StromTrooper banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
The OEM grips for the DL1050 have a button on the left grip. First press turns it on maximum heat, 2nd press lowers it one step, third lowers it to the lowest level and next press turns it on. The light blinks as you press the button. First press three blinks, 2nd two blinks and 3rd three blinks then off (or maybe it's other way around. I stopped looking.)

Hope that helps!

..Tom
Thank you so much for this!
Mine were installed by the dealership and they didn't include the instructions with the bike.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I suppose red orange yellow is simpler for people that clearly see colour and for all I know the stock ones do that as well as blink. But since I don't see color very well it would be totally useless to me.

Still how can colours make more sense than 3, 2 and 1 blink?

Either way the reality is it's pretty moot as usually I find I have always started heated grips at their full heat and just turned down as they became too hot. I liked the "Hot Grips" brand grips (they invented the heated grips) controlled by an infinitely variable controller the best. Want it a bit cooler just turn it down a bit. Hotter, just turn it up a bit. Or a lot. (Unfortunately "Hot Grips" doesn't seem to be picking up the phone or answering emails.)

..Tom
Fair points.

I picked up my V-Strom last Friday but had commitments over the weekend. I spent a couple hours today fitting the side case mounts for Givi OutBack Trekker side cases and the top case monkey plate as well. It was pretty much a coin toss as to whether I would start with these two installations or do the heated grips first. Since it is summer and temps are creeping up over 100 over the next week, I decided to do luggage first.

Much to my chagrin I see that Suzuki prefers we disassemble the rear of the bike to “properly” fit the heat controller at the rear most position possible. Based on where that red colored connection is, I think it will stay put. While I can be pretty OCD about a neat installation, I cannot see a reason to remove the rear of the bike which will also REQUIRE removing the top case rack and side case supports I spent two hours installing today. I may tackle the heated grips tomorrow or wait until Wendnesday. With temps soaring I won’t want to ride for the next week or so anyway so I am not in a hurry.

NC

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am almost done with the install and I started nearly four hours ago. I cannot for the life of me find the connector at the rear of the bike for attaching the wiring harness (controller). I see a red plastic connector and figured that was it but no dice. I can start to remove the rear portions of the bike but I would really like to avoid that if at all possible. Can someone tell if the read plastic connector is what I am supposed to use? The connector will not fit so if that is it, I somehow received a wiring harness that is not wired correctly. Now I know the chances of that are 99.99999999% impossible but you never know.

NC

I think I figured it out. The controller doesn't connect to ANYTHING at the rear of the bike it is just stored here. I think I read that in this thread somewhere and now it makes sense; kinda. I still don't know what that red plastic connector is for.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Install complete. Four hour start until almost finished. I need to get body panels back on the bike but I'll take a break and get to that later. I powered them up and the light flashed just like V-Tom said it would. And yes it is plenty positive. I did not test their heat level as I assume that HAS to be functioning. I am just going to install the controller box beside the little tool bag. I'll velcro that in place and call it good. Now as long as I get everything back together without scratching anything I'll be a happy man.

NC

·
Registered
324 Posts
Done.

Very time consuming but worth the effort. I did NOT install the controller under the rear most portion of the seat. I secured it with velcro right beside the red plastic electrical connector to nowhere.

The only snafu . . . . is the I now have a single leftover plastic rivet. I put everything back together like it should and nothing feels loose to me. If anyone can tell me where it goes I would appreciate it (don't take this last part too seriously).

New tires by the weekend and then it is time to ride.

NC

·
Registered
303 Posts
[QUOTE="Numbercruncher, post: 5565325, member: 179]

The only snafu . . . . is the I now have a single leftover plastic rivet. I put everything back together like it should and nothing feels loose to me. If anyone can tell me where it goes I would appreciate it (don't take this last part too seriously).

[/QUOTE]
I had the same rivet left over so I just put in the spare parts box untill the next strip down.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
The plastic rivet is probably mine as I am missing one after installing my heated grips.
I now also have one bolt leftover and can't figure out where it goes :unsure:

We can probably add a section to the classifieds section for extra parts leftover from disassembly that can be shared with those missing parts from disassembly :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2020 Orange and White 1050xt
57 Posts
Just put mine on yesterday. Thanks to
[QUOTE="Numbercruncher, post: 5565325, member: 179]

I had the same rivet left over so I just put in the spare parts box untill the next strip down.
[/QUOTE]
I noticed a single plastic rivit above the rear seat external power outlet...maybe from there?

·
Registered
989 Posts
I installed the grips today. The kits comes with left and right side grips (the original grips are not reused), wiring harness, controller and other bits of hardware. It was a finicky job, taking about 4 hours in total. This included removing the required body parts and panels, and was made more difficult because I had side case and top box carriers that had to come off as well. That said, I'm happy with the end result. It's a very clean, OEM (obviously!) look and they function well, perhaps too hot at maximum on this August day.

The stock heater connection is near the radiator on the right side so the right side panel has to be removed to access it and make the connections. The instructions say to remove both side panels, but removal of the left really isn't required. The tail piece/rack must be removed and the rear fender loosened order to install the heater controller in the recommended location (see pics below with arrows). It could be installed anywhere really, but the recommended location is very clean and out of the way, and you don't have to coil up the wiring harness and tuck it away somewhere. Also, the instructions recommend removing the right radiator bolt in order to slide the grip connectors through the gap between radiator and frame. However, loosening the bolt several turns allowed the rad to be moved enough to accomplish this.

I assumed the grip heaters would simply plug into the stock heater connector near the radiator, but this is not the case. The included wiring harness actually connects to this plug. The grips also connect to the harness at this end, and the heater controller connects at the other end. The most difficult part of the installation was snaking that harness through small openings in and around the frame in order to conceal it as much as possible. In the end it's worth the trouble because you can barely see the harness. And Suzuki kindly added purple tape to the harness to indicate the recommended spots to fasten it to the frame with the included zip ties. Some of the stock fasteners are also re-used.

The kit seems to be of good quality. The grips are similar to those removed, the connections are solid and the cables/harness are all exactly the correct length. And as I said earlier, I really like the clean look without a large control panel. Yes, the kit was quite a bit more expensive than an Oxford kit, but to each their own. Once the weather gets colder and I start using them I'll report back.

Hover the cursor over the pics for a short description.

Cheers!
K
View attachment 276649 View attachment 276650 View attachment 276651 View attachment 276653 View attachment 276654 View attachment 276655 View attachment 276656 View attachment 276657 View attachment 276658 View attachment 276659
Skinner

a couple of questions

1) are the heated grips thicker than the stock items?
2) Are you located anywhere near the GTA?

Thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Skinner

a couple of questions

1) are the heated grips thicker than the stock items?
2) Are you located anywhere near the GTA?

Thanks
1. The heated grips do not seem any thicker. They feel the same as stock to me.
2. I'm close to Windsor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1. The heated grips do not seem any thicker. They feel the same as stock to me.
2. I'm close to Windsor.
Hey Skinner,

I just got my VStrom this past September and I’m quite pleased with it. It’s a great bike and a nice upgrade from the CB500F. I do want to add the OEM heated grips like you have, but I am a still little unclear about a couple steps in the process.

I’m trying to identify the vehicle harness coupler that the grip heater lead wire plugs into. The photo in the installation guide is not very clear. Thanks for posting the guide BTW. I took a couple photos of what I think is the coupler behind the radiator on the right side the bike. Could you confirm that it is?

Also, is the throttle grip installation as simple as sliding the old grip off and sliding the new one on (making sure the boss is in the groove)?

Cheers,

Clay
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Tread Rim

·
Registered
'20 DL1050XT
3,499 Posts
^ that is the connector

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Hey Skinner,

I just got my VStrom this past September and I’m quite pleased with it. It’s a great bike and a nice upgrade from the CB500F. I do want to add the OEM heated grips like you have, but I am a still little unclear about a couple steps in the process.

I’m trying to identify the vehicle harness coupler that the grip heater lead wire plugs into. The photo in the installation guide is not very clear. Thanks for posting the guide BTW. I took a couple photos of what I think is the coupler behind the radiator on the right side the bike. Could you confirm that it is?

Also, is the throttle grip installation as simple as sliding the old grip off and sliding the new one on (making sure the boss is in the groove)?

Cheers,

Clay
View attachment 294827

View attachment 294828
Meefazh beat me to it. Yes, that's the connector. And the throttle grip installation is that simple, as you describe.

Cheers!
K

·
Registered
50 Posts
I thought the OEM grips plugged into the connector under the rear seat, not the one shown above behind the top of the radiator.
The OE heated grips get their power from the switched live plug near the horn. The control box gets situated at the rear of the bike as per the instructions. It looks like the control box should get plugged in at the rear of the bike but it doesn't, it is just located there but it could be located anywhere if required.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts