,337 Posts
Is it not perhaps a case of turn in one direction in ordr to open the panner storage area and the turn the key in the other direction to remove the pannier for the pannier rack?

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I realized I posted on the incorrect years of bike in the original one by mistake. So I reposted. Being somewhat new to the forum, I did not know how to delete or move thread.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I realized I posted on the incorrect years of bike in the original one by mistake. So I reposted. Being somewhat new to the forum, I did not know how to delete or move thread.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, key only turns in one direction.
There is plenty of grease on the inside where the sliding rail is so I have not tried spraying silicon on it. You really can't get any good pictures because of where it is inside of case. The handle comes to a dead stop about 1/4 inch of how far it is supposed to go. Pushing any harder could break it loose....or break the.whole mechanism.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Case will close completely off of the bike. The bar that comes up from the bottom of the bag to go Into the mounting bracket that attaches to the bike comes up exactly the same distance as the bar on the other case. The handle will just nor fold the final 1/4 inch it needs to go in order for the locking bar to slide through the slot.

· Registered
89 Posts
If i understand correctly works fine off the bike handle goes down and the case locks? If that is true is the mounting puck the bottom of the case attaches to crooked or angled in or out to keep the bar from Lining up and attaching to the mounting slot on top

· Registered
337 Posts
If when the case is off the bike, the key turns fine, the case opens/closes fine, and the handle goes all the way down when the case is off the bike, then it has to be something with the mounting. I know mine is kinda finicky sometimes if it isn't seated in the brackets just right. Check and make sure there isn't some sort of obstruction where the tab goes up into the mount. If it works when it's off the bike then the case is fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts