StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I saw the new bike with the luggage equipped on it at the IMS, I asked one of the Suzuki reps if a helmet would fit in either of the two side-cases. He was a really nice guy, and he wasn't sure, so he grabbed a Bell Star helmet to see if it would fit in the larger left side case, it would not.

Apparently due to customer complaints about the width of previous OEM luggage from Suzuki, they went a bit overboard with trying to make it very narrow. So unless you want the Weber BBQ attached up top out back to store your helmet in, you're out of luck.

Hopefully the aftermarket will address this issue and offer some at least slightly larger capacity panniers for this bike.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I agree with the idea that you should be able to put a full size full face helmet in one of the panniers. Like you said, one of the aftermarket companies will most likely offer one that does.

For a number of reasons, I never got panniers on my '11 Wee. I use a Givi V46 top box and find it very useful. It holds my Shoei Multitech and a host of other things in it. I do not find it awkward looking or a problem on any level. I most likely will get a Givi topbox for my new VeeII when it comes. For camping and road trips, I use waterproof soft bags and soft flat tie down straps.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I can cram a system helmet into the side cases of my ST13 (if I crack the chin guard open) but that is about the only bike I've had in 30 years that I could do that. Helmets always end up in my top box.

The previous generation wee had a great top box with a shape that is optimized for two full-face helmets. Most ADV riders who use their bikes locally for commuting, tend to leave the side cases off on a day-to-day basis, and only use them for touring. In addition, the wee top case will hold my 15.6 laptop on my daily commute.

·
Registered
327 Posts
To each his own, but I never use a top box for a helmet. Space is usually at a premium when travelling and I don't leave a box empty just so I can stow a helmet.... put on a helmet lock elsewhere on the bike instead?

·
Registered
899 Posts
To each his own, but I never use a top box for a helmet. Space is usually at a premium when travelling and I don't leave a box empty just so I can stow a helmet.... put on a helmet lock elsewhere on the bike instead?
That is the fallback for sure. My clothes and tools etc. go in the side bags. Camp stuff has its own bag across the passenger seat. Top box holds a couple of warm layers, running shoes - nothing heavy - leaving space for a helmet and misc. consumables.

When I travel with my wife, she rides the wee and then we try to leave her top box more or less empty for our helmets.

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
When I saw the new bike with the luggage equipped on it at the IMS, I asked one of the Suzuki reps if a helmet would fit in either of the two side-cases. He was a really nice guy, and he wasn't sure, so he grabbed a Bell Star helmet to see if it would fit in the larger left side case, it would not..........
Curious......

Did you ask to see if it fit in the factory suzuki top case?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I am going to guess this bike is so highly anticipated that you might be able to get some aftermarket stuff before you even get the bike!:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Curious......

Did you ask to see if it fit in the factory suzuki top case?

We did not try that, but I'd say there's more than a very good chance that it will.

Also, for those of you recommending adding a helmet lock of some kind, while they can work our just fine in nice weather, they don't work out so well in rainy weather, and they also make your helmet more susceptible to being seen and enticing thieves and vandals.

·
Registered
240 Posts
helmet cable?

A friend of mine got a "free" helmet cable for locking his helmet on his handle bars. It was free with a bike magazine subscription. Does anyone know were one can get such a thing? It was great.

·
Registered
899 Posts
A friend of mine got a "free" helmet cable for locking his helmet on his handle bars. It was free with a bike magazine subscription. Does anyone know were one can get such a thing? It was great.
Any bicycle store sells cable locks in all manner of shapes and sizes. Most can be nipped through with bolt cutters or battery powered mini grinders in seconds.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Any bicycle store sells cable locks in all manner of shapes and sizes. Most can be nipped through with bolt cutters or battery powered mini grinders in seconds.
I would guess most top boxes could be pried open with a large screwdriver just as quickly.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I currently have the SW-Motech Trax luggage system on my Vee and was I hoping, if I found myself purchasing a new DL1000, that I could move it across to the new model but when I saw the bike in the flesh I was concerned that the sub-frame and rack appeared a bit delicate looking for anything substantial other than the OEM luggage system or light weight equivalent.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I would guess most top boxes could be pried open with a large screwdriver just as quickly.
True, but the box hides the contents. Your $800 helmet out in the open is likely to attract more attention than a black box that could contain anything or nothing.

Two years ago, we were riding with another couple, and stopped in a state park to walk to a lookout. This was at the end of a 10 mile road that was behind a paid gate. The other couple locked their helmets to the bike, while ours were inside the top box. When we came back, both of their helmets were dangling from the cable, and it was clear that someone had tried to yank them off the bike.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Your $800 helmet out in the open is likely to attract more attention than a black box that could contain anything or nothing.
Oh, that's why I didn't think of it. My $80 helmet probably doesn't attract too much attention!:biggrinjester:

No, you are right. Unseen is better. Much of the time, I leave my helmet on the ground next to the bike if I am not too far away, or I take it in with me ( a bit of a pain). On trips, my top box is already reserved. I should just park next to the guys with Arai helmets on their bikes.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Oh, that's why I didn't think of it. My $80 helmet probably doesn't attract too much attention!:biggrinjester:

No, you are right. Unseen is better. Much of the time, I leave my helmet on the ground next to the bike if I am not too far away, or I take it in with me ( a bit of a pain). On trips, my top box is already reserved. I should just park next to the guys with Arai helmets on their bikes.
I learned that its generally not a good idea to put a lot of weight in the top box. I had an aluminum parcel rack flexing pretty badly under the weight of the Givi top box on one trans-America trip (expansion joints). Consequently, I moved the excess weight forward to the passenger seat (in a 60 ltr bag) and keep the top box relatively empty.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was on the horn with GIVIUSA today asking about their Tanklock Tankbags and their rear top cases. I'm planning on stopping by their US HQ in Charlotte, NC Friday to look at it all in person. Apparently they have a large showroom of everything. I'm looking for a rear top case just big enough to fit my XD-4. I shall figure that out Friday in their showroom. They said they are also in development to make a Tanklock ring for that bike since the tank now has this big plastic facia on it. They saw it at the recent Florida AIMExpo. I also asked if they were the OEM for Suzuki on this bike. They said no. Anyone have any idea who makes the cases? I'm guessing the OEM top case will cost millions compared to a high quality aftermarket, perhaps made by Suzuki's OEM source.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Personally, I'd probably never buy any manufacturer's "factory luggage," nice or not, because they are going to charge a premium for it. As an example, Kawasaki wants $1,400 for the set (Givi made) on their 2014 Ninja 1000. Yes, it's color matched, but that's a lot of money for steel tubing and some plastic. The AM will provide many good options for the Veek for a lot less I suspect than what Suzuki will want.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Unless you buy the ADV or SE models, with bags included. That seems to be the best value -- if you want OEM bags. In CA, someone mentioned that the OEM top box will be $930 !

The last gen wee/vee OEM luggage was made by Soft Italia. Not sure about the new vee, but I think the current wee luggage might be made by Hepco and Becker

1 - 20 of 21 Posts