StromTrooper banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Instructions for the DL1050 attached. My apologies for the poor quality; the original is a small manual and I created the PDF with my phone.

And I also installed with hairspray - no issues with slippage at all.

Cheers!
K

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 V-Strom 1050
21 Posts
Instructions for the DL1050 attached. My apologies for the poor quality; the original is a small manual and I created the PDF with my phone.

And I also installed with hairspray - no issues with slippage at all.

Cheers!
K
Much appreciated skinner, quality looks fine, just needed the wordings in english since I should have the diagrams. Thanks for confirming that the hairspray works perfectly!

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 V-Strom 1050
21 Posts
For those looking to get an OEM heated grip, I just received mine from japan.webike.net. They have the lowest price I found, around $210 (fluctuates due to exchange rate) plus shipping. I chose the $40 shipping option so total was $250, no tax and I didn't have to pay any import duty either. I was lucky that they had 1 in stock, ordered on Saturday and received on Tuesday. Website says instructions are in Japanese, but I did receive the "booklet" that has English as well. Thank you skinner, I will follow your tips for the install.

·
Registered
2020 Vstrom 1050xt Adventure / 2006 Vstrom 1000
24 Posts
Agreed. The most unnerving part of the job was removing the panels carefully to avoid breaking those all important little tabs. A dealer would be trying to finish in less than the time alotted for the repair, so rushing would be likely. Doing it yourself you know it's done properly.

Enjoy the grips. I find they work very well and are plenty warm enough.
Great write up Skinner! Before I purchased my 1050xt ADV, I assisted my dad with installing the OEM heated grips on his 2017 Africa Twin. (which the grips are suspiciously similar to the Vstrom grips, minus the rubber pattern) Anyway, it was a PAIN IN THE ASS! after breaking a couple plastic tabs, lots of cussing and beer drinking, we got them installed and all worked out. Im glad we went through that process, because when I saw the suspiciously same looking heated grip style on the Strom, it was a big weigh in factor when deciding between the XT and the XT ADV. hahaha.

Reactions: Skinner

·
Registered
15 Posts
For those looking to get an OEM heated grip, I just received mine from japan.webike.net. They have the lowest price I found, around $210 (fluctuates due to exchange rate) plus shipping. I chose the $40 shipping option so total was $250, no tax and I didn't have to pay any import duty either. I was lucky that they had 1 in stock, ordered on Saturday and received on Tuesday. Website says instructions are in Japanese, but I did receive the "booklet" that has English as well. Thank you skinner, I will follow your tips for the install.

Hey thanks for the tip...ordered one as well but no stock, expected shipout is mid-May! Oh well not that I'd need it urgently with summer coming.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Many complaints online that the OEM grips do not get hot enough. I need to know that they provide adequate warmth with a winter glove in temperatures down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't need below freezing warmth but don't want to spend big bucks for cold hands.

Regarding functionality my impression as to how they work is the power indicator is only one color and you have to invoke a somewhat complicated pushing of the button to cycle through the power settings as opposed to any simpler color change of the LED power light. Is this correct?

I would consider the Apollo grips but I have heard that none of the universal grips work with the electronic throttle control but that may be hogwash. I don't mind pulling the bike apart to install the factory grips but hard wiring to the battery will be SO much easier. Also, the Apollos are on the long side and since I won't have my bike until Friday, I cannot tell how much room there is to mount a longer throttle tube, let alone find one.

NC

·
Administrator
14,470 Posts
So this arrived for me at my dealer today:
I ordered them in May, before I even took delivery of my 1050. They've been on back order until now. After going through the instruction manual it seems a bit more involved than your typical Oxford installation. For example, the grip controller module attaches to a connector in the tail piece, which requires removing the back rack assembly. I plan to install them this weekend - I'll post pics.

K
I'm pretty sure I didnt remove the luggage rack when I installed mine.

..Tom

·
Administrator
14,470 Posts
Many complaints online that the OEM grips do not get hot enough. I need to know that they provide adequate warmth with a winter glove in temperatures down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't need below freezing warmth but don't want to spend big bucks for cold hands.

Regarding functionality my impression as to how they work is the power indicator is only one color and you have to invoke a somewhat complicated pushing of the button to cycle through the power settings as opposed to any simpler color change of the LED power light. Is this correct?
People 's expectation differ but they worked fine for me when riding down to single digit F°. I also had on heated gloves.

As far as operating: turn on it goes to full power and the light blinks three times. Press the button again medium power two blinks. Hit it again and low power one blink. Next hit turns if off. Niot veryu complicated.

..Tom

·
Registered
165 Posts
People 's expectation differ but they worked fine for me when riding down to single digit F°. I also had on heated gloves.

As far as operating: turn on it goes to full power and the light blinks three times. Press the button again medium power two blinks. Hit it again and low power one blink. Next hit turns if off. Niot veryu complicated.

..Tom
Agree. Plus more integrated vs bulky aftermarket power modules used by some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought my 1050 used. The heated grips were already installed. I am glad because I probably would have bought and installed them myself. If I
Had done that I would have been pissed at myself. The Oxford heated grips that I had on my 701 were better in every way except looks. I keep thinking about removing the OEM grips and installing Oxford's.

·
Registered
324 Posts

..Tom
Agree on not very complicated. But also not as simple as a red/orange/yellow color scheme either.

Glad to hear yours worked down to single digits but I am sure heated gloves also helped. I think I'll be fine with the stock output as I don't want my hands to actually feel hot as then they'll sweat. I just don't want them to ever feel cold and numb.

Thanks Tom.

NC

·
Registered
324 Posts
I bought my 1050 used. The heated grips were already installed. I am glad because I probably would have bought and installed them myself. If I
Had done that I would have been pissed at myself. The Oxford heated grips that I had on my 701 were better in every way except looks. I keep thinking about removing the OEM grips and installing Oxford's.
If you go that route make sure to look at the Apollo grips. Grip length not withstanding, the controller for heat is built into the grip like the stock unit so you avoid that cumbersome looking controller device. I had Oxfords on an Africa Twin and my only gripe was that when the grips were on a medium to high setting, the left side would rotate freely. This was a common complaint about three years ago on the AT and V-Stroms so I assume Oxford had a batch that were just a little too large in diameter.

Given that the Apollo's aren't that much money, I may buy a set if I can find a longer throttle tube and take look at them in person and see if I want to give them a go. If not, I can buy the Suzuki ones and sell the Apollo's to get some money back.

NC

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you go that route make sure to look at the Apollo grips. Grip length not withstanding, the controller for heat is built into the grip like the stock unit so you avoid that cumbersome looking controller device. I had Oxfords on an Africa Twin and my only gripe was that when the grips were on a medium to high setting, the left side would rotate freely. This was a common complaint about three years ago on the AT and V-Stroms so I assume Oxford had a batch that were just a little too large in diameter.

Given that the Apollo's aren't that much money, I may buy a set if I can find a longer throttle tube and take look at them in person and see if I want to give them a go. If not, I can buy the Suzuki ones and sell the Apollo's to get some money back.

NC
I'll assess my needs in the winter, but if I do I'll consider the Apollo. Thank you for the recommendation.

·
Administrator
14,470 Posts
Agree on not very complicated. But also not as simple as a red/orange/yellow color scheme either.

Glad to hear yours worked down to single digits but I am sure heated gloves also helped. I think I'll be fine with the stock output as I don't want my hands to actually feel hot as then they'll sweat. I just don't want them to ever feel cold and numb.

Thanks Tom.

NC
I suppose red orange yellow is simpler for people that clearly see colour and for all I know the stock ones do that as well as blink. But since I don't see color very well it would be totally useless to me.

Still how can colours make more sense than 3, 2 and 1 blink?

Either way the reality is it's pretty moot as usually I find I have always started heated grips at their full heat and just turned down as they became too hot. I liked the "Hot Grips" brand grips (they invented the heated grips) controlled by an infinitely variable controller the best. Want it a bit cooler just turn it down a bit. Hotter, just turn it up a bit. Or a lot. (Unfortunately "Hot Grips" doesn't seem to be picking up the phone or answering emails.)

..Tom

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
You could perhaps pull the heated grip fuse, when not in use. I do this with the heated grips on my rides. My early model oxfords, with the older rheostat type controller, has a red power led that is sometimes difficult to see under certain light conditions.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts