StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just found an eBay listing for new OEM heated grips for $90 plus 8 shipping. It is not my listing and I have no idea who is selling them, I just wanted to pass along a good deal to someone who needs them. It actually has a buy it now OBO. Type DL1000 grips in the search and you will find them. Good luck:willy_nilly: Looks like they are gone, hope someone got a good deal.

·
Registered
703 Posts
nothing to do with ebay

I'm continuing with this thread to take advantage of the title and to reduce the ever growing number of threads.

I have read a lot about heated grips on this site, but very little if any, about OEM heated grips. I am shopping around for a set and I like the fact that the OEM ones wire directly into the bikes wiring harness (things electrical scare me...particulalry where electrical includes computers). That said, I am concerned by their apparent lack of popularity here at Stromtrooper. Can anyone give me some guidance?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The used '06 Strom I bought had the OEM heated grips installed by the previous owner. I too have read that some folks don't care for them, but they worked great thru last winter. Just turned them on the other night on the way home from work. Still functioning.

Never had heated grips on any other bikes, so I have nothing else to compare them with.

·
0 Posts
Jimm, the main reason the factory ones aren't popular is because of price.

There are numerous options available for quite a but less money.

Example:
I'm running the Dual Star Panel Grip Heaters underneath ProGrip 714 grips.
Cost for both...right around $70, wiring and HI LOW OFF switch included.
I think they work great...at least as well as two previous BMW Motorcycles did that had stock heated grips.

BTD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are the OEM grips the same for all the stroms, the ones listed on Ebay are part 57100 06860 they say they are for DL1000. What would be different for a 650?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Are the OEM grips the same for all the stroms, the ones listed on Ebay are part 57100 06860 they say they are for DL1000. What would be different for a 650?
No. I think there are 2 parts no's for the 650...early models and 07 up

I have read a bit more since my original post and like the idea of installing an Eastern Beaver plug for these and other stuff.

I also suspect that price was an issue when OEM on Ebay =$80 and Oxford =$75 +/-.

Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am running the Oxford heaters, built into the grip not the wrap arounds. I am very happy with them. I had some issues with the controller initially as they are sensitive to voltage fluxuations however, they seem to work great now. I couldnt imagine being without them now.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I am running the Oxford heaters, built into the grip not the wrap arounds. I am very happy with them. I had some issues with the controller initially as they are sensitive to voltage fluxuations however, they seem to work great now. I couldnt imagine being without them now.

In Ontario Canada so how cold can you go? Do you have the hand guards?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Today I was quoted $300 and change for OEM heated grips. I have just ordered some Oxford Heaterz.

·
Administrator
16,990 Posts
OEM heaters are expensive garbage, and I will continue to say that.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
OEM heaters are expensive garbage, and I will continue to say that.
I second your motion. The coldest my hands have ever been were riding through the Applachians on my blue Strom with the OEM heated grips. The heating pad is on one strip aligned to the heel of the palm of your hand. If you try to turn them up hot enough to warm your fingers, they burn spots right in that spot of both hands. So you have to keep them turned down low enough to not get too hot on that spot, and the rest of your hand suffers.

I put Oxford's on my second Strom and liked them a whole lot better. The power switch and rehostat buttons were a lot more awkward, but the performance of the grips was a million times better.

Of course this is just my opinion. I gave the bike to my son and he likes them just fine. Maybe I'm just a cranky whiney ole man! :var_38:

·
Registered
195 Posts
The OEM heaters were on my bike when I got it this year. Like others have said, they are not cheap. The thing I do like about them is the fact that the temp is infinitetly adjustable. Do I think that is worth $250? No. They work well so far, so no complaints there. I have seen an aftermarket grip that was in a catalog I have that looked like the same thing for like $80. They had the adjustable heat feature as well. I will look tonight to see if I can find them and I will post info for every one.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The OEM heaters were on my bike when I got it this year. Like others have said, they are not cheap. The thing I do like about them is the fact that the temp is infinitetly adjustable. Do I think that is worth $250? No. They work well so far, so no complaints there. I have seen an aftermarket grip that was in a catalog I have that looked like the same thing for like $80. They had the adjustable heat feature as well. I will look tonight to see if I can find them and I will post info for every one.
Just curious, but do you notice equal coverage using the OEM heaters or is do you also think it is concentrated towards the palms like a previous poster commented? I was thinking of getting the OEM heaters only because the install seems easy enough for a non technical guy. I also like the infinite controller. I am not a fan of adding the odd switches or buttons I have seen on after market kinds; however, the aftermarket ones seem more popular. I am really struggling on my decision.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Has anyone had good experiences with the ones that wrap over the existing grip?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just curious, but do you notice equal coverage using the OEM heaters or is do you also think it is concentrated towards the palms like a previous poster commented? I was thinking of getting the OEM heaters only because the install seems easy enough for a non technical guy. I also like the infinite controller. I am not a fan of adding the odd switches or buttons I have seen on after market kinds; however, the aftermarket ones seem more popular. I am really struggling on my decision.
I have noticed the heat varies from grip to grip. One time the left is hotter than the right. other times it is the opposite. It seems to be prettty even across each grip though. They do give off some heat though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I did find the other hot grips that look like the OEM ones. I can't get the link to work, but they are from dennis kirk. part #59-4661 They list them for a goldwing, but they look exactly like the set on my bike. They are made by Show Chrome. They are in the metric cruiser catalog and sell for $88.00 I'm not sure if they are identical, but look pretty close.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm using the Hot Grips and really like them. Even heat over the entire grip and the grip is slightly larger than the stock which is better for me anyway. Depending on how confortable you are with wiring them you may or may not like them for that reason only. I had no problem wiring mine up with variable temperature control.

Bubba

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought the under grip element type. I am going to wire them to an under seat fuse box. My only issue is the switch. Jim at eastern beaver says his bar mount switches will not work, not big enough. I hate to drill holes in a stock bike, thoughts? What are you other smart guys running??? HELP

·
Registered
22,265 Posts
I've had Hotgrips and Kimpex grip heaters on other bike, I have OEM grips on my Vee, if people are having non uniform heating problems with oem, I wonder what they are wearing for gloves ?

I find that the oem grips work just as well as the others I have had. and I'm happy I went with them cause of the clean install and glove friendly control

however, I don't rely on grips to keep my hands warm when its gets real frigid, once it goes below 25° I put my Gerbings gloves on

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Use a Heat Troller instead of a switch. You wouldn't settle for a switch instead of a thermostat to turn the heat off and on in your home so why do it on your bike? You can use the semi mounted controller at http://www.warmnsafe.com/motorcycle_handgrips.php by Velcroing to the top of your master cylinder reservoir if you are against drilling. A cheap place to drill is the plastic band across the front of the fuel tank. There are two places where there is room to mount a Troller and it's cheap to replace if you want to go back to stock.

If you go for a switch, just add a relay and any switch, handlebar mount included, can be used to run the relay.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts