StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with the 12+ 650 Adventure OEM luggage replaced a key? I broke one off earlier today. I just stopped by the local dealer and they said keys are unavailable and that I'd need to buy a new lockset.

I'd prefer to just to have a spare key made, so if anyone knows how to source a blank for the OEM luggage I'm all ears...

:bom_ears:

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you bought yours new it should have come with a bunch of extra keys. Check your bag with the original paperwork. Mine came with a key for each lock and two extra locks in case I bought a top box, which I did.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you bought yours new it should have come with a bunch of extra keys. Check your bag with the original paperwork. Mine came with a key for each lock and two extra locks in case I bought a top box, which I did.
Do the adventures always come with the extra locks? Bought a 2013 adventure new, and it only came with one set of extra keys (ignition and boxes). No extra locks/keys.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I bought my 2012 Adventure new in Jan 14. It came with a couple extra locks for the optional top box but only one set of keys. A bunch of extra keys would have been great. Did most come with a bunch of keys?

dogen said:
I ordered a set of keys and cylinders from Twisted Throttle. You can buy sets of 2,4,or 6.
Lock set for 1 TraX EVO ALU-BOX case. - TwistedThrottle.
Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Has anyone with the 12+ 650 Adventure OEM luggage replaced a key? I broke one off earlier today. I just stopped by the local dealer and they said keys are unavailable and that I'd need to buy a new lockset.

I'd prefer to just to have a spare key made, so if anyone knows how to source a blank for the OEM luggage I'm all ears...

:bom_ears:
It's a Yale Y10 if memory serves - take the broken key to a locksmith and they will make you a proper brass key, that's what I did. They also lubed the locks with some high-speed low-drag silicon that makes them work much better. And charged me about $10 for it all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's a Yale Y10 if memory serves - take the broken key to a locksmith and they will make you a proper brass key, that's what I did. They also lubed the locks with some high-speed low-drag silicon that makes them work much better. And charged me about $10 for it all.
It cost 12$ and you have two new cylinder locks and two new keys from twisted trottle. You can buy a kit and have them in spare too. The keys are more durable than OEM ones too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It cost 12$ and you have two new cylinder locks and two new keys from twisted trottle. You can buy a kit and have them in spare too. The keys are more durable than OEM ones too.
Right now I have the adventure 6 keyed-alike lock set (4 installed, 2 extra for the optional top box) and 1 key. I'd like to avoid having to deal with multiple keys and I don't feel like buying a new 6 lock set and replacing the originals. Much easier to have a key made.

PloughJockey said:
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
366 Posts
i too need a new key.. the plastic broke on mine (ended up drilling through the metal bit to keep it on my keychain) looked online at the yale y10 and it does not look like a match... the yale y13 does look like it might work though.

whoever they got these keys from sure did a crap job of it... the part of the key that extends into the plastic (would it be called a tang? like a knife?) only is a tiny piece instead of being the whole part including the loop.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i too need a new key.. the plastic broke on mine (ended up drilling through the metal bit to keep it on my keychain) looked online at the yale y10 and it does not look like a match... the yale y13 does look like it might work though.

whoever they got these keys from sure did a crap job of it... the part of the key that extends into the plastic (would it be called a tang? like a knife?) only is a tiny piece instead of being the whole part including the loop.
It did take some fiddling by the locksmith before he got one that worked, and he gave me three of them. He was pretty unimpressed when he saw the OEM keys and whatever terribly brittle pot metal they're made of. Coupled with the finicky locks (until they're lubricated properly), it's a recipe for disaster. I snapped the key off in my top box the day I picked my bike up - in fact, I was at the credit union picking up the draft to pay for it when it happened.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hillman FR3

You can also use key brand "Hillman" and the style (or whatever you call it) is: FR3

I had one made at my local hardware store; it has a normal shape and it works well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought a 2014 650 adventure. I cannot find a lock on it. The bag with the ignitions keys and manual did not include any other keys. The manual doesn't say anything about locking the boxes. Can someone post a picture of the lock so I can see if I missed something or if the dealer didn't put something on that should be there. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts