StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious, I picked up an '05 wee and as it is new to me decided to do an oil and filter change. I picked up an OEM filter from my local dealer (p/n 16510-03G00-X07). When I got it out to install it, it did not have the exposed nut at the tip to tighten it, it just looked like a normal oil filter. Should the OEM filters have this exposed nut? Or do you have to specify a different p/n?

The non-OEM filter that was on there previously lacked this nut at the tip so I do not suppose it is any big deal, just curious as the owners manual shows different.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
I've never seen an OEM filter with a tightening nut on it, and I've used a bunch of them. The only ones I've seen with them are K&N, but there may be others.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Only the K&N replacement oil filter has a nut on the front. The OEM filter uses a special tool.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I see what it is is now. When I went back after seeing the tool posted by Greywolf, that is what I was seeing in the grainy picture. It looked like the K&N filter with the exposed nut.

Thanks.

·
Registered
575 Posts
you can also just use a filter wrench.... they sell that at autozone. or be a cheap ass like myself and just skewer the thing with a screw driver and pry on it when it's time to take it off...

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
The filter wrench that fits the filters on my Corolla happens to work on the V-Strom filter as well... YMMV. I usually use Wix/Napa filters on both.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did pick up a filter wrench for the wee. This was more confusion over what I saw in the maintenance manual. Looked like the K&N filter with the exposed nut but they were just showing it with the tool on top of the filter. Guess my eyes are getting weaker :mrgreen:

·
Registered
561 Posts
In addition, when I did my oil change after the dealers initial 600 mile service, I used a strap wrench. That thing has come in so handy for other stuff also I am glad I bought it. Since I had it I figured I'd try it.

Rick

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
The filter wrench that fits the filters on my Corolla happens to work on the V-Strom filter as well... YMMV. I usually use Wix/Napa filters on both.
Yep. Same as 4 cylinder Toyota. But the Amsoil filter is a different size. :yikes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wal-Mart carries a cap tool similar to the one in Greywolf's photo for under 4 bucks. Works great on the Suzuki filter as well as the slightly smaller size that is used by Honda, Kawasaki, and others.

·
Registered
7 Posts
filter wrench

I had a band type oil filter wrench used to fit the filter for a 350 Chev. It was too big for the Wee filter , ao all I did was take a small length of used radiator hose and slit it down the middle and fit it inside the band. Grips great and now one wrench fits all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts